TIP: Safe Landing Spot for the Search-this-Resource

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 1 2012 6:27 AM

I probably should have put this in the Windows forum; don't know if this works for the Mac.

My problem was that when you right-click on a word (greek, hebrew, or english) and 'search this resource', Logos4 seemed to have absolutely no idea where to put the Search panel among my other panels.  When I open other resources, the software seems to try to match up similar tabs. But not Search! It's a free-for-all.

First I tried using the 'Target' ('Send Searches Here'). That worked fine as long as it didn't hit a crash combination (on my PC apparently). Also, I really didn't want it to write over previous searches anyway.

Then I noticed the software seemed to always put Search in a specific place, no matter where previous searches were located. I tried various combinations to see what the principle was.

It turns out (subject to someone else finding otherwise), that the software puts the Search panel in the SECOND PANEL CREATED in sequence in the main window. Not the second panel in the display, but the nth panel created for the main window.

Sooooo .... by carefully building my layout and giving a home for 'Search' in the 2nd panel introduced, all is now quiet and orderly! And no more 'Target' crashes. The Searches line up in tabs really nice and neat for me to review.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 1 2012 7:27 AM

Good tip!  I usually just drag the search from the left side of the right click popup, but if you know where it is going to land this is easier.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 1 2012 9:55 AM

Good point.

Totally unrelated to the 'tip' but why predicatable search panels are good is the previously introduced NT Disourse Bundle and the approaching OT Discourse Bundle:
http://www.logos.com/product/3888/lexham-discourse-greek-new-testament-bundle
http://www.logos.com/product/6786/lexham-discourse-hebrew-bible-bundle

Many wonder just how you 'use' the discourse resources. And Steve Runge includes several good introductions and explanations of their importance.

For me the visual-ness of presentation was very important simply because at a glance, one could quickly see the underlying greek structures without a lot of expertise.

But the OTHER value I hadn't thought much about was its SEARCHABILITY. They made it so you can right-click the little discourse symbols which then allows jumping to the glossary/introductions. Or more importantly searching the USE of that specific technique among the writers and in specific NT discussions.

Once a search is set up, then you can narrow it down to other features, make passage lists, etc. The discourse NT also includes many other search fields, which is handy.

Now THAT is POWER!! I don't know how I missed this feature, but it REALLY opens up the whole subject.

I can't wait for the OT version. WOW!

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 10832
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 1 2012 2:19 PM

Jerry M:
 I usually just drag the search from the left side of the right click popup

I usually just type Cmd-Option-F to make it a floating window—you can make adjustment if you are a poor soul who must use Windows Big Smile (notice the big toothy grin)

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 1 2012 9:12 PM

Jack Caviness:
(notice the big toothy grin)

Perhaps you can explain to me one more time why you need a link at the bottom of your post on how to report bugs that occur in Mac.  

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 10832
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 2 2012 3:09 AM

Jerry M:

Jack Caviness:
(notice the big toothy grin)

Perhaps you can explain to me one more time why you need a link at the bottom of your post on how to report bugs that occur in Mac.  

Because that is the version that interests me. If I were a Windows user, the links would be different, but still to assist those who encounter buggy software,. and you cannot deny that L4 Win also has it bugs. But then Windows users are probably more tolerant of… Geeked

Besides, the links are for bugs in L4 Mac, not in the OS. It's part of L4's Windows legacy Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS