Systematic Study Plan

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 29 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 649
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, May 27 2012 5:51 AM

I am putting together what I envision will be a five to seven year systematic study plan using Logos software, traditional text (paper), and internet resources.  I am doing this for my own personal studies to help me in my Christian growth and ministry.  Some of the areas of my studies will include but not limited to:

Bible study methods (including how to use Logos software effectively)

Whole Bible Overview - using introductions, surveys and Bible guides to get the overall message of the Bible.

In depth study of the Bible book by book working through the old and new testament.

Favorite Authors - Study of books and authors that interest me for example Spurgeon, G Campbell Morgan, Piper, NT Wright and others.

Ministry Skills - Methods for teaching, witnessing and evangelism.

Counselling Skills - Study of principles of biblical counselling and ministry.

Has anyone here developed a similar plan?  Do you have any suggestions or authors/books/commentaries etc. that you have found particularly helpful?  Is there area that you think I am missing that I should include? 

Posts 2492
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 27 2012 6:31 AM

Sounds like a great undertaking. 

Bible Study Methods - Rick Warren has a book covering this topic.  I have not read it, but I've talked to others who have followed his methods and recommend his ideas.

http://www.logos.com/product/5445/rick-warrens-bible-study-methods

In your focus on Ministry adding an apologetic resource or two would be beneficial for witnessing.  Logos has a number of these resources.  Josh McDowell has several resources available in Logos as does Norman Geisler.

http://www.logos.com/product/8810/the-norman-l-geisler-apologetics-library

General Introduction to the Bible - by Geisler.  I've not read it from cover to cover, but have referred to it frequently.  He goes in depth on the inspiration, transmission and canonization of the Bible.  Josh McDowell has numerous quotes from his book.

http://www.logos.com/product/192/a-general-introduction-to-the-bible-revised-and-expanded

Evidence for Christianity - very good, covers a lot of information, but is a rather thick book - so it may be more than you need.

http://www.logos.com/product/10168/evidence-for-christianity

Answers to Tough Questions - this resource doesn't go much in depth, but it is very concise, giving 1-2 page answers to each question.

http://www.logos.com/product/1185/answers-to-tough-questions

Canon of Scripture - by FF Bruce is about how we got the Bible.

http://www.logos.com/product/2979/the-canon-of-scripture

For Counseling - June Hunt has a collection covering many counseling topics.  Each book is short and concise.  I haven't looked at this collection very closely, but it seems like there is a lot of scripture references with basic steps to help others.

http://www.logos.com/product/5265/hope-for-the-heart-biblical-counseling-library

Competent to Counsel by Adams and Christian Counseling: A Comprehension Guide are both good.

http://www.logos.com/product/17703/competent-to-counsel

http://www.logos.com/product/3191/christian-counseling-a-comprehensive-guide

A study of Systematic Theology would good.  I don't have any specific recommendations here.  I have several Systematic Theology resources in Logos, but have not had time to look at them closely to know which on to recommend.  I'm sure someone else can add more information. 

Hope this helps.

Posts 2348
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 27 2012 6:31 AM

Michael Kinch:

Is there area that you think I am missing that I should include? 

You seem to have both HEAD (knowledge) and HANDS (ministry skills); I encourage you to not neglect the HEART.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 401
Sam West | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 27 2012 11:58 AM

Michael Kinch:

You need to check out Dr. Utley,s inductive bible study method. http://www.freebiblecommentary.org/  in fact he has a lot of resources in L4. i would recommend this method to anyone who wants to really get an education in the Word that is comparable to a 4 year seminary eduction.

Posts 1883
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 27 2012 12:52 PM

Sam West:
check out Dr. Utley

Interestingly, of the two texts found in the link, the shorter one, the Seminar Lecture Notebook, is available in Logos as You Can Understand the Bible Seminar. The longer Seminar Textbook doesn't appear to be offered by Logos. A number of Dr. Utley's commentaries and the shorter text are apparently a part of most base packages.

Win 10 | Android 9 | Fire OS 5

Things I'd like, but have had to give up hope for: PB mobile; Read Aloud mobile; MS Word Logos SmartTags; Phillips NT in Logos

Posts 649
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 27 2012 5:24 PM

Thank-you everyone for your excellent suggestions.  I am copying your posts into my notes and will use your suggestions in developing my study plan.  I already have some of the materials that have been suggested but certainly not all.  I have some more to add to my library now ;). I do have some of Dr. Utleys materials in Logos.  He also sent me a cd with his materials some time ago.  I will have to locate it and have a look at it again.

David Thomas, you suggested not neglecting the heart.  Do you have any specific recommendations to accomplish that?  Were you thinking of devotional materials?  I think I will need to include some topical studies on Prayer and growing in my relationship with God.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 27 2012 5:41 PM

Michael Kinch:

One idea is looking in your library for:

(read,study) bible (worth,methods)

Edit: Logos recently shipped => Tyndale Bible Study Collection (5 vols.) that includes: How to Study the Bible and Enjoy It

Also may want to learn a bit about Greek verbal system, which is more expressive than English.

My favorite Logos 4 feature is visual filter highlighting using Logos Greek Morphology so can see range of verbal expression in a passage in Greek and English resources with appropriate tagging.  Also like using Lexham Discourse Greek New Testament (LDGNT) with interlinear display showing Greek manuscript and Louw-Nida numbers: can hover mouse on Louw-Nida # for semantic contextual range of meaning pop-up plus can hover over Greek words with Discourse Analysis tagging to pop-up my customized LDGNT glossary with questions, thread => Suggestion: Discourse Greek NT more customizable includes personal book docx file.

Wiki Extended Tips for Visual Filters has => Examples of visual filters with screen shots showing Logos Greek Morphology filters with highlighting palette.  Personally learned to create palette and styles first, then create visual filters.

Likewise have customized my lexicon priorities so right click has 10 choices: 5 for lemma and 5 for Strong's numbers => searching strong's numbers since several discussion lexicons are indexed by Strong's numbers.

Michael Kinch:
Do you have any suggestions or authors/books/commentaries etc. that you have found particularly helpful?

My favorite commentary series is the UBS Handbooks; wiki Logos Resource Reviews  has => UBS New Testament Handbook Series  and => UBS Old Testament Handbook Series  that includes link to => Logos 4 Blog: Quickly Access the UBS Handbooks 

Currently, my second highest prioritized commentary series is => The Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges (58 vols.)  that is currently not in any base package

David Thomas:

Michael Kinch:

Is there area that you think I am missing that I should include? 

You seem to have both HEAD (knowledge) and HANDS (ministry skills); I encourage you to not neglect the HEART.

Could look in your Logos library for:

prayer

whose ranked results in my Library had # 1 => The Pastor in Prayer by Charles Spurgeon

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 582
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 27 2012 5:58 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

My favorite commentary series is the UBS Handbooks; wiki Logos Resource Reviews  has => UBS New Testament Handbook Series  and => UBS Old Testament Handbook Series  that includes link to => Logos 4 Blog: Quickly Access the UBS Handbooks 

Yes Great resources!

πάντα εἰς δόξαν θεοῦ ποιεῖτε

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 27 2012 6:30 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Thanks for posting this blog posts...I just used it to prioritize the UBS Handbooks, very thankful that I have both OT an NT Series.

Blessings,

Philana

Posts 649
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 28 2012 6:41 PM

Thanks Keep Smiling.  I have been reading alot of good things about the UBS Handbook Series.  I think I will have to upgrade soon and get it.  I appreciate your advice.

Posts 2348
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 29 2012 10:40 AM

Michael Kinch:
David Thomas, you suggested not neglecting the heart.  Do you have any specific recommendations to accomplish that?  Were you thinking of devotional materials?  I think I will need to include some topical studies on Prayer and growing in my relationship with God.

I recently read - http://www.logos.com/product/16572/how-to-worship-jesus-christ which is VERY short, but had some good thoughts

I also gleaned a lot from - http://www.logos.com/product/392/the-training-of-the-twelve

I enjoyed The Complete Green Letters which is part of this collection - http://www.logos.com/product/4343/works-of-miles-j-stanford

I am hoping for more Logos Resources by William Thrasher like this one - http://www.logos.com/product/16567/basics-for-believers-foundational-truths-to-guide-your-life. I am currently reading his "Journey to Victorious Praying" which is not yet in Logos, and he has JUST released "God as He wants you to Know Him."

I applaud your desire to map a plan. I recall one author stating that we tend to overestimate what we can do in the short-term and underestimate what can be accomplished over a longer period of time. I commend your commitment to a longer plan.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 29 2012 11:04 AM

You might also wish to check out The Divine Mentor - Vyrso its a really good book.

Posts 2
Annie Gao | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 30 2012 10:23 PM

t had very hard questions some harder than on the PMP. Very tricky on purpose. It's good that a get whacked like that. Keeps me moving forward. The questions have so many variables it's amazing. Figuring out TCPI is a process within itself. I've got it down, I just have to get this information in the excel sheet. I have a 200 question exam in the head first book and a few pages to review ~10 and I am done with that book. I really need to capture everything in my Excel sheet so the sooner I am through with this book and the cbt the better. Still have several weeks so not to worry. Well maybe a little

pmp exam software

Posts 29462
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 31 2012 3:53 AM

spam

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 325
Robert Wazlavek | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2012 3:03 PM

My only suggestion (that I didn't see mentioned above) would be to read the bible from cover to cover a few times during your endeavor.  Studying using other materials is great, but can never be a substitute for knowing the Scriptures themselves!  (This isn't news to anyone here of course.Smile)

I'm in seminary, and one day this topic came up in class (I don't remember how, lol).  My professor told the class he has read the bible through every year for some odd 13 years and that another teacher has done it 20+.  Upon hearing this, I was struck with inspiration and motivation to do the same.  And it has benefitted me greatly, to say the least.

Good resources for studying the heart was asked about above.  I've found that John Piper has been extraordinarily helpful to me for this.  Not only that, but he writes very intelligently as well.  He is probably my favorite contemporary writer.  Read Desiring God, his main book, of course.  And a few other good ones are Think, Future Grace, and When I Don't Desire God.  To be honest, all his stuff is good really.  Those latter books are just ones I've read recently.

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2012 3:14 PM

Robert Wazlavek:

My only suggestion would be to read the bible from cover to cover a few times during your endeavor.  Studying using other materials is great, but can never be a substitute for knowing the Scriptures themselves!  (This isn't news to anyone here of course.Big Smile)

I'm in seminary, and one day this topic came up in class (I don't remember how).  My professor told me he has read the bible through every year for some odd 13 years and that another teacher has done it 20+.  Upon hearing this, I was struck with inspiration and motivation to do the same.  And it has benefitted me greatly, to say the least.

Very true, since my reading plans now sync, I have been able to stay current with my Bible reading plan on my iPad. One thing I have found to be helpful is trying to read through the Bible in a translation I am unfamiliar with because it's easy to miss/skip/overlook things because of familiarity with the wording. We are blessed with such a wealth of Bible translations. 

Posts 325
Robert Wazlavek | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2012 3:19 PM

Yeah, reading different translations is definitely to one's benefit!  It's good to become aquanted with various versions, Word for Word, Thought for Thought, and in between.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 4 2012 8:40 PM

Robert Wazlavek:

Yeah, reading different translations is definitely to one's benefit!  It's good to become aquanted with various versions, Word for Word, Thought for Thought, and in between.

Reading original language resources would be helpful too.

Thread => American Standard Version 1901 - Personal Bible without Chapter and Verse #'s has a personal book Bible without chapter and verse numbers.  Personally wish for Logos option to customize color of chapter and verse numbers (e.g. set foreground color to match background color).

My follow-up project for thread => Visual Filters and Biblical Places is reading every New Testament chapter looking for Biblical People, Places, and Things along with updating visual filters.  Personally using a Reading Plan to track which chapters have been read.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 325
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 5 2012 12:04 PM

Michael Kinch:

I am putting together what I envision will be a five to seven year systematic study plan using Logos software, traditional text (paper), and internet resources.  I am doing this for my own personal studies to help me in my Christian growth and ministry. 

Michael,  when your plan is complete, would you mind sharing it?  I'd like to see how you have it put together. 

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS