Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 22
Graceman | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 8 2009 7:31 AM

I was looking at these two resources as a possible next aquisition and was wondering how valuable they are to an individual user. Any feedback or imput would be appreciated from current users. How do they compare with the other syntax resources I have such as OpenText.org  and the Lexham syntactically anylysized Greek New Testament.....? Is the LDGNT/HDNT just the next step or is this a Quantum leap ahead? 

Thanks,

Pastor Chris McFarland

Posts 172
Chris Ease | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 8 2009 7:35 AM
I have these resources, but I do not have the syntax stuff. I thought syntax was my next move. Anyway, the resources are fine and probably complement syntax, but I find myself not using them much. If you understand discourse analysis, this resource is for you. If you go to Logos webpage on these resources you can actually see what the logos version looks like.
Posts 294
Debra W Bouey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 8 2009 10:14 AM

I use both regularly ... but, then, I still struggle more with my Greek for some inexplicable reason - by far - than I do with my archaic Hebrew. I almost always have both open in a side-by-side format and generally use them daily. But, then, I'm not preparing sermons, so I can't comment on its potential usefulness in that arena.

Steven Runge did a very informative series of related blog posts ahead of the maiden release of both.

Lenovo P72: Intel 8th Gen i7-8750H 6-core, 32GB RAM, 2TB HDD + 1TB Sata SSD, 17.3" FHD 1920x1080, NVIDIA Quadro P600 4GB, Win 10 Pro

Posts 62
James R. Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2010 12:02 PM

I don't where else to post my question... I purchased the HDNT recently. I remember someone (somewhere else that I can't find now) saying that "you need to learn the symbols" and that they always keep the Glossary open in a tab as a handy reference.

Here's my question: Is there a simple listing of the symbols (a "key") somewhere? I've looked in the HDNT, the Glossary and the Introduction - I can't find anything. I would love to print a "key" to the symbols as a handy reference.

Is there such a thing? If so, where is it? If not (and this is not a question but an objection), why not?

Thanks!

Posts 172
Chris Ease | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2010 3:59 PM

Hovering over the symbol tells you what the symbol means.  You can link it to the glossary.  As far as a key reference, I don't know if that exists.

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2010 4:23 PM

I have been using the Lexham Series since they were published in connection with my doctoral research. They are very useful in helping to unpick exactly what is happening in dynamic, grammatical terms in a Biblical text. At present the Discourse Grammar of the Greek New Testament: A Practical Introduction for Teaching and Exegesis is available on PrePub. http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/4599

In producing the Discourse Grammar to the Greek New Testament, Steven Runge has provided an important key to applying the principles of Discourse Analysis to the New Testament text. By its publication Logos are making available a resource which makes Discourse Analysis more accessible than it has been hitherto, and, thereby, have opened it up to many people who have been unable or unwilling to expend the time needed to master what to many is a completely new discipline. As someone who grappled with the complexities of Discousre Analysis for about eighteen months, Runge's function-based taxonomy of the elements of discourse analysis has helped me organise my own rather eclectic mix of analytical tools into something which has given me an overview of this approach to the New Testament texts.

What the Discourse Grammar does for scholars and preachers is to explain in a practical way how the various devices deployed in LDGNT, Clausal Relations and HDNT may be used to understand the original author's compositional choices, as a means to elucidate his hermeneutical intentions. Importantly, they also give us confidence to use LDGNT, etc as tools in our own exegesis, because Runge lays open his presuppositions and rationale for his approach. With every analytical device Runge examines the conventional explanation for that device before exploring the discourse explanation and then its application. At every step he also provides extensive reading lists.

For people who have already acquired the Lexham Bible Series, the Discourse Grammar will help them get the best out of the whole series. For those interested in broadening their exegetical approaches it is the ideal starting point. Want to understand Discourse Analysis? Then READ THIS FIRST!

Steve Runge is the Scholar in residence at Logos and blogs occasionally in the Logos Blog and has his own NT Discsourse Blog. If you want a flavour of what Discourse Analysis can do, you can sample it at http://www.ntdiscourse.org.

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 23 2010 7:03 AM

James

I've been thinking a bit more about what you were looking for. Chris is right: I don't think there is a key. In fact, the number of discourse devices is so large that I doubt if a key could be devised that was small enough to be accessible and large enough to be meaningful. However, I would draw your attention to the embedded device markers. Hovering your mouse over a marker brings up its glossary reference. See the example below:

In the above example hovering over [SP brings up the glossary definition for Spatial Frames. (Almost everything on the page can be hoveredover to provide information in a pop-up box.

You can even do a search to find, say, all the Topical Frames in Mark's Gospel by right clicking selecting Selected Text "SP", then Search…, then in the Search box select Special enter range as Mark and search. It produces 21 verses throughout the Gospel.

This is seriously handy and saves masses of time visually scanning every line of text to find what you are looking for. Big Smile

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS