Memorial Day - Just have to say it.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 80
John Crupper | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, May 25 2012 7:06 AM

When my home page came up with the Proclaim ad and the top slide in the deck was "Happy Memorial Day" I found it troubling. Memorial Day is a day set aside to remember the ultimate sacrifice of those who have given their lives for their country. I hope the many pastors across the country who have consoled a grieving young spouse and the children who have lost their parent in combat will not think of Memorial Day as a time to be "Happy."  My own military service was in the Air Force Reserve and Army National Guard. Certainly not the equivalent to those who have served in combat. My other peeve about Memorial Day is when we ask all those who have served to stand. Save that for Veteran's Day. Rather, ask for those who have lost a loved one in service to their country to stand and pray for them. The fact that we as a nation have turned Memorial Day into a celebration of the beginning of summer only shows how short our memory is regarding the price paid for our freedom. There, I feel better.

Posts 10893
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 25 2012 7:09 AM

Well spoken Yes

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 25 2012 7:15 AM

Agreed Yes

Posts 3760
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 25 2012 9:06 AM

Jack Caviness:

Well spoken Yes

Yes +1

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
iPad 9th Gen iOS 15.6, 256GB

Posts 325
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 25 2012 9:10 AM

Amen and Semper Fi!

Posts 1668
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 25 2012 9:52 AM

Amen and Amen!

Posts 743
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 25 2012 10:09 AM

John Crupper:

When my home page came up with the Proclaim ad and the top slide in the deck was "Happy Memorial Day" I found it troubling. Memorial Day is a day set aside to remember the ultimate sacrifice of those who have given their lives for their country. I hope the many pastors across the country who have consoled a grieving young spouse and the children who have lost their parent in combat will not think of Memorial Day as a time to be "Happy."  My own military service was in the Air Force Reserve and Army National Guard. Certainly not the equivalent to those who have served in combat. My other peeve about Memorial Day is when we ask all those who have served to stand. Save that for Veteran's Day. Rather, ask for those who have lost a loved one in service to their country to stand and pray for them. The fact that we as a nation have turned Memorial Day into a celebration of the beginning of summer only shows how short our memory is regarding the price paid for our freedom. There, I feel better.

May we never forget their sacrifices!

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | 4 Portfolio | 5 Platinum | 6 Feature Crossgrade | 7 Essential | 8 M & W Platinum and Academic Professional | 9 Academic Professional and Messianic Jewish Diamond

Posts 249
Giovanni Baggio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 25 2012 6:43 PM

You and your technicalities...LOL...

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND!!!! LET'S PARTY!!!

My friend was a soldier who served both in dessert storm and afganistan and he said he didn't want me to be sad on memorial day, he wanted me to party for him and have all the fun in the world.  So forget your technicalities, it's a HOLIDAY...HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!!!

Giovanni

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 25 2012 7:53 PM

Giovanni Baggio:

You and your technicalities...LOL...

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND!!!! LET'S PARTY!!!

My friend was a soldier who served both in dessert storm and afganistan and he said he didn't want me to be sad on memorial day, he wanted me to party for him and have all the fun in the world.  So forget your technicalities, it's a HOLIDAY...HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!!!

Giovanni

While in Kuwait I performed over 50 dignified transfers of soldiers and sailors why died so that you can have a happy memorial days. They may have just been technicalities to you and by all means celebrate them as such. But they are not technicalities to me or their families. You are as free to celebrate a holiday as I am to respect their lives. Please enjoy your weekend. They gave their lives so you could do so. 

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 25 2012 8:32 PM

Memorial Day is one day, out of 365, that we dedicate to solemnly remember the cost of 364 "happy," "Let's party" days a year. Visit a memorial to the fallen on Monday, and you might just learn to better appreciate the parties on the other 364 days.

Syntax Searching Group | Michigan Logos Users | L5 FAQ | OSX 10.10 | 2.4 GHz i5 | 8 GB Ram

Posts 6010
Simon’s Brother | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 25 2012 9:20 PM

John Crupper:
Memorial Day is a day set aside to remember the ultimate sacrifice of those who have given their lives for their country.

In Australia and New Zealand our equivalent is on April 25 and is called ANZAC day. I totally agree with your concerns John.  I've never heard anyway say 'Happy ANZAC Day".  We should, on these days a healthy appreciation for what those who have given their lives have done for our respective nations. It's not just another 'holiday'.   Thank you to those who have shared a little of their story.

Posts 452
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 25 2012 9:24 PM

Even as a pacifist, I agree with the theme of this thread. Memorial Day should be a day to remember all of those who have died in the name of redemptive violence. As Christians (no matter what our view on war), we should commemorate this day in a few other ways as well - we pray for our enemies, for those who have died on all sides of conflicts, and for the civilians as well, and we reflect on the knowledge and hope of a future where Christ has put an end to all wars.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 26 2012 2:53 AM

John Crupper, well said.

Halo Hound,

Please DNFTT.  Just to let you know, you are responding to a person who is just offensive (IMHO) as Westboro Baptist Church.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS