Page 2 of 8 (146 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 145 Replies | 14 Followers

Posts 2853
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 1:08 PM

Did you notice this?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200324680

Update claims 85% better battery life and native PDF support.

Posts 106
Rob Suggs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 10:59 AM

Wow...that's quite an update, Kevin. Including landscape viewing, full pdf capability...Kindle has a good thing going.

Posts 168
Bill Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 11:28 AM

Kevin Becker:

The Kindle is a closed system. Amazon is unlikely to support reading books on it that they didn't sell you. Notice that the most common format for public domain ebooks is not supported by the Kindle (if my memory is correct)

Since I own a Kindle I don't have to guess about its capabilities. There are thousands of free books available for wireless download at the Kindle store. One example is Halley's Bible Handbook with the New International Version which is currently free (including the wireless download).

The Kindle can read mobi-format eBooks. There are several free programs that you can use to covert other eBook formats to mobi. One free program is Calibre.  

I often want to read many of the books that I have purchased for my Logos library. It is much easier and comfortable to read them with my Kindle while I am sitting in my favorite chair. I can hold the Kindle like a book and its battery will last longer than I can stay awake before it needs to be recharged. Logos 4 excels at research and searching a vast library. The Kindle excels at reading eBooks.

Posts 168
Bill Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 11:34 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

Did you notice this?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200324680

Update claims 85% better battery life and native PDF support.

Thanks for the "heads up." I turned on the wireless on my Kindle and it started downloading the new update.

Posts 168
Bill Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 11:47 AM

Bryan Smith:

I was just telling my wife that it would be nice to download Logos books onto the Kindle for relaxed reading.  If this doesn't happen I'll just wait for the Crunchpad to finally come out.

It would be nice for Logos to let us download the books we have purchased from them directly to the Kindle. However, it is possible to read them now on the Kindle it just takes a little more work. Anything that you can copy to a word processor can be formatted into a Kindle book using a free program like Calibre.

Posts 2853
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 6:08 PM

I  doubt that export to Kindle will come any time soon. Logos has had trouble just letting us use the same books we already have purchased on our desktop program on our ipods.  I know they are working on it, but there is really not good excuse for this not being available the day the ipod software was released. I know it is not the fault of Logos, but the publishers. However, it is still ridiculous.

Posts 376
Dan Sheppard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 8:22 PM

Rob Suggs:
I'm as devoted to gadgets as most, but I come to a point where I recognize I can live life with the ones I've got. 

I HOPE you are saying that "tongue in cheek", Rob.  Big Smile

Posts 168
Bill Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 26 2009 10:01 AM

I mentioned earlier that there were thousands of free books available for the Kindle. I thought I would post some links to document this claim.

Link to the almost 20,000 books that you can download for free from the Kindle store using the built in wireless.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?tag=kwab-20&node=154606011&p_36=0-0&redirect=true

Link to new non-public domain books that are available for free for the Kindle.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?keywords=-domain&tag=kwab-20&rs=154606011&page=1&bbn=154606011&rh=n%3A133140011%2Cn%3A!133141011%2Cn%3A154606011%2Ck%3A-domain%2Cp_36%3A0-0&sort=-edition-sales-velocity

Link to free Project Gutenberg eBooks that you can download for free. (Kindle uses the Mobi format.)
http://www.freekindlebooks.org/MagicCatalog/magiccatalog.html

Link explaining how to convert a million free Google books in ePub format so you can read them on the Kindle.
http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2009/08/million-free-google-books-in-epub-for.html

Posts 769
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 26 2009 10:42 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

Kevin Becker:

The Kindle is a closed system. Amazon is unlikely to support reading books on it that they didn't sell you. Notice that the most common format for public domain ebooks is not supported by the Kindle (if my memory is correct)

That's actually not true at all.  All you have to do to read on a kindle is have it in a format that is supported including word doc, rtf, epub, pdf.  If Logos wanted to and could get publisher rights to (the bigger hurdle) have an export to feature and let you choose one of those. I create stuff to read on my kindle all the time.  I have a nice black leather folder for mine so when I did a wedding I send my wedding outline to it and bumped up the type and it went great.  I have some text documents that I have converted into epub and read them on the Kindle.  This doable. The only hurdles are ...

1. Logos being willing to engineer their software for it.

2. Publishers being wlling to give them the rights to do it.

Number 1 is not a problem for the fine folks in Washington.  I know they could do it. And since they are working on #2 for iPhone, why not go two for one with the Kindle?

Kevin - I do not have a Kindle but am interested. Do you think it would be a good tool for sermon notes? I mean preaching straight from the Kindle?

Jerry

iMac (2019 model), 3Ghz 6 Core Intel i5, 16gb Ram, Radeon Pro Graphics. 500GB SSD.

Posts 2853
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 27 2009 12:33 PM

Jerry,

Not the way I preach.  I would have to come back and hit the next button and previous button to find my place.  For me the best approaches are to a)memorize and preach extemporaneously or b) use dead trees.

What I have done is do a wedding from it.  But when I do a wedding I am basically just reading the service for the most part. If you preach that way (shame on youWink) then it works great. But finding your place if you step away from the pulpit/lecturn and then returning would be an issue.

Posts 168
Bill Gordon | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 29 2009 8:15 PM

Jerry Bush:

Kevin - I do not have a Kindle but am interested. Do you think it would be a good tool for sermon notes? I mean preaching straight from the Kindle?

Jerry 

I bought the Kindle DX so I could use it for my sermon notes while preaching. (The DX is about 2.5 times larger than the regular Kindle.) I use a detailed outline while preaching so I covert my notes to a PDF file and copy it over to my Kindle. The PDF retains all of the indentation. I also use very large fonts.

The only problem I have had so far is that once I hit the wrong button and went to the previous page. I had to hit the next page button twice to get to the right place in my outline. Of course that is minor compared to the time I dropped my paper notes off the pulpit.

Last week I taught an eight hour conference giving a Christian critique of Islam. The presentation had 150 Power Point slides. I created a separate page on my Kindle for each slide along with additional information that was not on the Power Point presentation. I was able to keep my Kindle in step with the computer.

Posts 343

Logos Books on an E-Book reader would be great!  I haven't purchased one yet, but whatever E-Book Reader comes out, whether it be Kindle, Nook, or something else, I'm planning on purchasing it!

Jason Saling

Posts 376
Dan Sheppard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 16 2009 8:52 PM

JASON, YOUR MESSAGE SAYS YOU WROTE IT AT 2:00 AM!!!!!!

I hope you are in Eastern time, or further.

Posts 115
Joel J. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 10:58 AM

There is a way of reading Logos books on Kindle, though it takes some work...

1) Copy your selection, chapter, or book.

2) Paste into Microsoft Word.

3) Download the free PrimoPDF software.

4) After installing PrimoPDF, you can print from Word to a PDF document.

5) Load the PDF onto your Kindle.

I haven't been able to try this, since I don't own a Kindle, but it should work.  Let me know how it works for you, and if it is worth it.  Money is tight now that I'm in seminary, but maybe when prices drop, I'll be able to try it out.

Posts 44
A.A. van der Leij | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 11:28 AM

But if I do this, I loose all the functionalities of Logos, it's just reading a book and nothing else. I have no links to other books, or do I?

Mat 6:33

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 12:08 PM

JoelJupp:

I haven't been able to try this, since I don't own a Kindle, but it should work.  Let me know how it works for you, and if it is worth it.  Money is tight now that I'm in seminary, but maybe when prices drop, I'll be able to try it out.

This is called format shifting and is illegal under U.S. copyright law.

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 12:59 PM

Kevin Becker:

JoelJupp:

This is called format shifting and is illegal under U.S. copyright law.

Just a thought... I doubt the illegality of this (whether true or not) would stand up in court with a "fair use" defense....  Granted, posting it in a public forum might change that, but for personal use (if owned) I'd be willing to go to court over it...

(Note: I do not have or use an Ereader of any kind, was just thinking of the legal issues here)

Posts 115
Joel J. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 12:59 PM

Yes, but it would be easier on your eyes.

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 1:03 PM

Jeremiah Daniel Morris:
Just a thought... I doubt the illegality of this (whether true or not) would stand up in court with a "fair use" defense....  Granted, posting it in a public forum might change that, but for personal use (if owned) I'd be willing to go to court over it...

3. How Do You Know If It's Fair Use?

There are no clear-cut rules for deciding what's fair use and there are no "automatic" classes of fair uses. Fair use is decided by a judge, on a case by case basis, after balancing the four factors listed in section 107 of the Copyright statute. The factors to be considered include:

1. The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes -- Courts are more likely to find fair use where the use is for noncommercial purposes. EDIT: (Bolded and Underlined by ME JM)
  2. The nature of the copyrighted work -- A particular use is more likely to be fair where the copied work is factual rather than creative.
  3. The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole -- A court will balance this factor toward a finding of fair use where the amount taken is small or insignificant in proportion to the overall work. EDIT: (this might pose a problem)
  4. The effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work -- If the court finds the newly created work is not a substitute product for the copyrighted work, it will be more likely to weigh this factor in favor of fair use.
Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 1:06 PM

-Thought I'd throw this in also...

Although the legal basis is not completely settled, many lawyers believe that the following (and many other uses) are also fair uses:

• Space-shifting or format-shifting - that is, taking content you own in one format and putting it into another format, for personal, non-commercial use. For instance, "ripping" an audio CD (that is, making an MP3-format version of an audio CD that you already own) is considered fair use by many lawyers, based on the 1984 Betamax decision and the 1999 Rio MP3 player decision (RIAA v. Diamond Multimedia, 180 F. 3d 1072, 1079, 9th Circ. 1999.)
Page 2 of 8 (146 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS