Is it just me, or...

Page 2 of 3 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 49 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 4:46 AM

My own prognostication is that the dry bones will begin to rattle when L5 peeks out.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 9488
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 7:34 AM

Paul Golder:
As I and the rest of the world on a limited budget sit back and watch Logos pass us by...

Well you'll have to put me in that camp, too, if anything I said came true.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 8:04 AM

Mark Smith:

Paul Golder:
As I and the rest of the world on a limited budget sit back and watch Logos pass us by...

Welcome to the club Smile If it does come true there will be a lot of us...Sad

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 8:37 AM

Paul Golder:

Mark Smith:

Paul Golder:

Welcome to the club Smile If it does come true there will be a lot of us...Sad

I'm on a rather strict budget, but if a new version of Logos is minted which requires a more powerful level of hardware, I will someway find the resources if the program itself is worthy.  I would rather not be offered a half-baked version the way Logos 4 was when it first appeared.  It is not reaching a level of acceptability though there are some features which still need to be added such as a calculation of weights and measures.  Overall it is getting to be a very good program—and there is already talk of a new version?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 6722
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 8:51 AM

No new hardware pleaseeeeee. I am anxious in a way for L5 to get out of the door, then they can work on L6 from the ground up. L6 will be the one that actually makes everyone smile. And yes, it will need new hardware to handle all of its massive databases and inter-connectivity.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 9488
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 10:50 AM

George Somsel:
Overall it is getting to be a very good program—and there is already talk of a new version?

Hey, we're working on 4.6 now. There isn't much left before 5. (I do get your point, however.)

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 10:58 AM

Mark Smith:

George Somsel:
Overall it is getting to be a very good program—and there is already talk of a new version?

Hey, we're working on 4.6 now. There isn't much left before 5. (I do get your point, however.)

As far as I'm concerned, they can take it up to 4.99999, just don't bring out a program that takes 2-3 yrs to develop to where it's usable (by which time they're ready to bring out yet another half-baked program and start the cycle all over again).

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 11:06 AM

As for me, I've been on sabbatical since mid April. I've sometimes monitored but rarely commented in the forums during that time. Just started with a few responses this week.

Another possible reason for the slow down in posts by some of us, is that there are many more non-MVPs who are very able to help others solve problems, and there are a lot fewer problems folks here haven't learned to solve on their own.

If there is a Logos 5 beta out there, I'd feel privileged to test it, but so far, I haven't had an invitation. (hint, hint)

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 2814
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 12:15 PM

Lynden Williams:

No new hardware pleaseeeeee. I am anxious in a way for L5 to get out of the door, then they can work on L6 from the ground up. L6 will be the one that actually makes everyone smile. And yes, it will need new hardware to handle all of its massive databases and inter-connectivity.

If L6 is going to be a rewrite from the ground up why do L5?

Posts 32944
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 12:56 PM

David Ames:

Rebranding. L4 has a bad rep. L5 is simply L4 renamed - complete, with several more user requested enhancements and nearly bug free.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9488
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 7:47 PM

MJ. Smith:
Rebranding. L4 has a bad rep. L5 is simply L4 renamed - complete, with several more user requested enhancements and nearly bug free.

I can hear the marketing now: "Logos 5: All You Thought Logos 4 Was Supposed to Be!" (Will that sell?)

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 19262
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 8:27 PM

David Ames:

Lynden Williams:

It will take so long to write it over again from scratch, they will need to keep a separate team working concurrently on the old code base to release L5 to keep the upgrade addicts happy in the meantime. Otherwise there might be two or three years between releases, and that wouldn't do!

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 8:37 PM

Mark Smith:
All You Thought Logos 4 Was Supposed to Be!" (Will that sell?)

Mark, you know Logos only sells the resources.  Wink

george
gfsomsel

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 8:40 PM

Rosie Perera:
It will take so long to write it over again from scratch, they will need to keep a separate team working concurrently on the old code base to release L5 to keep the upgrade addicts happy in the meantime. Otherwise there might be two or three years between releases, and that wouldn't do!

I would be just as happy if they spent 5 yrs between releases.  In the meantime they should only concentrate on

1. Tweeks to the current version.
2. Develop and test the upcoming version until it's bullet-proof.

BTW:  At the moment sometimes the links I insert in my notes to resources show up (blue) and other times they don't even though the link is still there and works.  Any ideas?

george
gfsomsel

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 8 2012 10:35 PM

George Somsel:

I would be just as happy if they spent 5 yrs between releases.  In the meantime they should only concentrate on

I totally agree!

Posts 10826
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 9 2012 2:39 AM

George Somsel:

This is scary for me to say, but I agree with George Geeked

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 9 2012 3:08 AM

George Somsel:

That only works if the 'current version' already is 'bullet-proof', which is definitely not the case with this 'current version'. After two years of waiting, it still takes me 8-10 hours to get 5-10 minutes work done. The rest goes to fighting with and reporting bugs. 

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 450
Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 22 2012 7:46 PM

fgh:

George Somsel:

That only works if the 'current version' already is 'bullet-proof', which is definitely not the case with this 'current version'. After two years of waiting, it still takes me 8-10 hours to get 5-10 minutes work done. The rest goes to fighting with and reporting bugs. 

Something doesn't seem right there. Maybe your at a level of study far above me but I don't have those types of issues....

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 22 2012 8:06 PM

Alexander Longacre:

fgh:

George Somsel:

Something doesn't seem right there. Maybe your at a level of study far above me but I don't have those types of issues....

Neither do I.  If I had, I would be back to using L3 (Perhaps that is why Denise still uses L3?).

george
gfsomsel

Posts 229
Jeremy White | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 22 2012 8:34 PM

I think version 5  in terms of functionality will be not be as huge a deal as the switch to version 4 was.

Remember Logos is now following a much more incremental (agile) development methodology now. In some parts of IT this is quite normal. For instance, I do consulting related to a cloud based system that has 3 major releases per year.

I think it is much more likely that a version 5 would be more of a repackaging of resources, maybe some bundling deals for extra content or the launch of some of the more powerful search functions that Bob has previously talked about. The good thing about those changes is that they are likely to be cloud based functions instead of relying on the local hardware so people's concerns about having to upgrade their machines will (hopefully) be unfounded.

Scripture set to music for worship and aid memorization. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-DojPa0TlpCGhtUJq1e3Pw

Page 2 of 3 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS