Priority of Bible commentaries?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 941
P A | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 25 2012 10:20 AM

Hi

How do you prioritize your library of Bible commentaries?

Do you put the technical ones first? expository one second, devotional ones third?

Or do you put a short 1 volume (whole Bible) commentary first, then move onto series?

Or do you put chapter by chapter (section by section) commentaries first, then verse by verse commentaries?

How do you do it?

Thanks

P AGeeked

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 25 2012 11:01 AM

P A:

How do you prioritize your library of Bible commentaries?

Do you put the technical ones first? expository one second, devotional ones third?

I have only one priority for commentaries—technical commentaries.  If a commentary doesn't base its comments on solid grounds, it isn't worth considering.  Also, I should be able to make my own application.  I take that back, I do have one non-technical commentary I keep—Matthew Henry.  The man has a heart.  I don't, however, read him as a commentary, i.e., to understand some point of a passage.  I read him simply to read him. 

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 10822
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 25 2012 12:15 PM

George Somsel:
The man has a heart.  I don't

Look what you can do if you ignore context. Big Smile

P A

That would depend on your personal preferences. I prioritize the most useful commentaries first. In my case that would be NICOT/NT, Pillar, WBC, New American, Lenski, NIGTC, UBS Handbooks, Bible Speaks Today—not technical, but Stott always had good insights.

I do not prioritize one-volume commentaries because they seldom have enough meat to make it worth the time required to consult them.

Posts 1131
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 25 2012 12:20 PM

P A:

Is there somewhere a classification that would help me find out what commentary belongs to which category?

Armin

Posts 2492
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 25 2012 12:36 PM

Check out this thread - it might be what you are looking for.

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/50319.aspx

Posts 2989
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 25 2012 12:41 PM

I generically prioritize the commentary sets that I tend to find helpful (these are the one's generally written from an conservative evangelical text-driven approach: i.e. Pillar, NICOT/NT, Holman, EEC, etc). Then as I study individual books and I find other commentaries that I like best I prioritize those book by book

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 452
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 25 2012 12:56 PM

Armin:

Is there somewhere a classification that would help me find out what commentary belongs to which category?

bestcommentaries.com classifies all the commentaries on their site by type. It also tags Revelations commentaries by perspective (premil, amil, postmil), which can be pretty helpful.

Posts 1826
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 25 2012 3:33 PM

You don't have to necessarily prioritize your commentaries the way that you describe. There is another option.

Mark Barnes' "Library" video shows how to tag your commentaries as Technical, Intermediate, Expository and so on so that you can search whatever type of commentary that you need.

You  simply have your commentaries tagged as "commentary technical", commentary intermediate" and so forth and then you can do a search for what ever kind of commentary that you wish to see or are in the mood for.

You can go to logos4 training  .com and select video #15 to see exactly how it works. Also, if you click on the documents tag you will see exactly how he has tagged his commentaries.

It is a very good video that I would suggest for anyone to watch.

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 25 2012 4:55 PM

I prioritized my favorite commentaries and even put a few right below my preferred Bible translation so that they would show up on a right click.  Then I created collections of commentaries according to the type that  they were and then created a custom passage guide with those categories.  Now I can right click on a passage, select my commentary guide and chose between 1 volume, critical, exegetical, application, language, word study or untagged commentaries.  Each commentary has been tagged in the library and the collection is based on that tag.  Some would skip using the collection tool as it may slow your software down some, but I like the way I did it.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 1131
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 26 2012 1:52 AM

Thanks so much for these great hints. Now I only need to find the time to implement them. 

Armin

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS