Advance Notice: Logos Ending Windows XP Support October 26, 2012

Page 8 of 23 (446 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last »
This post has 445 Replies | 12 Followers

Posts 2584
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 12:10 PM

Jim Gammon:
a need to purchase a $3500 machine

I don't think ANYBODY has claimed that hardware of this level is required.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 5636
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 12:34 PM

Jim Gammon:

Now, I've committed to  most of your community pricing, and do not see a need to purchase a $3500 machine just because you SUDDENLY come up with the bright idea to change.

When you add this to the fact, that my fastest XP machine would not run with your software (Even with a high priced Computer man here working with your Customer Service Techs), so I had to acquire the dedicated machine last fall to run it, that really makes me wonder what you derive from your Bible study, except dollars.

If you acquire a machine last fall, then it will easily run Windows 7 on it.  There is no need to go to Windows 8---the Win 7 upgrade can be had for just over $100.  You don't have to buy hardware  (Even if you did new hardware, $3500 is 3-4 times as much as you'd need to get a good machine.  I bought a laptop for Logos last fall for $750).

Also your XP version of Logos isn't going to stop working. And I would bet all Community pricing resources will still work on the final XP compatible version of Logos, simply because those kinds of resource don't have "special features" that might need the latest version.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 8
Jim Gammon | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 12:42 PM

Once again, the mm's signal they are all around us.

The machine acquired last fall is an XP rebuilt with quality materials, but it was not last fall's latest model -- which would have been a stupid purchase when I planned to obtain the latest technology and software in 2013.

Perhaps you are a product of Government Schools, or perhaps the IQ has not reached your physical height. Whatever it is, next time before ymaking a stupid rejoinder you might consider asking an intelligent question to obtain enough facts to warrant your reply.

If you didn't speak in Charlotte last night, then the Convention organizers missed the opportunity to schedule one of their own kind!

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 12:42 PM

Todd Phillips:
(Even if you did new hardware, $3500 is 3-4 times as much as you'd need to get a good machine.  I bought a laptop for Logos last fall for $750).

Depends on the country and import fees and exchange rates....Indifferent

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 8
Jim Gammon | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 12:48 PM

Once again, an MM signals his keyboard works. Unfortunately, not his mind.

When will people like you ever learn to ask intelligent questions before you fire your intellectual blanks?

Frankly, I suspect the answer is never.

On the other hand, evolutionists should rejoice. One suspects the missing link is identifying itself.

Enjoy the mire!

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 12:52 PM

Hi Jim, welcome to the Forum!

Jim Gammon:
Once again, an MM signals his keyboard works. Unfortunately, not his mind.

Please notice that i was addressing Todd.

Hope your day goes better.

Love in Christ brother,
steve

Posts 12259
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 12:54 PM

ken alexander:

i have windows Vista. I don't know if its Vista SP2. will your updates run on Windows Vista?

I'd assume when Logos put in the kinimum service Pack level in their announcement, it's for a reason, such as .NET support or specific bugfixes from "original" Vista or SP1. If you are not on the lates SP (Service Pack), you should try to upgrade your Vista to it - these are free and fix some relevant bugs and security holes in the operating system. 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 1
Robert Armstrong | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 12:58 PM

Respectfully Bob, 60 days does not qualify as "advance notice".  60 days notice in the software world IS last minute notice.  The official end of sales for PCs with Windows XP pre-installed was October 22, 2010.  So you're basically saying that 2 year old computers with XP on them won't be supported.  I don't think that's reasonable. I would expect Logos as a software development company to have better planning and communication than this. 

For many of us, Logos and our related libraries are significant investments.  There are many whose investments far exceed the cost of the computer on which the software runs.  For you to drop support for XP with only 60 days notice really disrespects your customers.  I have worked in the software industry for years and I have never experienced this kind of approach to dropping support for an OS.  I would strongly recommend that you consider a more well-planned and well executed communication strategy with your customers.

Regards,

Bob A.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 1:00 PM

Jim Gammon:

My dedicated XP machine has over 3100 of your books. Buying totally new equipment and OS is not in my plans this year.  I wanted the new OS to get the bugs out before investing.

Now, I've committed to  most of your community pricing, and do not see a need to purchase a $3500 machine just because you SUDDENLY come up with the bright idea to change.

My daughter is having a problem with her old machine so I was looking at what was available.  If you don't need a monitor, you can get a very decent desktop for around $500.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 1:06 PM

Jim Gammon:

Once again, the mm's signal they are all around us.

The machine acquired last fall is an XP rebuilt with quality materials, but it was not last fall's latest model -- which would have been a stupid purchase when I planned to obtain the latest technology and software in 2013.

Perhaps you are a product of Government Schools, or perhaps the IQ has not reached your physical height. Whatever it is, next time before ymaking a stupid rejoinder you might consider asking an intelligent question to obtain enough facts to warrant your reply.

If you didn't speak in Charlotte last night, then the Convention organizers missed the opportunity to schedule one of their own kind!

Are you sure you aren't replying to a political blog?  Such hostility is unbecoming on this forum especially when someone is simply attempting to give you some useful advice.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8
Jim Gammon | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 1:16 PM

As long as people like you keep interrupting, it cannot go better.

Posts 1
Benjamin E. Vogel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 1:17 PM

I really want to keep using my Windows XP for new books as well.  I am not pleased that Logos is discontinuing support for XP.  Benjamin E. Vogel

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 1:19 PM

Wow. That really perked me up. And well worth it after that long drive back from Charlotte last night, gorging on MM's and trying to increase my intelligence quotient reading interstate signs,  Now just to figure out how come I was on I-75 instead of I-86 Maybe I need some more XP..

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 1:20 PM

Hi again Jim,

Jim Gammon:
As long as people like you keep interrupting, it cannot go better

This is a public forum, so others will chime into the discussion.

Perhaps if you learn to use the Reply method, it would better help you keep a specific conversation in tact (see this wiki article: Reply post editor )

i hope that you do find the answer(s) you are looking for!

Posts 6
Randy Mlinek | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 1:25 PM

Sorry to hear you are doing this.  I've been with Logos for twelve years & went through quite a few changes.  Promises made should be promises kept. I had planned to go to the grave with XP.

Randy Mlinek

Posts 8
Jim Gammon | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 1:26 PM

George: Once again you mm's attempt to mire the discussion in an area of your imagination. If you do not like hostility to imbecility, that revelation is certainly of interest to your biographers.

No one giving good advice has incurred hostility, 

Every rational person is obligated to reject stupidity as much as immorality. For ultimately, stupidity is immorality, stealing rationality as a means of living. Advising others to stoop to its level in the name of civility is imbecility.

Therefore, since your advice is no better than theirs, why not turn from your life of thievery?

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 1:33 PM

These are privately owned forums, and as such they have rules of conduct. Number 3 being:

"Please treat each other with the love, courtesy, respect, and kindness that you would if you were sitting in your living room together."

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 1:36 PM

George is too young for biographers.  And he hasn't read Ayn Rand yet.

Randy ... I know you're frustrated but there's nothing preventing you from using your Logos4 on XP for many years to come (assuming your computer similarly keeps going).

I'm still on Libronix on XP (several no less), running like a champ, periodically purchasing interesting Logos volumes (pre-2012 that is). Life is good and Logos can't touch me (except for more good books of course).

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1
clark m. olmstead | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 1:37 PM

I've been with Logos for 5 years, and this is a real slap in the face!  You can be sure that I will not buy anymore books from Logos, and will tell all my friends about the dropping of Windows xp.  Very Poor customer service!!!

Posts 30075
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 1:37 PM

Paul Golder:
"Please treat each other with the love, courtesy, respect, and kindness that you would if you were sitting in your living room together."

Thanks for the reminder Paul. It reminds me of something I read using Logos this afternoon.

If I speak in the languages of humans and angels but have no love, I have become a reverberating gong or a clashing cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can understand all secrets and every form of knowledge, and if I have absolute faith so as to move mountains but have no love, I am nothing. Even if I give away everything that I have and sacrifice myself, but have no love, I gain nothing. 

Love is always patient; 

love is always kind; 

love is never envious 

or arrogant with pride. 

Nor is she conceited, 

and she is never rude; 

she never thinks just of herself 

or ever gets annoyed. 

She never is resentful; 

is never glad with sin; 

she’s always glad to side with truth, 

and pleased that truth will win. 

She bears up under everything; 

believes the best in all; 

there is no limit to her hope, 

and never will she fall. 

Love never fails. Now if there are prophecies, they will be done away with. If there are languages, they will cease. If there is knowledge, it will be done away with. For what we know is incomplete and what we prophesy is incomplete. 10 But when what is complete comes, then what is incomplete will be done away with. 

11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, thought like a child, and reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up my childish ways. 12 Now we see only an indistinct image in a mirror, but then we will be face to face. Now what I know is incomplete, but then I will know fully, even as I have been fully known. 

13 Right now three things remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Page 8 of 23 (446 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last » | RSS