Using Logos with a Macbook Air

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3
Glenn Badonsky | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 2 2012 1:44 PM

Just wanted to know if anyone has any feedback/ideas to the pros and cons to using Logos on the Macbook Air.

I recently bought a new IPad and have been trying to get used to using Logos on the Ipad but I doesn't perform several search features without wifi.

Thanks

Posts 30850
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 2 2012 2:47 PM

Hi Glen. Welcome to the forums!

The mobile app performs much of its searches on the Logos servers. Functions like using reverse interlinears for word studies is one example. The MacBook air uses Logos 4 rather than the mobile version of Logos. It will perform all of these functions offline. Does that answer your question?

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 2 2012 4:55 PM

I have a 2011 Macbook Air  in my possession for 2 weeks at the end of January. I installed on a 11.6 128 GB model i was shocked it worked far faster than my 2010 macbook pro 15" i7. I hated to turn it over, it was fantastic.

-Dan

Posts 190
EmileB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 3 2012 2:51 AM

Hi Glenn, and welcome! I use Logos4 on a 2011 Macbook Air, 1.86 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, and a 128 GB SSD. Logos works very, very well indeed on my machine. Very fast and responsive (all of my limitations really are due to the very very poor speed of my Internet connection here, but that has nothing to do with Logos. When I can go to town and connect to normal Internet, it works superbly). I have never had the performance problems experienced with folks using L4Mac (although perhaps I am not as advanced of a user as they might be), and I CERTAINLY have none of the hiccups, crashes, glitches, etc. that I habitually experienced using WIndows. I have the AIr connected to a large external monitor, so the 13" screen for me is not a problem. The portability is fantastic (in some ways better than the iPad), and I have full functionability on the Air, which I don't have on the iPad. I would HIGHLY recommend the Air to anyone looking to use Logos... IMO, it is the ideal machine to use. At least, for my purposes. They play very nice together, seemingly better than other Mac platforms (based on a VERY subjective, unscientific survey of forum posts... which may not at all reflect general usage).

All of that being said... if you are contemplating the purchase of an Air, you might want to wait just a tad... the new version, I read, has benchmark speeds that are much better by far, plus the upcoming retina display will be a big plus (especially now that it seems that Logos has upgraded to take advantage of it)... plus it has a handful of other improvements when compared to the Air I currently own. I plan on upgrading to a new Air as soon as it is available and I can afford to make the purchase (I will be going for the most-upgraded variant).

For my purposes, the iPad and Air work really well TOGETHER... iPad has some advantage from the perspective of simply reading a book when compared to the Air. Although the Air isn't heavy, I find it is naturally easier to curl up in a chair and read on a tablet than a laptop. And if you have both, and need the extra functionality of L4Mac (rather than the limited functionality of the app for iPad), you can use a remote app to mirror your laptop's desktop on the iPad and essentially use your iPad like your laptop.

Posts 50
Ron Newberry | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 6 2012 9:40 AM

I use a 2011 Macbook Air and have no problems with Logos 4.  Speed is good.  My whole library takes about 6 gigs and that leaves me with plenty of space. I also have Accordance and a small library there and still have over 83 gigs on my SSD.

Posts 3
Glenn Badonsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 16 2012 11:54 AM

Thanks everybody for the input...at this point I am deciding on the new Macbook pro or the new Air.  I feel both will do the job and now its up to which one best fits my need.  At this point I'll just say that the new Ipad is great for reading and so studying but it is not a total replacement for a laptop.

Posts 5998
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 17 2012 1:26 AM

Mac Book Air for Logos - whatever next.

Actually I have one, the thing is so light you hardly know you have it in your bag.

The thing is so small that you can use it quite discreetly so bragging rights are off. (My wife has a Toshiba machine - now that does look the part.)

Not having a disc drive nobody notices when you turn in on.

Logos runs fast and smooth so you can look up a point quickly, quietly and easily - not really good for impressing folk with your 'technological expertise'.

Nah - can't recommend it.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 197
Rick Ross | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 18 2012 11:48 AM

Thanks for the information on the Macbook Air.  I am looking at the 2012 13", just not sure about the 128gb model.  But, since I am probably going to use it to replace my Win7 Dell Inspiron 14R, and can use an external hard drive that should work just fine.  I noticed, without actually being able to see one in person, that it appears to be about the same size as my Dell, only lighter, and superior!  Since I have an iMac for my home use, I wanted a Mac that I could take to work.  Is 8gb of memory necessary?  I can swing it if so.

Posts 5998
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 18 2012 10:48 PM

Rick Ross:
Is 8gb of memory necessary?  I can swing it if so.

Today possibly no. Tomorrow probably yes.

And seeing as you are stuck with what you buy today tomorrow I did swing it and I think I made the right decision.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2012 12:53 AM

I use Logos 4 Mac on my MacBook Air (the spec is below my signature). I use it for academic work which involves lots of complicated searches. It's fast enough for me. I'd say get the best spec machine you can afford.

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS