Grouping Perseus into Folders in my Library

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 24
John Dennis Maher | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 9 2012 8:20 AM

I downloaded the free Perseus offering -- a LOT of books, papers, etc.  Is it possible to set up my Library with Perseus divided/groups into Folders -- example... Perseus (Latin); Perseus (Greek); Perseus (Civil War); etc. As it currently exists in the Library, it is a royal pain to scroll through all of them to get to what I want, and I do NOT want to have to hide each of them.

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 9 2012 8:26 AM

John, you cannot create subfolders in Library. Try creating Collections which can be opened and viewed (and searched) individually. If you need help there is a lot of info in the wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Collections

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 9 2012 8:27 AM

You can't group them into folders, but you can tag them and sort by tags. Does that help?

http://wiki.logos.com/Tagging

(P.S. If you sort by language, you can add some of your tags en masse.)

Posts 24
John Dennis Maher | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 9 2012 8:40 AM

OK. neither posted suggestion really accomplishes what I want. Maybe the best thing is to contact Logos and have them remove Perseus from my Library. Will they do this via email?

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 9 2012 8:42 AM

John D. Maher:
Is it possible to set up my Library with Perseus divided/groups into Folders -- example... Perseus (Latin); Perseus (Greek); Perseus (Civil War); etc.

Folders, no, but you can use mytags to do pretty much the same thing. Then sort the library by the mytag column, or filter by mytag:xyz.

Or simply use the filtering without mytags: perseus lang:latin should bring up only Latin Perseus books, for example.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 9 2012 8:58 AM

John D. Maher:
OK. neither posted suggestion really accomplishes what I want. Maybe the best thing is to contact Logos and have them remove Perseus from my Library.

Maybe we all misunderstood. I think we all assumed you wanted to easily find the Perseus resources, but now I suspect you want to easily find the resources that are not Perseus. If so type rating:>=0 -perseus in the library find box, and all the Perseus books will disappear from sight. (If you haven't rated anything you can use rating:0 -perseus.)

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 24
John Dennis Maher | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 9 2012 9:00 AM

I appreciate the three of you responding. I am not trying to separate books into groupings to be able to pull that group up when I need it. The truth is, there are maybe 20-25 of the books out of the whole set that I really am interested in. I don't want to have to scroll through hundreds of Perseus books to get to what I really want each time...especially on my mobile Library.

Posts 24
John Dennis Maher | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 9 2012 9:01 AM

Thank you! THAT's what I was looking for.

Posts 4764
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 9 2012 9:08 AM

Perhaps the more important question here is WHY can't the resources be grouped into folders and sub-folders? This was one of the first annoyances about L4 that I had, and the mytag and collection options are not remotely satisfactory toward accomplishing the need people have for folders. Collections are for searching, and even tags don't order things in the in the way a person desires. The current presentation of the Library in L4 is obnoxiously obnoxious--on a 10-point scale, it gets a -5 deduction. The common response is...it isn't needed--collections, mytags, etc., etc., ad nauseum. Funny how so many people (and I've seen dozens of requests for this basic common sense feature) continue to ask for this "unnecessary" ability.

Why would people ask repeatedly for something wholly unnecessary??? BECAUSE THEY PERCEIVE A GENUINE NEED FOR IT! It would be a massive help in gaining some visual organizational control over libraries that sprawl into the thousands of items.

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 9 2012 11:16 AM

fgh:
Maybe we all misunderstood. I think we all assumed you wanted to easily find the Perseus resources, but now I suspect you want to easily find the resources that are not Perseus. If so type rating:>=0 -perseus in the library find box, and all the Perseus books will disappear from sight. (If you haven't rated anything you can use rating:0 -perseus.)

Yes And while you are at it and have NO Perseus resources showing, select all of the resources you see and apply a tag to them (I use NPER). Then you can shorten the entry you need to make: mytag:NPER and see all non-Perseus items. (If you add new resources you need to remember to do this.)

You can also tag the few Perseus resources you want so you can find them or have them show in your exclusive listing by applying the NPER (or whatever you chose above) tag for those few resources.

More grist for the mill.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 9 2012 11:51 AM

Mark Smith:
And while you are at it and have NO Perseus resources showing, select all of the resources you see and apply a tag to them (I use NPER). Then you can shorten the entry you need to make: mytag:NPER and see all non-Perseus items.

Good idea! If you choose a tag abbreviation that isn't likely to ever be part of a title, subject or publisher name, you don't even have to type the mytag: part. 

Or if you aren't using rating, you could give one star to most Perseus books, two stars to the Perseus books you want to use, and three stars to non-Perseus books. Then you can either click on the Rating column and expand the relevant rating, or filter by rating:3.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 9 2012 12:00 PM

By the way, if you haven't heard it: the next stable release will let you hide multiple resources at the same time.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 53
Rod Rogers | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 10 2012 7:53 AM

Just wanted to say that this is one of the best tips I have got! Thanks for posting it.

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 10 2012 8:17 AM

I would really recommend using one of the suggestions to filter out the Perseus resources instead of hiding them. They are very useful when doing word studies to see how a specific Greek word was used in other Greek texts. Many of these works are mentioned in the major lexicons, and the Perseus Classics include many of them with English translations. Thanks for posting these tips on filtering. I think in some cases where people have wanted to have them hidden or deleted from their account, filtering using tags or ratings is a better options. You don't have to deal with them showing up all the time, but you still have the benefit of using them when they are useful for study.

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 10 2012 8:30 AM

David Paul:
WHY can't the resources be grouped into folders and sub-folders?

I wish this would happen, this would be an incredible improvement to Logos.

But perhaps I aim too high, after all folder technology has only been around for 40 years or so...

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 10 2012 8:39 AM

I thought I would post a couple of Logos Blog Posts that demonstrate the Perseus Classics Collections usefulness for Bible Word Study.

five reasons why the Perseus Project is incredible

How the Perseus Classics Collection Can Transform Your Textual Searches in Logos | Logos Talk: The Logos Bible Software Blog

Blessings!

Posts 2305
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 10 2012 9:22 AM

Philana Crouch:
would really recommend using one of the suggestions to filter out the Perseus resources instead of hiding them. They are very useful when doing word studies to see how a specific Greek word was used in other Greek texts.

Very thoughtful post. I affirm its usefulness. Additionally, you will find LSJ  http://www.logos.com/product/3879/liddell-and-scott-greek-english-lexicon

indispensable in this regard.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 885
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 10 2012 10:24 AM

Mark Smith:
More grist for the mill.

Yes  I thought that I and Gordon R. Dickson (from my formative SciFi reading days) might be the only people who use the phrase!  AND We're both "Mark"... coincidence? I don't believe in coincidence!

"I read dead people..."

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS