To those who have upgraded...

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 5
Pastor Shawn D | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 19 2009 7:21 AM

What has been your experience overall?

What have you liked and disliked?

Are you glad you upgraded or are you wishing you have waitied for some bugs to be resolved?

Posts 347
Mitch Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 7:26 AM

ShawnFranklinDobbins:

What has been your experience overall?

Overall? Seriously, I couldn't be happier.

The only dislike is the initial indexing...takes seemingly forever, but once you're done the program does its magic.

Absolutely glad to have upgraded....the program is very stable with minimal bugs.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 7:28 AM

Love the upgrade.

All my negatives are on hold until I see what the current missing features look like when they are done. The only draw back is the additional step of having to open up L3. But I had to do that anyway before L4 :-)

Posts 2642
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 7:30 AM

Once you get passed the initial download and indexing, it is a great program. Watch the videos and check out the wiki to get up to speed. I won't be going back to L3. If you want to see a video on how I use L4 follow this link. May it will give you some ideas as to the power and ease of use of the program.

http://biblesoftwarenewsletter.blogspot.com/2009/11/below-is-video-explaining-my-expository.html

Posts 298
Kaye Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 7:34 AM

I started with Logos 3 a few weeks before Logos 4 came out.  It got me really excited again about reading daily and doing real Bible study!  I wasn't looking for huge packages of books or original language work but wanted the interlinear texts because I was curious.  I bought the Bible Study package.  Logos 4 came out and, without really investigating, I upgraded and started to use it.  I have to admit I was unhappy.  The things I loved (custom inductive highlighting icon creation, prayer list, verse lists) were all missing, as were my notes.  I moved everything over manually since it was only a few weeks worth, although I couldn't create my own highlighting symbols.  Since then, I have refused to open 3 and have forced myself to use 4.  I do love it and am learning again!  I will be happy as some of my favorite tools come back and I will be VERY happy as speed of the interface improves but I have found peace with my decision to move forward and have forgiven myself the lack of research before I did.  :-)  I am so satisfied, in fact, that it meets my needs better and will only GET better that I upgraded to Scholar yesterday!!  Might as well get the good discount while I can.  Yes

Peace...

Kaye

"But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry."  2 Timothy 4:5 (NASB)

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 7:34 AM

Shawn,

What I'm about to say may sound flippant and dismissive, please don't recieve it that way.

These forums have exploded in activity in the past few weeks with the answer to your question.  Please read through several of the posts in the Logos 4 forum and you'll get  a very broad answer.

Keep in mind that typically there are only three types of forum people:

• People who hate something and need to vent.
  • People who love something and need to gush.
  • forum rats like me who just can't get away... ;)

That said, here's my answer:

My overall experience is different than most since I was a beta tester.  I saw the program at β1 when it was nearing completion but still needed tons of work.  What happened during that two months is something of an innoculation against remaining issues.  I saw how far the program came from that first install to the gold release.  As a result, combined with my experiences with Logos over the last decade - I know that remaining issues will be ironed out.  I have every confidence in the programmers ability, and everyone else who works at Logos.  If I didn't have that confidence I would not have spent as much as I have on the books.  Let's just say it's enough to make my wife sigh.

I'm glad I upgraded - certainly.  L4 works more like I do, so for me it was a no-brainer.  My first reaction was certainly shock, as is the response of many in this forum.  But that is because I was a long time L3 user, and quite familiar with the way it worked (for my purposes).

So tell me about yourself Shawn.  How familiar are you with Bible software?  Have you used Logos 1,2 or 3?  What are you hoping the software will do? And what kind of computer are you hoping to install this on?

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 2
Rev. Dr. Lawrence H. Potts | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 7:48 AM

I have been a Logos user for 5 years.  Suddenly, with the Logos 4 upgrade, I feel like I have the Saturn 5 rocket is in my hands.  I am a little fearful.  It seems jumpy, perhaps that is me.  I am really thrilled with the upgrade and love the "Layout" that automatically saves my last work.  I also like that it automatically updates.  I had a Google Calander reminder to update once a month.  Now, I can do away with that.

Thanks for the hard work Logos folks.  I am thrilled.

Rev. Larry Potts

Posts 197
Rick Ross | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 7:49 AM

Overall, for me, it has been a pretty good experience.  I have been trying to get up to speed, waiting for my Training Manual to arrive from Morris Seminars.  But I have been able to figure a few things out using this forum and wiki.

Posts 347
Mitch Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 8:08 AM

Thomas Black:

Keep in mind that typically there are only three types of forum people:

• People who hate something and need to vent.
  • People who love something and need to gush....

Okay, I'm in group 2: "love something and need to gush".

I have been a Logos user regularly since 1998 (except for the first year when Logos 3 came out.....like molasses....then they ironed things out and I returned to using it daily). Likewise, I was a Beta user from its very beginning and went through its frustrations. I guess, my experience was more of "wow, I like this" (knowing there were bugs) because I've done numerous other Beta testing for other companies and was comfortable seeing past the bugs and right to the potential of the program.

That said, let me gush once more (people in Atlanta think I am a Logos Reseller because 1) I wear the $1 Logos Bible Software T-shirt at least once a week and 2) I speak to so many people about Logos (3 when it was out, and now v. 4). In fact, before a personal Bible study and after our "church" Bible study last night I spent time showing Logos to four people.

Gushing out!

Posts 4
Gavin Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 8:24 AM

Overall my experience with Logos4 has been a mixture of frustration and glee.  The frustration comes mainly at having to relean how Logos4 works - particularly when I'm working and not playing. The glee comes when I figure it out and see how much better I like it. 

There are a few things that do still grate that I'd love to be resolved:

1) not easily being able to shift from home to layout.  If I am working and choose to go to the home view for something - I find I can't easily shift back to where I was. Perhaps I just don't know how - the best I can do at the moment is click on search, then delete that search box once I'm back in the layout view.

2) I find that I really dislike not knowing what Logos4 is updating.  On occasion when I start up, I get told that a file of so-many megabytes is being downloaded, I am given the option to get them installed but nowhere does it tell me what actually is being updated - I may not be able to understand the significance of all the files being updated, but I it really grates on me when I don't know what they are.

3) I like the layouts, but I haven't found out how to have a standard layout that Logos4 defaults to whenever I start a new session - I get things the way I like them, then have to reinvent it when I start something new - again, it may be that I just haven't figured out how.

Posts 122
James H. Schafer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 8:33 AM

JohnFidel:
Once you get passed the initial download and indexing, it is a great program. Watch the videos and check out the wiki to get up to speed. I won't be going back to L3. If you want to see a video on how I use L4 follow this link. May it will give you some ideas as to the power and ease of use of the program.http://biblesoftwarenewsletter.blogspot.com/2009/11/below-is-video-explaining-my-expository.html

I was thrilled to be one of the Beta tester's for L4. I had also had the privilege to Beta test 3. That being said, I was caught off-guard when I first downloaded L4 and saw such a BIG change in the program. I am a Senior Citizen (pastoring more than 56 years) and you know us Seniors, we don't adapt to change very easily.

L4 has far exceeded any expectation I might have had and I thought I was really getting tremendous 'mileage' in my use of the program. That is, until I took the time to download and view your video, John, in Real Player. Couldn't make out what was showing on the screen at your blogspot.  You have provided a tremendous help in laying out a very usable workspace. This needs to be put on the logos.com/video page for all to have access to, but it would need to be increased in the window when opened.

Thanks, John, and THANK YOU LOGOS for a really great, the best, far superior, etc. etc. program Big Smile

Posts 2
Rev. Dr. Lawrence H. Potts | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 9:28 AM

John, Thanks for your very thoughtful sharing on how to get into this wonderful new update!  I am struggling with the need to produce (Sunday's sermon and Bible teaching) with the desire to float through all the information.  I needed to get off the initial front page and your push to customize is important.  Again, it takes time.  Slow and steady wins the race. 

Question:  how can I cync my two computers: home lap top and church office computer?  Do I have to customize both?

Larry

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 9:42 AM

Rev. Dr. Lawrence H. Potts:
Question:  how can I cync my two computers: home lap top and church office computer?  Do I have to customize both?

This should be automatic. So long as both use the same Logos userId everything that can be synced should b synced.

Posts 8666
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 9:47 AM

Rev. Dr. Lawrence H. Potts:
Your user created documents will sync automatically provided internet is not turned off.  I'm not sure if settings like homepage on or off also syncs.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 15
Graham Keys | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 10:45 AM

I love the new version it is well worth the upgrade cost.  I also love the tutorial videos because for me that is the easiest way for me to learn.  I am discovering new things all the time.  Also with me being based in New Zealand (God's Own) the support has been very good as well from Logos USA, distance has not been an issue.  The USA is 20 hours flight time and 4 hours wait time as you clear security to get into the nation.  So, it not that easy to show up on the door step at Logos USA with my PC if I get stuck.

Thanks team you are doing a great Job, Graham Keys 

Posts 1145
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 11:31 AM

GavinRobertson:

1) not easily being able to shift from home to layout.  If I am working and choose to go to the home view for something - I find I can't easily shift back to where I was. Perhaps I just don't know how - the best I can do at the moment is click on search, then delete that search box once I'm back in the layout view.

2) I find that I really dislike not knowing what Logos4 is updating.  On occasion when I start up, I get told that a file of so-many megabytes is being downloaded, I am given the option to get them installed but nowhere does it tell me what actually is being updated - I may not be able to understand the significance of all the files being updated, but I it really grates on me when I don't know what they are.

3) I like the layouts, but I haven't found out how to have a standard layout that Logos4 defaults to whenever I start a new session - I get things the way I like them, then have to reinvent it when I start something new - again, it may be that I just haven't figured out how.

Hi Gavin

Hopefully, there will be more and more glee for you and less frustration.  As far as 1)  and  3) of your post-John Fidel has worked up some videos to share his workflow and I think they may really help you with those two points.  His links are in this thread.  FYI in case you haven't watched the video.

And as far as knowing what is being updated, it is something I "lobbied" for during beta testing since I was so used to Libronix Updater and how it worked.  You knew what and when.  This may change but for now, I check the forum often because Logos has been really good about posting updates to the program itself.  And I think or I hope they will post when resources are being updated.  I am adjusting to not knowing what I really want to know, very slowly.

Posts 5637
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 11:50 AM

GavinRobertson:

Just click the Home button again and the home page will slide away and return to the current layout.

GavinRobertson:

If you turn off "Show home page at startup" in the home page customize options, then your last layout in use will return on startup.  If you want a particular named layout to appear, then you would have to select it manually after startup (if it wasn't the one that was in use in the previous session).

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 29
Jerry Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 12:11 PM

(1) I've not noticed the automatic updates yet, L4 simply tells me it has an update in the L4 icon in the windows notification bar and I accept and then it applies. This is probably the security on my machines.

(2) I do like the improved graphics in L4 especially on my larger, faster machine, However, text is 98% of my own interest.

(3) I like the change in the library display except for the keyword limits instead of the old radio clicks.

(4) I was pleased to see more training videos show up a few days ago. At least I hadn't seen some of them on your web page until recently.

(5) I currently have many dislikes or inconveniences or loss of functions, but I'm hoping that more training and use will help eliminate or at least ameliorate most. However, even at best I'm sure I'll need to enter more data and option choices just to get things working as conveniently as it had been doing in L3. I might have hoped for a better translation of certain items from L3 to whatever replaces them in L4. I find this highly inconvenient in certain things I had been doing. But also I do still hope it shall be ultimately less inconient than it now seems.

Posts 165
Wayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 1:54 PM

I have had Logos 4 installed for a week. I waited a week or two to get the initial rush over. I knew it would take me a long time to download and index the program (it took me 4 days just to download).

There are various ways to use Logos 4. The passage guide has a lot of power and can find lots of information. But it takes up more memory and can slow down the program. Or you can make your own simplified study guide. John did a good job of showing what he did in a video that he posted earlier.

Or you can set up Logos 4 to run in multiple windows without using the passage guide. It does reduce the amount of memory needed and appears to be quicker.

Logos 4 does not have parallel resource associations, but has favorites. If you have a commentary open, you can right arrow to next commentary on your favorite list. This works better than Logos 3 as it can go between one volume Bible commentary and individual book commentaries. The right and left arrow keys can be used to switch between Bibles, dictionaries, language resources, etc. You can press on the + key and Logos 4 brings up a list of the available like resources. Or you can double click along side the arrow and it brings up the next similar resource.

I have Bibles in top left, commentaries in top right, Treasury of Scripture Knowledge on bottom left and BDAG, a Bible and a dictionary on the bottom right. The Bibles, commentaries and cross references are all linked. BDAG and and the Bible on the bottom right is set to receive hyperlinks.

There are a number of ways to set up Logos 4 and I am still learning. I find it to be stable enough for use. I have my Bible reading program set up in Logos 3 and so I typically open that up every day.

There are a number of media resources that you get, if you make the minimum upgrade. I would not wait too long to upgrade, as the present prices are promotional and in time will go up.

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 2:30 PM

I'm very happy with the increase performance; however, I'm not that crazy about the user interface - I prefer the menu bar like Logos 3. I definitely prefer the Logos 3 home page. And I'm concern about what the end product will look like - what Logos 3 features that will left out of Logos 4. The my main (only, really) issue with Logos 3 was that it was slow. I just hope many of the good features of Logos 3 won't be sacrificed for sake of the increased performance in Logos 4.

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS