Advance Notice: Logos Ending Windows XP Support October 26, 2012

Page 16 of 23 (446 items) « First ... < Previous 14 15 16 17 18 Next > ... Last »
This post has 445 Replies | 12 Followers

Posts 2967
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 5:12 AM

Michael Parry -Thomas:

I'd like to know how a biblical software application needs more power than some of the top end graphic applications?

Logos 4 is one of the TOP END GRAPHIC APPLICATIONS!!!!!!
All that you see are painted to the screen in a GRAPHIC mode not in a text mode.

“Microsoft started development on the .NET Framework in the late 1990s originally under the name of Next Generation Windows Services (NGWS). By late 2000 the first beta versions of .NET 1.0 were released.”  [from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework_version_history]

NET is the software that is used to paint the screen.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 6:43 AM

I can understand the calming remarks on this thread. I just don't think they're realistic. It was just a short time ago calming remarks were made about Libronix. 'Oh, you can use both at the same time.' That lasted all of 18 months or so. At which point new and exciting books (the point!) are out of reach.

Then the calming remarks switch to 'se la vi'.

I've no doubt, if the conversation were in person, the heads would be shaking and the comment would be 'Gee, I don't know WHAT you're going to do!'

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 22
Rob Henderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 8:47 AM

Will this affect the syncing of resources and reading plans between Logos 4+ of 5 with XP after October?

Posts 30656
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 9:14 AM

Rob Henderson:
Will this affect the syncing of resources and reading plans between Logos 4+ of 5 with XP after October?

Probably not. Remember - Logos knows that not everyone is going to upgrade, plus the system still has to sync with the mobile platforms. Logos just spent a considerable amount of time migrating to a new sync infrastructure. I doubt they are changing again so soon. Wink

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 9:35 AM

alabama24:

Rob Henderson:

Probably not. Remember - Logos knows that not everyone is going to upgrade, plus the system still has to sync with the mobile platforms. Logos just spent a considerable amount of time migrating to a new sync infrastructure. I doubt they are changing again so soon. Wink

And I think they will sync because the data is not changing, and the data is going to Logos' servers, and the sync already deals with non-xp items.

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 10:32 AM

TCBlack:

Paul Golder:
Has to be a more trendy date

hmm.

10-11-12? (October, 11 2012)

10-11-12 is the 5th day of the week this year.

Posts 22
Rob Henderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 11:31 AM

Thanks Tom

Posts 2004
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 12:12 PM

DMB:
That lasted all of 18 months or so.

How long should it last? Is there a deterministic set of criteria by which a company can make a decision to stop supporting a product (though the product will continue to work)?

Donnie

Posts 2
David Teter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 12:24 PM

You folks in software land have apparently totally lost touch with what it's like in pastor land. From your perspective it's all about functionality and support (and a big bottom line). For those tending the flock its the difference between someone spending eternity in heaven or hell and having enough to put food on the table and keep the lights on! I have not "upgraded" to the platinum edition because I don't have an extra $1000 just looking for a place to be spent wisely. And now you're saying there is a time in the future when I either spend a grand (that I have already pointed out I don't have) for new PC that will run whatever OS Microsoft decides to come out with or risk at some point my investment in your software becoming obsolete (and a wasted investment). You're allowing Microsoft to define your purpose for being. Bad choice!

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 12:42 PM

Donnie ... I don't know. I'm not the one(s) trying to spread the gospel in places not rich in resources. But as I've said from the early days of my forum participation, the population of Logos users are not just book buyers. So maybe the usual business math might need a bit of adjustment.

Nah, just joking.

Logos is a profit-driven business.

And it's what's good for us that's most important, right?

Posts 30656
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 1:00 PM

David Teter:
And now you're saying there is a time in the future when I either spend a grand (that I have already pointed out I don't have) for new PC that will run whatever OS Microsoft decides to come out with or risk at some point my investment in your software becoming obsolete (and a wasted investment).

Dave – I can empathize with you, but you are mistaken. You will lose nothing. Your computer will continue to run in the state that it is in now. You have been harmed in no way. 

I like gadgets. I also happen to be unemployed. For several years now, the only time I get new gadgets is when people gift them to me. My parents purchased an iPad for my wife and me a couple of years ago. Apple is presumably releasing a new OS tomorrow (alongside the iPhone 5). My iPad will NOT be eligible to update to the new OS. There is a sense in which I feel that I have lost something… but that is ridiculous. Apple moving forward is what I want them to do. Just because I can't move with them doesn't mean I have been harmed. Tomorrow, when everyone is bragging about the new OS, my iPad will still function the way it does today. This analogy applies the same way for this Logos change. When the next version of Logos comes out, you will not be able to install it on your computer. You may feel a loss about that, but you will not have been harmed in any way. Your computer will still function the way it has in the past. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 1:07 PM

David Teter:

You folks in software land have apparently totally lost touch with what it's like in pastor land. From your perspective it's all about functionality and support (and a big bottom line). For those tending the flock its the difference between someone spending eternity in heaven or hell and having enough to put food on the table and keep the lights on! I have not "upgraded" to the platinum edition because I don't have an extra $1000 just looking for a place to be spent wisely. And now you're saying there is a time in the future when I either spend a grand (that I have already pointed out I don't have) for new PC that will run whatever OS Microsoft decides to come out with or risk at some point my investment in your software becoming obsolete (and a wasted investment). You're allowing Microsoft to define your purpose for being. Bad choice!

I don't know where you're getting the $1000 figure.  I checked for my daughter since she was considering a new computer.  Since you already have a monitor (I assume you're not reading the bits and bytes directly from the computer), you can get a very decent computer for under $500 without monitor.  If you check around you might get it for a fair amount below $500 (say, $300 range).

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 1:10 PM

DMB:

Logos is a profit-driven business.

And it's what's good for us that's most important, right?

Yes, unless we are desirous of having an orphan product which is what would happen if they didn't pay attention to the bottom line.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 3:24 PM

Well , you're probably correct. Every screen cost them and arm and a leg for the gee-whiz product line, so yes, unloading low-profit customers is probably a good thing for them.

Kind of like running your boat into shoaly waters. Reality is what to throw out.

Posts 74
Ralph Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 4:07 PM

It's about the money ! Lebowski.

Posts 1
Mike Wilkins | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 12 2012 1:40 PM

Bob,

While I understand the difficulties Logos faces in maintaining these different operating systems, I'm sure that there are many out there who, like me, work in small church situations with limited budgets and funds. The church supplies me with a desktop and laptop, both of which run on XP, and doesn't have the funds for me to upgrade to Windows 7 (much less 8) any time soon. 

I do manage to purchase a few commentaries and the like each year for my Logos 4 Library and am disappointed to learn that that any future books - maybe some already on order, won't be supported on my system in the near future.

I encourage Logos to reconsider its action and, at the very least, delay the discontinuation of support for XP. Mike

Posts 2746
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 12 2012 2:03 PM

alabama24:

David Teter:
And now you're saying there is a time in the future when I either spend a grand (that I have already pointed out I don't have) for new PC that will run whatever OS Microsoft decides to come out with or risk at some point my investment in your software becoming obsolete (and a wasted investment).

Dave – I can empathize with you, but you are mistaken. You will lose nothing. Your computer will continue to run in the state that it is in now. You have been harmed in no way. 

I like gadgets. I also happen to be unemployed. For several years now, the only time I get new gadgets is when people gift them to me. My parents purchased an iPad for my wife and me a couple of years ago. Apple is presumably releasing a new OS tomorrow (alongside the iPhone 5). My iPad will NOT be eligible to update to the new OS. There is a sense in which I feel that I have lost something… but that is ridiculous. Apple moving forward is what I want them to do. Just because I can't move with them doesn't mean I have been harmed. Tomorrow, when everyone is bragging about the new OS, my iPad will still function the way it does today. This analogy applies the same way for this Logos change. When the next version of Logos comes out, you will not be able to install it on your computer. You may feel a loss about that, but you will not have been harmed in any way. Your computer will still function the way it has in the past. 

Very good analogy. When Apple came with the new OS5 and it's Siri Voice Assistant, I was not included but my iPhone 4 works exactly the way it worked the day before the update. It's more about the feeling the first couple of days I had to realize I was "left behind" from the new update. Than I just moved on and just enjoy my iPhone 4 without those new bells and whistles. Smile

Bohuslav

Posts 1
Alan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 12 2012 5:58 PM

I use XP both at home and at work. I have no intention of upgrading any time soon. Microsoft is still supporting XP why not you? Makes me wonder why I invested in upgrading to Logos 4.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 12 2012 6:15 PM

Alan:

I use XP both at home and at work. I have no intention of upgrading any time soon. Microsoft is still supporting XP why not you? Makes me wonder why I invested in upgrading to Logos 4.

Like about 75% of those on the forum, you haven't been listening.  Microsof will no longer support Xp.  Then there is the question of the .NET 4 / 4.5.  Since 4.5 overwrites 4, and is not compatible with Xp, Logos would be restricting themselves to old technology.  Read before you reply.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 12 2012 6:29 PM

George Somsel:
Microsof will no longer support Xp.

George, that isn't true. MS will support XP through 2014. What they won't do is make .NET 4.5 compatible with XP, nor offer a service pack to allow .NET 4.5 to run on XP.

So, when Logos4 transitions to .NET 4.5 (which will help solve a lot of the issues it currently has), Logos users with XP will not be able to take advantage of those upgrades. Further, Logos will continue to offer customer support for Logos 4 for XP users (in spite of what the title of the thread seems to imply), it just won't be developing the program in a way that will be compatible with (i.e. "supports") XP machines.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Page 16 of 23 (446 items) « First ... < Previous 14 15 16 17 18 Next > ... Last » | RSS