Advance Notice: Logos Ending Windows XP Support October 26, 2012

Page 20 of 23 (446 items) « First ... < Previous 18 19 20 21 22 Next > ... Last »
This post has 445 Replies | 12 Followers

Posts 6779
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 14 2012 10:53 AM

George Somsel:
It begins to look as though this thread could go on forever (perhaps we can finish the discussion at the resurrection).

What if we do not all come up in the same resurrection? Smile

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 2004
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 14 2012 11:39 AM

Lynden Williams:
What if we do not all come up in the same resurrection?

I almost went there. If I had, it would have been: The one-and-only post-millennial resurrection. Right? ;)

Donnie

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 14 2012 11:56 AM

Donnie Hale:

Lynden Williams:
What if we do not all come up in the same resurrection?

I almost went there. If I had, it would have been: The one-and-only post-millennial resurrection. Right? ;)

Donnie

But the "millenium" is now.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2004
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 14 2012 12:46 PM

George Somsel:
But the "millenium" is now.

Exactly. Thus the resurrection must be postmillennial, or at least definitively *not* premillennial. I suppose we could start a new eschatological view: midmillennialism. ;)

Donnie

Posts 342
Michael Parry-Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 14 2012 2:23 PM

I hope Bob at logos would read this

It's a shame that logos causes this type was issue, a lot of these issues should have been discussed more with your technical team, and your sales team way in advanced
of developing your products, you have caused lots of customers concerns ,

If I was working for your company I would be ashamed of what I have read and seen how people have reacted to each other

The way you release information regarding your product does not seem very professional hence the chaos and reaction of customers on your forum

It is very hard to get a good reputation it is a very easy to create a situation where reputation starts to fade

There are so many companies that are offering biblical resources nobody can afford bad repetition when it comes to how they treat and release information about products to their customers,

Michael Parry-Thomas

I used speech technology to help me overcome my dyslexia sorry for any wrong pronounced words and punctuation

Mick
Posts 1723
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 14 2012 5:47 PM

Michael Parry -Thomas:
I hope Bob at logos would read this

It's a shame that logos causes this type was issue, a lot of these issues should have been discussed more with your technical team, and your sales team way in advanced
of developing your products, you have caused lots of customers concerns ,

I tried to be as clear as possible. I'm sorry if it wasn't clear enough. I do believe, though, that most of the chaos and confusion here comes from "overthinking" the situation instead of just taking the words as they are.

We couldn't announce this much earlier because we didn't know the situation with the final .NET 4.5 release until just recently. I believe that I posted this "Advance Notice" to the forums the very day I heard from our development lead that we had this problem. I'm pretty certain my understanding of why we needed to drop XP and the announcement here were separated by only a couple hours. I don't know how I could have done it faster, and if I'd spent a lot of time working the message with our team, then people would be upset that the message was late.

Moreover, my post announced it as a PLAN and asked for feedback (which you have all provided in abundance -- thanks!).

Again, I'm sorry it wasn't clearer. I really did try to make it clear, but since there are severe consequences for making statements about the future that turn out to be wrong, I was trying to be very careful to reassure while not promising something that I couldn't deliver in the future for reasons I can't predict.

Posts 1723
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 14 2012 5:56 PM

Super Tramp:
I read that to say I can not necessarily count on any future resources being able to run on an XP machine.

I've already clearly said that I can't see any reason resources won't be compatible long into the future. I would love to say "for x years!" but I am just not going to make promises about the future, because, being the future, it's sometimes different than I expect. :-)

I can say, though, that over the years our book format has stabilized, and each year we need to create fewer and fewer new data types -- we've already encountered almost everyone in books in our field. So I don't see a need for a dramatic new improvement to the book format that we can't back-port or make easily compatible with the existing Logos 4.6 generation of code. 

We do not have any "Logos 3 to Logos 4" type major re-architecture imminent. While we do put out "major releases", we've only "gone back to ground zero" and reinvented the book format in 1995, 2001, and 2009. Some simple math should lead us all to conclude that it's not likely that we'll "break" books for Logos 4 in less than 3 years, at which point XP will be 13 years old, and even the most die-hard XP user will likely have upgraded to Windows 9 -- or a Mac. :-)

(Of course there may be this or that book or feature that requires a lot of new code for a very specific reason -- I can't imagine what, but it happens -- something radical, like our 3D stereograph media resources -- that we won't back-port. But I don't think that's the case with anything presently on pre-pub or community pricing, with the "possible" (possible, possible, can't say for sure!) exception of the long-awaited Hebrew pronunciation add-in, which has its own tragic history I won't recount here.)

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 14 2012 6:22 PM

Bob Pritchett:
but I am just not going to make promises about the future, because, being the future, it's sometimes different than I expect. :-)

OUCH!  You really got me there. Wink    OK Bob, I capitulate.   The hornet spray is on the top shelf, in the pantry.

........I was hoping you had a good prophet on staff that knew what is coming. 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 14 2012 10:24 PM

Bob Pritchett:
I would love to say "for x years!" but I am just not going to make promises about the future

Hey Bob! I went out and upgraded my laptop today. It is good for the next X years of Logos and Windows. Take a look:

It has GPS and is solar powered!

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 20
Rickey Lamphere | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 15 2012 6:10 AM

My machine is 7 years old and still runs Great on Windows XP. I am not very happy that I am going to have to purchase a new operating unit to replace the old just to be able to get new updates for the software I purchased from Logos. 

I understand it is purely a business transaction but still not happy. I do believe for those of us that have to upgrade a business arrangement should be made with Logos and there paid customers and microsoft to update for a cheaper arranged price. This will take some of the sting out of the whole deal of updating software that still works. 

Respectfully, Rickey Lamphere

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 15 2012 6:26 AM

Rickey Lamphere:

My machine is 7 years old and still runs Great on Windows XP. I am not very happy that I am going to have to purchase a new operating unit to replace the old just to be able to get new updates for the software I purchased from Logos. 

I understand it is purely a business transaction but still not happy. I do believe for those of us that have to upgrade a business arrangement should be made with Logos and there paid customers and microsoft to update for a cheaper arranged price. This will take some of the sting out of the whole deal of updating software that still works. 

I could almost sympathize w/your request, buts let's be realistic:

Computers are a convenience not a neccessity; So is any and all software that accompanies them, so much so that Logos Bible Software is a user purchased item that is run and used on one of these conveniences that we have willingly purchased.

Sorry this seems so blunt............

R4m

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 15 2012 6:53 AM

Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) has .NET Framework 4.5 System Requirements => http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8z6watww.aspx that includes three versions of desktop Windows systems: Windows 8, Windows 7, and Vista SP2 along with two servers: 2008 and 2012.

Also noticed .NET Framework 4.5 includes support for 32 and 64 bit versions.  Wonder about Logos becoming a 64 bit application ?

By the way, Dell Outlet now has third generation i5 and i7 notebooks with 15" and 17" screens running Windows 7:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 15 2012 7:25 AM

Rickey Lamphere:

First of all, you didn't buy the software; you bought the resources that the sofware displays.  Then, I suggest that you read Bob's posts.   You don't absolutely need to purchase a new unit to continue using your resources or even to purchase new resources. 

Frankly, I'm getting tired of all of the complaints of this type made by those who apparently haven't read and understood what has been stated.  You would think the sky is falling so, Chicken Little, go read Bob's posts on page 1 and page 10 of this thread.  There is also a blog post you might look at.  It's no wonder we get so many strange interpretations of scripture when so many can't even understand what is being said here.  I can only imagine what a headache this all is for Bob.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 12569
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 15 2012 7:37 AM

George Somsel:
Frankly, I'm getting tired of all of the complaints of this type made by those who apparently haven't read and understood what has been stated.  You would think the sky is falling so, Chicken Little, go read Bob's posts on page 1 and page 10 of this thread.  There is also a blog post you might look at.  It's no wonder we get so many strange interpretations of scripture when so many can't even understand what is being said here.

Big Smile

George, you made me literally laughing out loud! I'm still smiling from one ear to the next. Thank you!  

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 1
Ernst Sibberson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 15 2012 10:49 AM

This does not make me happy. Upgrading to Win 7 from WP will cost an extreme amount of money as I'll have to upgrade several other high-end programs like Dreamweaver 8 and Photoshop CS!

Posts 10890
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 15 2012 11:03 AM

George Somsel:
It's no wonder we get so many strange interpretations of scripture when so many can't even understand what is being said here. 

George, It always scares me when I must agree with you Geeked I was thinking the same thing Hmm

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 15 2012 11:45 AM

Jack Caviness:

George Somsel:
It's no wonder we get so many strange interpretations of scripture when so many can't even understand what is being said here. 

George, It always scares me when I must agree with you Geeked I was thinking the same thing Hmm

Ditto +2

Posts 36051
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 15 2012 12:39 PM

Ernst Sibberson:
Upgrading to Win 7 from WP will cost an extreme amount of money

Luckily you don't have to upgrade so you can spend that extreme amount of money on Logos resources - or give it to me to spend as soon as Logos implements gift cards.Big Smile (No, I don't know if Logos is going to implement gift card - you can always use PayPal instead).

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 15 2012 5:04 PM

Ernst Sibberson:
Upgrading to Win 7 from WP will cost an extreme amount of money as I'll have to upgrade several other high-end programs like Dreamweaver 8 and Photoshop CS!

If you look a few posts above yours you will find a link stating that Photoshop will also stop supporting XP. 

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Page 20 of 23 (446 items) « First ... < Previous 18 19 20 21 22 Next > ... Last » | RSS