I found a Logos CD in a book!

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1174
Liam | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 18 2012 5:55 PM

I found a Logos Libronix CD in the back of an old book in my library, the complete works of Oswald Chambers. I contacted Logos about it and they said I would need an authorization code to have it installed. The thing is, that I can't find an authorization code anywhere on the book or cd. I know I bought the book new, so it must have come with the code, but I have no idea where the code would be. There's nothing on the cd, or that I can tell on the first few pages. Has anyone had experience with this before? I'm really not even sure what I'm supposed to be looking for. Does anyone know what the code looks like? Could it be hidden somewhere?

Thank you!

Liam

Posts 1002
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 18 2012 6:01 PM

It's 16 letters in 4 groups of 4. ABCD-EFGH-IJKL-MNOP.

It should be printed on the sleeve holding the CD.

Hope you find it!

Posts 521
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 18 2012 6:23 PM

Some of the 3rd party vendors did an automatic unlock for Logos 3 products and did not require a seperate code to install. In this case all you need to do is install the CD and you should be good to go.

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 18 2012 6:47 PM

Bobby Terhune:
Some of the 3rd party vendors did an automatic unlock for Logos 3

I believe that Bobby is correct. From what I remember of the Chambers CD, all you need do is to install the disk (which will install Logos 3), then synchronize L3 with your account and L4 should pick it it up in a few minutes and let you know that you have new resources to download.

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 1174
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 18 2012 8:26 PM

I tried putting in the disk and the resources show up in my L3 library but they all have a little lock symbol on them. A popup came up that gave three possibilities of why the resources were locked. One was that the resource was no longer sold by Logos in disk form. Any one know if there's any other way?

Posts 69
Nick Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 19 2012 3:54 AM

I have the Oxford BIble Commentary in Logos, which came as a CD inside the book but which was an extra paid-for unlock beyond a couple of samples. It may be one of those.

Posts 27941
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 19 2012 4:00 AM

Liam Walsh:
Any one know if there's any other way?

Take photos of the resource and try again. Email Bob if you need to. Not all resources ever came with unlock codes… perhaps this was one of them.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 19 2012 4:16 AM

If I'm not mistaken, most the older third party book/CD combos included a key file on the CD that would automatically unlock the resources during install (that is the ones that did not include an unlock code on the CD holder).

Perhaps another call to customer service, and asking for a CS representative that is familiar with the older third party releases would help. If you get the right person, they will now exactly what is going on.

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 371
James Chandler | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 19 2012 7:10 AM

I have often seen information on cd's in the appendix of the book.  Try that.

In Him,

Jim

Running on ASUS Windows 10 I7 24 gig of ram, 1 Terabyte drive.

Philippians 2:3 Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Posts 3157
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 19 2012 11:00 AM

Liam: 

Did you run the installer on the disc, or did you just put the disc in and open Libronix? The unlocking process of products, where the serial number is embedded on the disc, occurs during the installation sequence. If you close Libronix (make sure Ldls.exe is also not running in Task manager) and run the setup on the disc, it should take you through this process.

Posts 1174
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 20 2012 1:48 PM

Thanks Tommy! I did just open Libronix the first time. I just installed it successfully on Libronix, now I'm waiting for an update on Logos 4. 

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Posts 1174
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 20 2012 2:03 PM

Success! The updates were added to my Logos 4 library! 

Thanks for your help everyone!

Posts 3157
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 20 2012 3:12 PM

Good to hear, Liam. Enjoy!

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 20 2012 4:02 PM

Liam Walsh:
Success! The updates were added to my Logos 4 library!

Great to hear! It's a little like finding hidden treasure, isn't it? Big Smile

Liam Walsh:
I found a Logos Libronix CD in the back of an old book in my library

Fortress Press published some books with Libronix CD's in them. If you have any of those it would be worth a look.

Here is an old blog post on the subject: “Free” Libronix Books Hidden on Your Bookshelf

Posts 74
Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 22 2012 5:35 AM

Hi Liam

I had several CD's and they had locks on them, eventually I sent my email address I used to purchase them, and Logos 4 were able to find my purchase, and they released the books to me, some of the papers could not be unlocked, the books were because L4 had them.

Yours Always in Jesus Love

Stephen

Posts 1725
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 22 2012 6:17 AM

This reminds me that several years ago, I purchased an ESV for $9-10 (paperback outreach edition). It came with a postcard to get a free disk. I always take up offers to get stuff free (legally) Smile. When I received the disk in the mail, I had never heard of Libronix or Logos. I installed it and had the ESV. It might have had other resources; I don't remember. But I found Nelson's (free, of course) eBible demo and it added KJV, Strong's, Smith's, etc. Voila!, Viola!, and Oboe! I was an L3 user and totally blown away! A few years and a few hundred dollars later, I have the Bible Study base package, added numerous 3rd party anthologies (MacArthur, Sproul, McGee), a bunch of Community Pricing packages, 600+ PBs (some only article- or pamphlet-length). So, from the free offer, Logos, Nelson, Crossway, et al., made a little money, and I got all the resources I need; win-win.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS