lying dreams?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 18 2012 11:52 AM

I know the Bible talks about a lying spirit that misleads.  Can't remember where, but looked it up recently.  Does it say anything about lying/misleading dreams?  How  do I search for that in Logos?  Or are there biblical, as opposed to traditional, guidelines re interpretation of dreams?  People have a lot of dreams here, which are sometimes fulfilled.  They are terrified of nightmares.  I've actually started using Bible stories about dreams in our women's group:  The Magi and Joseph both had dreams they needed to obey instantly to avoid Jesus falling into the hands of Herod.  My Muslim neighbour was coming to Bible studies fairly regularly till she dreamt that a hostile "holy man" told her not to study 2 religions.  Afraid of him and knowing Jesus doesn't curse, she decided the safest thing to do was to avoid the risk of a curse and stick to her original religion.  If they dream aboput a shrine, they have to go there, or at least send someone else there with a gift.  A neighbour failed to visit the shrine she had been commanded to visit in a dream, and calamity really did strike.  (I think that was the time her son was killed in a tragic accident).  They sometimes dream of Jesus, but as they are not frightened of Jesus, they don't follow it up by learning more about him.  Any suggestions about relevant Bible stories would be gratefully received.

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 18 2012 12:25 PM

Try these searches

dreams WITHIN 10 WORDS misleading

dreams WITHIN 10 WORDS lie, lying (turn off match all word forms)

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2012 4:15 AM

Heb 1:1-2 comes to mind. 

very loosely summarized by me:

God used to speak to his prophets in dreams but Jesus is His ultimate communication.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2012 5:41 AM

My sheep know My voice.  You discern the voice of God in dreams the same way you discern His voice in Bible reading or prophetically.  You know Him so you know when it is He that is speaking.  His presence accompanies His voice.  God also gives the understanding of the message the dream contains, which is many times symbolic. God through the prophet Joel stated that dreams will increase in the last days, not decrease.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 1886
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2012 7:03 AM

TCBlack:
Heb 1:1-2 comes to mind. 

YesYesYes

Win 10 | Android 9 | Fire OS 5

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2012 7:47 AM

Eliphaz, Job's "friend" had a dream that was both terrifying and suspect as far as whom it was from and the message that it conveyed (Job 4:12–17). False prophets are also known for deceptive dreams (Jer 29:8) and Col 2:18 refers to erroneous visions (though of a vision can differ from a dream). Job was terrified by his dreams (7:14). Was it Satan doing it (though Job believed it came from the LORD) or was it simply issuing from the discomfort and restlessness of his physical distress?

There is no instruction in the Bible about a method for interpretating dreams. What we see instead is that some individuals had dreams that did not require interpretation (Joseph the husband of Mary) and others had a gift through which the interpretation of dreams was revealed to them which otherwise eluded experienced secular dream interpreters (Daniel, Joseph the son of Jacob). 

In any case, a word search is not the most effective for this kind of Bible study, topical resources are. If you have several good ones (Naves, dictionary of Bible themes, etc) make them into a collection and search for dreams. I found lots of material in mine that way.

I have had one terrifying dream once which I thought was from the Lord. I was in a situation which involved other people and in the dream I was in a peaceful setting when all the sudden peril caught from behind. I woke up really marked by that dream and having the distinct impression that a couple I knew was going to betray me. And this is exactly what happened.

In another case, I know of a girl who had lived a very promiscuous life and wrestle with surrendering to the Lord. When she stepped in that direction, she had an onslaught of terrifying dreams and frights in the night. The devil was seeking to scare her. It worked though several years later, she came around. Sometimes dreams can be the arena of spiritual battles. 

A long time ago, I had a significant spiritual battle and evil temptation. One night I woke up suddenly and there was an ugly face right next to mine. I instinctively swiped to defend myself and it was gone. But it was scary. There is nothing that the Lord cannot protect from though, as long as we submit to Him. Resist the devil and he will flee from you, submit to God and draw near to Him and He will draw near to -you (Jas 4:7-8). I hope this helps.

Blessings to you and your study group.

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2012 12:52 PM

TCBlack:

God used to speak to his prophets in dreams but Jesus is His ultimate communication.

If I'm not mistaken that is from the TCBIV (Thomas C Black International Version)

I think that paraphrases that passage pretty wellYes

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2012 2:04 PM

nicky crane:

I know the Bible talks about a lying spirit that misleads.  Can't remember where, but looked it up recently.  Does it say anything about lying/misleading dreams?  How  do I search for that in Logos?  Or are there biblical, as opposed to traditional, guidelines re interpretation of dreams?  People have a lot of dreams here, which are sometimes fulfilled.  They are terrified of nightmares.  I've actually started using Bible stories about dreams in our women's group:  The Magi and Joseph both had dreams they needed to obey instantly to avoid Jesus falling into the hands of Herod.  My Muslim neighbour was coming to Bible studies fairly regularly till she dreamt that a hostile "holy man" told her not to study 2 religions.  Afraid of him and knowing Jesus doesn't curse, she decided the safest thing to do was to avoid the risk of a curse and stick to her original religion.  If they dream aboput a shrine, they have to go there, or at least send someone else there with a gift.  A neighbour failed to visit the shrine she had been commanded to visit in a dream, and calamity really did strike.  (I think that was the time her son was killed in a tragic accident).  They sometimes dream of Jesus, but as they are not frightened of Jesus, they don't follow it up by learning more about him.  Any suggestions about relevant Bible stories would be gratefully received.

I believe you are thinking of the incident involving Micaiah ben Imlah in 1 Kings 22.1-40.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2353
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 21 2012 7:49 AM

Try Jeremiah 23

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS