Old Testament LXX in the NT

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 378
Clint Cozier | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 23 2012 3:19 PM

I find Jones' Old Testament Quotations and Allusions in the New Testament to be a huge time-saver. I would like to be able to view Jones using NA27 (or whatever GNT text) for the NT citations and the OT quotations from a LXX version. Can this be done?

Thanks!

Posts 10821
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2012 3:29 PM

Dr. Clint Cozier:
I would like to be able to view Jones using NA27 (or whatever GNT text) for the NT citations and the OT quotations from a LXX version. Can this be done?

Yes. Under the resource menu (upper left of the panel), you can find a Link Set option. Since OTQ&A is indexed by Bible reference, you can link it to NA27, and they will follow each other. Set both resources to the same link.

Posts 378
Clint Cozier | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2012 4:23 PM

But can I have LXX and GNT in the same link set?  I'd like to get the Greek text (rather than the English) in Jone's tables.  Let me do some playing around with the link sets again.  

Thanks!

Posts 10821
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2012 4:47 PM

Dr. Clint Cozier:
But can I have LXX and GNT in the same link set?

You can have them in the same link set, but only one of those can be dynamic at a time. The address box in Jones can only contain a single address at a time. However, in the screenshot below, you could go to Leviticus 19.12 and have LXX follow. Then go to Matthew 5.33 and GNT will follow. LXX will not move from Leviticus 19:12

A bit convoluted, but it works.

Posts 378
Clint Cozier | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 23 2012 5:37 PM

Thanks....Makes me want a combined NT / LXX greek text like the BGT text from Bibleworks. Would make this much easier.

Posts 378
Clint Cozier | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 26 2012 4:06 AM

Speaking of which....is there a way for me to export a tagged GNT and LXX then combine them in a personal book? Could I (for example) export the BGT text from Bibleworks and bring that into a personal book? Can a morphological search be run against a personal book? That could make work from the NT into the LXX so much easier.

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 26 2012 6:24 AM

You can also select "send hyperlinks here" in the resource menu of the LXX and NA27 and then put them in one pane.  Then whatever reference you click on in Jone's will open in that pane in Greek.  Even if you have LXX and NA27 side by side, having them set as send hyperlinks here allows you to just click on a reference to activate the link set rather than typing in the reference. 

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 26 2012 7:01 AM

Or you can open two copies of Jone's and set one to "search" in the NA27 and the other in the LXX and link them.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 26 2012 8:34 AM

Mmm ... I think this last one hits the spot (I was interested in also matching up the GNT with the LXX (and choosing which of each).

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 378
Clint Cozier | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 26 2012 2:52 PM

Jerry,

Thanks for your suggestions. Both of them address my initial need.  I hadn't seen the "send hyperlinks here" menu before....good to pick that up.

Thanks.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 26 2012 4:34 PM

I just put this comment in if anyone else has the same issue. As I was 'perfecting' the LXX >> GNT connect, I successfully crashed Logos4 several times. Typically it happened opening the 2nd instance of OT Quotes/Allusions (and then linking them with separate greek sources). I tried simple opening, new window opening, new tab opening and drag-opening all working great at crashing the software.

But I was able to calm it down by cloning the first instance's tab. My guess is it got mixed up on its background display resource. And I'm also guessing this was a fluky experience (not worth reporting per se).

But the concept does indeed work great. I tied it in with my Bible Comparison window; surprisingly there's A LOT of OT/NT connects listed.

Remember there's TWO of these OT/NT resources in Logos4 by the same author. One is strictly quotes; the other includes allusions as well.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2012 6:55 AM

Dr. Clint Cozier:

Thanks....Makes me want a combined NT / LXX greek text like the BGT text from Bibleworks. Would make this much easier.

Then go vote for it at http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4/suggestions/549445-resource-associations.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2012 8:26 PM

Jerry M:
Or you can open two copies of Jone's and set one to "search" in the NA27 and the other in the LXX and link them.

If NA27 is on the left and LXX on the right, then Greek is in the middle for comparison:

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS