Page 1 of 5 (82 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 81 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 1723
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jun 8 2009 10:31 AM

I set up a new laptop for my wife recently. Aside from an alternate web browser, Logos Bible Software was the only thing I installed.

Setting up a machine used to involve installing dozens of applications, and for me there still are quite a few. But for my wife, a computer is now just a terminal for the Internet. 

I have always said that you still need rich client applications for things like Word processing, spreadsheets, etc. and that online solutions like Google docs won't work. But my son does all his schoolwork in Google docs and rarely uses Microsoft Office.

I now regularly make use of four computers -- a desktop at home and work, and a light and a heavy laptop for different purposes. I don't install everything I use on each machine; I either use web apps or remote desktop to my "big box".

In the past, Logos users have indicated a strong preference for "rich client" applications, that run offline and don't require an Internet connection.

We're building the next version of Logos that way -- and taking advantage of today's computer power to make it very rich, and very cool.

But are we missing the boat on the next generation of users? And are even us die-hard-big-iron types getting tired of installing apps? Are you ready for your Bible software to live "in the cloud?"

You want the power, speed, and "don't need Wi-Fi" access of an offline application. But what about the people who aren't using Logos? Would an online offering help us reach a bigger audience of Bible students?

I'm interested in your observations, and in how your own online/offline mix is or isn't chaning.

Thanks!

-- Bob

Posts 10889
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 8 2009 11:00 AM

Bob

I for one would not want my Bible software to be web based. For one thing, my ISP is not all that reliable. When the internet goes down, I must wait for Time-Warner to finally come out and repair their switch box.

How much computing power would be required to service all those customers?

When I pay for something, I want it on my computer so I can access it when I want to access it.

Jack

Posts 10889
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 8 2009 11:13 AM

As I read the other threads in this forum, I noticed one that spoke extensively about web connection speed—or rather, the lack thereof.

That is one more reason why I would not want my Bible study options to be web-based.

Jack

Posts 838
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 8 2009 11:29 AM

Bob,

Would you have to incorporate a subscription revenue model to keep the "cloud" floating?

JRS has left the building.

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 8 2009 11:36 AM

I would have no problem with it ONLY if that would be an alternative to the client application. I need Bible software also as I travel in less privilaged countries and not always Internet connection is obvious. I use Logos all the time and that would really limit me. I agree with Jack, I want to have the books I buy on my computer. I know however there are many, especially young people, who would use Internet based Logos very much. However usually they use free stuff. Would they pay for the robust Bible software online? I don't know. By the way, I am really looking forward to the version 4 :-)

Bohuslav

Posts 418
davidphillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 8 2009 12:23 PM

I agree that I would in no way want my access to bible software limited by an internet connection. On the other hand, I can see the value of being able to access something while away from my computer. I think there could be great value in this type of service, but only as a complimentary option. Perhaps a scaled down searchable library (like the search capabilities on bible.logos.com) that could be accessed remotely.

Posts 1145
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 8 2009 2:30 PM

I am all for the "rich client" way of using Libronix but I am not sure if it is because I am a senior citizen.  (I am wondering if younger users would be more apt to be in favor of the web application approach.)  If I need a web connection to use Libronix, then I am dependent on my internet provider and my computer; if I don't need a web connection, then I am only dependent on my computer being up and running well.   The fewer variables, the better--for me.  As it is, sometimes I feel TOO dependent on my computer for Bible study.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 8 2009 2:57 PM

<P>Personally I want everything on my machine.  That way, if anything should go wrong , , , go wrong . . . go wrong (<I>a la</i> West World), I can still work even if I need to operate off a UPS for a time.  There's always the possiblity of simply being unable for various reasons to connect to the internet.  As for those who don't use Logos, is there any reason to think that having it available on the internet is going to lure them into using it?  I imagine that the reason most don't use Logos is for one of several reasons: 

<P>1. They simply aren't interested in Bible study -- forget it since until they change their interests they aren't going to use it.<BR>
2. They have no interest in using a computer for anything -- again, forget it since they'll never use it. <BR>
3. They prefer another program -- hard to believe, I know. <BR>
4. They don't want to or can't spend the money. </p>

<P>Obviously, I think that #3 is the big reason for anyone who has an interest in Bible study and isn't afraid of computers wouldn't use the program.  I assume that you aren't contemplating making access free so we're right back to #4.</p>

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 8 2009 3:00 PM

Hmm, I was under the impression that HTML was allowed here.  Apparently not.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 236
David Ladiges | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 8 2009 3:09 PM

There is an HTML  icon on the edit screen - if you need to input HTML click into that mode to do so, otherwise your HTML gets displayed as is.

Posts 27922
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 8 2009 4:09 PM

My online use isn't changing - I still use a web browser for Email when I'm in an Internet Cafe! 
The Cafe crowd may be interested because they don't have their own computer Smile

Oz is third world for speed and (high) cost of internet access for just 4 GB of data, but our Labour Government has committed over $40 billion to have broadband in every home (not sure WHEN). Sure we have mobile broadband and ADSL2 but there are too many 'grey' spots in the cities and 'black' spots in the country. I'm fortunate to have cable broadband, but they may start digging up the streets for fibre-optic very soon.

PS. I wish we could edit quotes when using "Reply" vs this "Quick Reply".

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 8 2009 4:16 PM

Dave Hooton:

PS. I wish we could edit quotes when using "Reply" vs this "Quick Reply".

As you can see, it is possible to edit quotes.  Highlight what you want before clicking on "Quote."

george
gfsomsel

Posts 27922
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 8 2009 4:24 PM

GeorgeSomsel:
As you can see, it is possible to edit quotes.  Highlight what you want before clicking on "Quote."

Thanks, George. We definitely need some "Sticky" help topics for this Forum.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 8 2009 5:21 PM

I want my Logos software to remain on my own machine - NOT in "the cloud" - main reasons for me - I cannot always get to "the cloud" - I travel a lot and find that way too many places charge exhorbitantly for renting me short term access to "the cloud" - more importantly perhaps is the fact that almost everything I used "the cloud" for a decade ago has since evapourated - and in most cases NOT to be replaced by anything better, just evapourated as net fashions come and go.   Given that the current version of Logos performs quite nicely even on my Acer Netbook then I can, in practice, take my library anywhere and everywhere; and with the help of my APC universal notebook battery, I can even be away from "the grid" for many hours at a time.

DaveJ

Posts 1723
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 8 2009 6:01 PM

"3. They prefer another program -- hard to believe, I know."

To the best of our knowledge, we're the best selling product in the category by a wide margin. Our biggest competition is "no software." I don't know if that means online resources only, or just paper books, but there are lots of pastors (and seminary students, apparently) who still aren't using Bible software.

I'm just wondering if the "software" part of that question is the obstacle for some of them...

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 8 2009 7:07 PM

Yes, I realize that there is no accounting for tastes.  Some people even like cream and sugar in their coffee -- would you believe that ?

george
gfsomsel

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 8 2009 7:24 PM

I'm just wondering if the "software" part of that question is the obstacle for some of them...

Of those I know who do not use Logos, they fall into two camps:

1. Those who prefer to read from paper books as a means of getting away from the computer, and
  2. Those who avoid using computers for anything where another option exists.

While others may have different experiences, I have yet to encounter anyone who prefers "cloud" software (eg: does MOST of their research/reading from web pages and wikis etc) to software installed on their own computer.

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 9 2009 6:15 AM

There's no chance I would be happy with Logos in the cloud. And that comes from a guy who considers himself more net savvy than the average user.

I use Google calendar and a few other cloud components but only because I have local copies of the data. Living out in the country as I do, internet connections can be tenuous. Most of you "city dwellers" need to remember that you are not like the whole country or for that matter the whole world. In the cities you may have a fat internet pipe running into every apartment and home but out here in the country we're still working on getting something beyond dial-up in many places. I do happen to have broadband but I'm ahead of the curve where I'm at. Not merely because the technology isn't there but because most of the technology is dependent on line of site wireless connections, more than 3 miles from the telephone switch station and even DSL becomes all but impossible.

All of that forms a basis for disliking cloud only computing. My internet already comes and goes during inclement weather and I would hate to have my study processes cut completely off because of a passing rain cloud. Moreover this is the status of things in the USA. I cannot help but believe it is mirrored in Australia and in portions of the UK and elsewhere.

Beyond this, I have friends in Haiti where the power is notoriously unstable and forget about the internet. But some of them have laptops that they charge when the power is on so they can study when the power is out. Put Libronix on the cloud and they lose the capacity to work at all. No, I'm convinced that for global growth, "big iron" is the way to go.

Keep Libronix local.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 2265
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 9 2009 6:39 AM

I also want my Libronix version that I pay for to be local on my computer or at least off line.  I also travel a lot and do not have constant access to the internet.  When traveling in other countries I dont have access to internet.  It is very helpful to have it off line and you would lose I am sure a customer base if you went on line only.  I know that would finish me.  It is simply not what I want and look for in a Bible Program.

What would be even more helpful is if my paid copy of Libronix was not on my computer, but was completely on an external harddrive.  I personally think this is the  way to go.  The reason?  As you said, Bob, computers are becoming hubs and I dont think the Libronix program should be tied down to one computer.  If I take a trip, do I really need MY computer to access MY Libronix?  Could I not simply take an external harddrive and plug it into a computer wherever I am and access my paid program?  Perhaps it could be a thought to build a future version so as to have it completely contained on an external drive.

You started an online theological library if I remember correctly.  Perhaps statistics on how that is going will tell you if an online version of Libronix would be sellable.  Again, if you offer the software online, please also offer it offline as you do now.

Mark

Posts 9
Peter Covert | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 9 2009 6:51 AM

As much as I do not like it, cloud computing is coming.  It is coming because of the advantages it has.  The one main drawback is that you need a good internet connection.  In the next five years, I believe that we will be able to do everything through our internet browser that we can do with our client software.  In the following ten years, cloud computing is going to bypass client software.

The number of devices that we will be using to connect to the net is going to increase, and most of them will not be able to run client software.

Logos users like to be on the cutting edge of technology.  How many Logo users want to be able to read their books in Kindle?  I do not have a Kindle, but I think it connects to the web.  If not, I think it will sooner or later.  If Logos did cloud computing, people will be able to read their books in Kindle.

Page 1 of 5 (82 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS