Connection the Testaments: A Daily Devotional - wassat?

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 191
Daniel J. Phillips | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jul 31 2012 6:39 AM

This Logos product has been added. I find no explanation. It's by some lady and some guy (John D. Barry and Rebecca Kruyswijk). I did some Googling, wasn't readily able to find their qualifications, training, anything else other than that they work for Logos.

Anyone know anything about it?

Posts 217
Danny Baskin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 31 2012 6:54 AM

Isn't it a part of the Faithlife material?

Posts 11726
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 31 2012 7:38 AM

Danny Baskin:

Isn't it a part of the Faithlife material?

afaik: Yes.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 191
Daniel J. Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 31 2012 7:48 AM

Thanks, both; but that still doesn't tell me about it and them, does it? At least, not what I was wanting to know.

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 31 2012 7:54 AM

John's written a lot of stuff for Bible Study Magazine it's all been very good.

Posts 11726
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 31 2012 8:08 AM

Daniel J. Phillips:
Thanks, both; but that still doesn't tell me about it and them

Well, regarding them

Regarding it: What do you need to know?

• Why this is in your Logos? Because it comes automatically with FSB, even though it doesn't carry "FaithLife" in its name  (like the Lexham Bible Dictionary)
  • What is a Daily Devotional? You may just read it, but basically it's a short piece of spiritual reflection, most often connected to a certain verse or pericope from the bible, intended to be read daily. A well known one is "My utmost for his highest"
  • What is the theological direction of CtT? Most probably "evangelical christian" in a general way, according to Logos' statement regarding own publications http://www.logos.com/about/publishing-philosophy

Hope this helps more

Mick

Posts 11726
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 31 2012 8:17 AM

Daniel J. Phillips:

Thanks, both; but that still doesn't tell me about it and them, does it? At least, not what I was wanting to know.

FYI I wrote you a more detailed answer, but it doesn't show yet since Logos turned on forum moderation for postings with links in it. Guess we have to wait...

EDIT: one of the links was http://biblestudymagazine.com/about/ 

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 31 2012 8:21 AM

Daniel J. Phillips:

This is the FaithLife Daily Devotional. Is there any more you want to know about it?

EDIT: just re-read your first post. Regarding the training of the editors, I'm not sure how much we know about them. Obviously Logos considers them qualified, so they likely have some formal credentials. Since this is a devotional, I just take it for what it is, and feel completely free to disagree or agree with them - as I would with any devotional written by anyone (credentials, national status, or not). But I don't generally read devotionals - at least not regularly - I rarely "connect" with them. (YMMV)

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 191
Daniel J. Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 31 2012 8:45 AM

Thanks, I'll keep watching.

(c:

Posts 11726
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 31 2012 10:02 AM

Daniel J. Phillips:

Thanks, I'll keep watching.

It now appeared (not changing the thread status from read to unread and not here below, but in the time sequence of posting). Hope it helps a bit.

Posts 2983
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 22 2013 10:14 AM

I've read the devotional a bit and have been disappointed. It seems to be focussed too much on making the text relevant today without at times being as interested in what the text acutally says. Today's reading from Revelation 21 on the New Jerusalem is a good example. It is reaching  hard for application but seems to regularly miss that the best application will flow from what the text actually says rather than taking an idea presented in the text and expounding on it. 

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 22 2013 2:43 PM

Jacob!          *smile*         Peace and Every Blessing!

Some of our reactions to and our considerations of various devotions are intensely personal!  Personally I have John and Rebecca prioritised very highly in my library because I want to see them toward the beginning of my Home Page.  I've been very impressed with their various sharings for a long, long time now!             *smile*

Before I make my final statement here, I want you to know that I read the Revelation text after reading your post!           Then I very carefully re-read the text!           And then read it the third time ....

And it ends up that my judgement concerning this devotional is that it is quite excellent and is very helpful for me on my Journey Through Life as a follower of our Lord Jesus and  as a member of His Holy Church with my name written in the Book of Life!

Some of this is simply a matter of taste.  My wife doesn't like parsnips and eggplant.  I "relish" both!

For those who do not have this devotional, here is today's devotion:

October 22: The New Jerusalem

Revelation 21:9–27

We are being made new. God is working in us now, and He will one day complete His work. Scripture speaks of the ultimate hope of this renewal: our reunion with God. For the first-century Jews, the new Jerusalem signified God once again dwelling with His people.

In his revelation, John describes the relationship between God and His people when He completes His work in us: “Behold, the dwelling of God is with humanity, and he will take up residence with them, and they will be his people and God himself will be with them. And he will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death will not exist any longer, and mourning or wailing or pain will not exist any longer. The former things have passed away” (Rev 21:3–4).

The Lamb of God has achieved this picture of new creation and dwelling in God’s presence. His light is present throughout the imagery: “And the city has no need of the sun or of the moon, that they shine on it, for the glory of God illuminates it, and its lamp is the Lamb” (Rev 21:23). Because of the Lamb’s sacrifice, the former things have passed away.

God will make you completely new—free from sin, suffering, and pain. You are in transformation right now; He is shining His light in your life, exposing the darkness and separating it from the light. And someday you will stand before Him without fear of sin or pain or death or sorrow—a work of new creation. How are you, like the recipients of John’s revelation, living in expectation of being made new?

How is God making you new today? What area of your life needs to reflect His work in you?

Rebecca Kruyswijk[1]

[1] Barry, J. D., & Kruyswijk, R. (2012). Connect the Testaments: A Daily Devotional. Bellingham, WA: Logos Bible Software.

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 8059
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 23 2013 12:05 AM

It's an ok resource.  Some articles are ok others seemed forced and totally disconnected with the chosen text for the reading.  Also most questions at the end for meditation seem like the author is talking to a child and not an adult.  I prefer John G. Butler's Daily Readings.  All four volumes are excellent and practical for devotional or to get you started studying a text.  

DAL

Posts 2983
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 23 2013 3:41 PM

Thank you for your response Charles. I'm glad you have been blessed by the resource. 

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS