Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5
craig stevenson | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jul 12 2012 9:03 AM

I have had Libronix/Logos 3 for 6 years now and use it everyday, and would love to upgrade to Logos 4 yet do not have the means. i was told that I can install the Logos 4 programme for free and use the current resources i have on Logos 3 Gold. Is this true and what are the complications and is it worth doing? or is it better to just stick with Libronix 3.0g

Posts 5620
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 9:17 AM

See option 4 on this page for links to the Logos 4 installers:

http://www.logos.com/4ways

Logos 4 is very network dependent. Once you install and log in with your Logos ID, it will update your resource files to the latest Logos 4 versions by downloading them from the Logos servers.  This could be quite a bit of downloads depending on how big your library is. 

Then it will create a master index and a Bible index for your resources.  The indexing process can use up your computer CPU while it's running making everything seem slow, so I would wait until it's finished with the indexing before trying Logos on your computer. 

Whether or not it's worth it depends on you and your computer.  Older computers may run Logos too slow for some.  I enjoy Logos 4 more than Logos 3, but I have a newer computer. 

Some reasons to move to Logos4:

• Newly released resources aren't available in Libronix format.
  • The Logos 4 Personal Books can easily be created
  • Searches are more powerful with a master index.
  • No longer need to keep install CDs around.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 9:20 AM

craig stevenson:

I have had Libronix/Logos 3 for 6 years now and use it everyday, and would love to upgrade to Logos 4 yet do not have the means. i was told that I can install the Logos 4 programme for free and use the current resources i have on Logos 3 Gold. Is this true and what are the complications and is it worth doing? or is it better to just stick with Libronix 3.0g

Yes, you can download the L4 engine and access your L3 resources (they too will be downloaded [again] for use in L4).  There are no complications in doing this because the two programs do not use the same files.  I would say go ahead and download L4.  If you do not like it, then you can remove L4 from your system and still use L3.

NOTES:

1. L4 does not import your personal information by default. You will have to update your L3 note files so that they can be imported into L4 (and you can still use them in L3).
  2. L4 needs to be on a very powerfull computer
  3. L4 uses bandwith like a racecar uses fuel
  4. There is a very step learning curve with L4
  5. Most people do not like L4 right after they upgrade, but grow to like it more than L3 after working with it for some time.
  6. Because you are just downloading the engine, you will not have access to the L4 databases (Biblical people, Biblical places, and LCV to name a few).

Posts 5
craig stevenson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 9:26 AM

I am busy downloading the L4 core engine. (58MB)

Will I then have to download all the files that are on the logos 3 gold?

if I only use this core engine with the loaded files from my previous L3 w

ill the logos 4 still do as much as L3 in passage guides, exegetical guides and word studies etc.

Posts 5
craig stevenson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 9:30 AM

I have a i5processor with 500gb hard drive and 5gb ddr3 memory - win7 Home premium - is this sufficient to run L4

I am still unclear as to what the difference will be if i just download the core engine and update it with the files from my L3 package, as opposed to actually upgrading which at the exchange  rates is a little high at the moment

Posts 5620
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 9:52 AM

craig stevenson:
I have a i5processor with 500gb hard drive and 5gb ddr3 memory - win7 Home premium - is this sufficient to run L4

Yes, that should be fine.  Win7 64bit?  I assume.

craig stevenson:

Logos will copy your version 3 resources to its install directory.  But many (most? though I think not all) of the core package resources have been upgraded to Logos4 versions, so those will download when Logos checks for new versions.  (Also, in the future when resources are updated by Logos they will download automatically for you.)

craig stevenson:

if I only use this core engine with the loaded files from my previous L3 will the logos 4 still do as much as L3 in passage guides, exegetical guides and word studies etc.

Yes, it will.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 1:33 PM

craig stevenson:

As Todd said, yes, you will be downloading the same resources

craig stevenson:
logos 4 still do as much as L3 in passage guides, exegetical guides and word studies etc

I can only speak of the PG.  For me, L4 made a few steps backwards, and the PG is one of them.  I use a lot of collections, and trying to find something in a collection in L4's PG is next to impossible.  This is because they use some dumb algorithm that makes it impossible to find what you are looking for.  Again, this is simply MHO

Posts 6717
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 12 2012 7:50 PM

Welcome to the Forums Craig.

Craig, if you can afford it, I highly recommend that you purchase the minimmum cross grade, so that you can have access to the interlinears, Biblical people, places and things. 

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 361
Stephen Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 15 2012 3:14 AM

Craig,

Just in case you don't know .... L4 and L3 can run together.

I had trouble with L4 for over 12 months .... possibly my fault. I am using L3 and L4 as it suits me.

Stephen Miller

Sydney, Australia

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS