Logos 4 on new Mac

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 6
Bernard Granger | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 4 2012 9:46 AM

Will Logos 4 and my Logos resources transfer over to my new Macbook Pro when I get the Apple store to transfer and set up my new Mac?  If not, how do I get everything on my new Mac?

Posts 30839
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 4 2012 11:10 AM

Are you moving from Mac to Mac or Pc to Mac? 

The easiest (but time consuming) way is to simply download the software engine, enter your user name & password, and let Logos do the rest. It will download all your resources & index. Depending upon your internet connection and library package, this could take MANY hours.

If you need help with this later, feel free to come back & ask. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 6
Bernard Granger | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 4 2012 11:13 AM

I'm going from Mac to Mac.

Posts 1993
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 4 2012 11:17 AM

If the Apple Store transfers your User Folder (assuming you are already on a Mac), then you will be ready to go from the get-go. All the Logos resources are in the User Folder. Applications can also be transferred when setting up a new Mac, so the Logos4Mac app itself will come over too.

I would just ask them if they would transfer everything, just to be sure.

Posts 6
Bernard Granger | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 4 2012 1:30 PM

The Apple store told me that some applications would not transfer so I was concerned that Logos 4 might be one of them.

Posts 1993
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 4 2012 2:06 PM

Bernard Granger:

The Apple store told me that some applications would not transfer so I was concerned that Logos 4 might be one of them.

I think perhaps they were talking about Apps that worked on an older Operating System (e.g., Leopard (10.5) or Snow Leopard (10.6)) that won't work on the new operating system (Lion (10.7)). For example, apps that required a feature called Rosetta that was removed from Lion.

Logos works fine on all the newer Mac Operating Systems.

Don't worry, it will probably be fine. If it isn't, the advice that Alabama and KSFJ gave will get you up and running again.

Have fun with your new Mac.

Posts 100
Martin Diers | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 7 2012 3:19 PM

The Apple store is going to use the same utilities that an end user would use: the Apple Migration Assistant. This transfers your entire user folder, your applications, etc.

Even if they did not transfer the Logos application itself, all you would need to do is install Logos 4 and run it. Your existing library, settings, etc., should be preserved intact.

I have moved from Mac to Mac a couple times using the Migration Assistant, and Logos always transferred for me just fine. I did not have to re-download anything.

Posts 10
Doug Hitzel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 15 2012 4:16 PM

I had my Mac as a backup using Time Capsule... I got the new MacBook Pro with retina display.  Got files from backup.  It re-synced ( in about 5 minutes) and runs great...

Posts 271
Joseph Luna | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 13 2021 9:47 PM

JT, I’m planning to get the new Mac Air that has the new M1Chip. I wanted to make sure that I will be able to download Logos 9 without any issues. Do you know if Logos is ready for this new platform?

Thanks. 

Joseph

Posts 1272
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2021 1:20 AM

Logos works fine on M1 but doesn't take specific advantage of it yet. It uses Rosetta 2. Full support will likely be a year or so away because of the upstream issues with .NET

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 5996
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2021 2:13 AM

Bernard Granger:

Forgive my inquiry but seeing as the obvious version of Logos to run on a new mac is version 9 why would one want to retain version 4?

Have I missed something on the way through?

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 1993
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2021 5:37 AM

Mike Binks:
Have I missed something on the way through?

Yep, the OP was from 2012! Joseph resurrected the thread.

Posts 271
Joseph Luna | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2021 6:21 AM

John, in practical terms, will be able to download Logos 9 and wok with the program without any issues just like I'm doing it now with windows 10? 

If not, I will purchase another Windows laptop (HP) that will not present any problems. So, since I am not an expert on these things, what do you recommend Mac or Windows? 

Thank you, 

Joseph

Posts 19600
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2021 8:05 AM

Joseph Luna:
, in practical terms, will be able to download Logos 9 and wok with the program without any issues just like I'm doing it now with windows 10? 

Practical answer is Yes. Logos & Verbum have 99+% feature parity on macOS & Windows: easy to switch platforms as desired. Resource files are the same so can use scan command to copy licensed files into installation (automatically followed by indexing). Logos Wiki =>  Quick Installation onto Multiple Macs

Joseph Luna:
If not, I will purchase another Windows laptop (HP) that will not present any problems. So, since I am not an expert on these things, what do you recommend Mac or Windows? 

My preference is macOS. Reading rumors about later this year for next Apple Silicon laptops. One rumor has more performance CPU's so larger screen MacBook Pro should be noticeably faster than the 13" M1 models (main differences between MacBook Air and MacBook Pro is Pro having touch bar & internal fan). Currently Apple Refurbished has many 2020 Apple Silicon M1 Mac models => https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/mac/2020 (same hardware warranty as new with price reduced 15 %)

Dreaming of a Mac laptop with touch screen, which would be awesome for using ipadOS apps on Apple Silicon laptops (same Apple ARM processor family as iPad's and iPhone's). Caveat: unfortunately have not seen any Mac rumors about laptop touchscreen.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 271
Joseph Luna | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2021 8:57 AM

Keep smiling, ha, ha, ha... Not to sound too dumb or becoming  a a real pain, I just wanted to clarify and emphasize that the new Mac uses 

Apple M1 Chip with 8‑Core CPU and 7‑Core GPU....

I'm probably mistaken, but this platform may be different from OS Macs from the previous years. Ii hope I'm wrong, but I know that the M1 Chip is brand new for 2021 Mac computers. 

Is Logos FULLY COMPATIBLE with this new Mac to study God's word using my Logos 9 Gold personal library? I will not be doing anything else with my Mac Air except using Microsoft Office and web browsing. 

Thank you, 

Joseph

Posts 26051
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2021 9:02 AM

Hi Joseph

You might find the discussion at https://community.logos.com/forums/t/198707.aspx helpful

Graham

Posts 271
Joseph Luna | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 14 2021 9:39 AM

Thank you Graham. No more questions from this side of the spectrum! Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS