Advance Notice: Logos Ending Windows XP Support October 26, 2012

Page 21 of 23 (446 items) « First ... < Previous 19 20 21 22 23 Next >
This post has 445 Replies | 12 Followers

Posts 74
Ralph Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 15 2012 10:27 PM

fgh:
If you look a few posts above yours you will find a link stating that Photoshop will also stop supporting XP. 
 Look? ...You mean read the thread before replying? ...Preposterous !!!!

Posts 27986
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 16 2012 5:58 AM

Ernst Sibberson:
This does not make me happy. Upgrading to Win 7 from WP will cost an extreme amount of money as I'll have to upgrade several other high-end programs like Dreamweaver 8 and Photoshop CS!

Get Win 7 Pro and download XP Mode for free so you can run those expensive programs (almost) seamlessly with Win 7 software.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 1
Frank Masciulli | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 16 2012 5:33 PM

Does this mean the updates like the one I just got for bug fixes will not be available anymore for  XP versions?  And does this also means I cannot buy other books to add to my Library?

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 16 2012 5:46 PM

Bug fixes are envisioned.  Format of books may change in time, but now unforseen.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 16 2012 7:08 PM

Just another news item to fuel the fire, Google Apps dropping support for IE 8 and de facto Windows XP in November, unless another browser can be used:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/16/google-apps-to-shed-support-for-internet-explorer-8/

The move away from XP will be fast and furious in the next year since Microsoft has declared their intent. It will be all apps to be sure.

Posts 1
David Waltemyer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 16 2012 10:00 PM

it saddens my heart that you have to keep changing software.

It really gets old when software works and then all of a sudden we have to jump to somethijng else which means for some of us changing software versions, etc. which is a bigcost to some of us.

It would be so simple if people would just get something that is working and stick to it.

If there is a chance to continue getting the monthly books, that would be appreciated. I use XP.

Thank you for the notice.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 16 2012 10:34 PM

David Waltemyer:

It would be so simple if people would just get something that is working and stick to it.

If there is a chance to continue getting the monthly books, that would be appreciated. I use XP.

I know what you mean.  I haven't had any use for my buggy whip for a long time.  Wink

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2
David Joseph Sinclair | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 17 2012 1:22 AM

I AM a Logos user who remains with XP, and I don't plan to switch anytime soon.  Vista is awful and W7 does nothing I want to do that XP doesn't do - so why should I enrich Microsoft for nothing.

I am not aware of the technicalities of NET4.5 against NET4 - does it really do anything new that you want and need?  If yes then I can undertsand your desire to advance, but please don't change just for the sake of it. 

In any event PLEASE note on all future book releases whether or not they will work on the old format so that we can be aware of problems before we buy!!

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 17 2012 7:00 AM

Hi David. And welcome to the Logos forums.

XP was definitely a winner (and still is). Regarding NET, Logos4 never really crossed into Net4 due to MS issues (as I understand it). So quite a bit of customer whining (on the forum!) ran up against NET integration features that couldn't go forward.

Your suggestion on which books not XP would be good. I love the older Libronix version (and I run it on XP!). But I have to guess and use my amazing lack of memory as to which books don't have Libronix versions.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 2
David Joseph Sinclair | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 17 2012 8:46 AM

I wonder whether updates to existing books will continue to be accesible for those like me who don't plan to switch from XP anytime soon?

XP works well and I see no point in switching to enrich Microsoft at no benefit to me.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 17 2012 9:08 AM

David Joseph Sinclair:

I wonder whether updates to existing books will continue to be accesible for those like me who don't plan to switch from XP anytime soon?

XP works well and I see no point in switching to enrich Microsoft at no benefit to me.

There might be more benefit than you think.  If you install Windows 7 64 bit you can access more memory than you can with a 32 bit system.  This makes some programs function faster.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 17 2012 9:11 AM

David Joseph Sinclair:

Answer is yes, as long as the update does not use any functions that are not supported currently (remembering that Bob has clearly stated that Logos have no plans to change the format or introduce new functionality at the moment),

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 17 2012 9:18 AM

David Waltemyer:
it saddens my heart that you have to keep changing software.

Actually we don't have to keep changing software as long as we are happy with what we have. Whilst I use Logos on Windows 7 I have decided to stop at XP for Sonar (music software). Benefit is everything will carry on working like it does now. Down side is that I don't get the new features.

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 17 2012 9:51 AM

Graham Owen:
I have decided to stop at XP for Sonar (music software). Benefit is everything will carry on working like it does now. Down side is that I don't get the new features.

Just don't do what I did: I kept writing in MacWrite Pro for so long that when I finally realized I had to give it up, even the conversion tools were outdated. I'll probably end up having spent well over 100 hours before I've gotten all old files into a format I can still read, with the help of two pre OS X computers, floppies, USB stick, and multiple conversions for each file. You have no idea how much I wish I'd been more sensible.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 36
William Middleton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 17 2012 1:21 PM

All is well I have to accept that your company will move on, however-I do not accept that we have purchased packages and not all the books have been issued from over a year ago such as the catholic builders library, and I dont see a rush in production so these promised books for the collection since I do not have the money to purchase a new computer and the older not too old but older hp's did not like a upgrade for vista I am stuck not being able to accept updates which since its all obe motion new books even if it was still compatible.  Thus, I am left in the dust with out the full library.  I have been patient waiting for these additional titles and I see where patience has gotton me again.  I won't share how I feel right about now.

William

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord

Posts 36
William Middleton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 17 2012 1:28 PM

P.S. Sorry about the addition here but I am a bit aggravated.  2 years ago I was influenced by Logos to upgrade to 4.0 from a email they sent about those not upgrading to 4.0 will not be able to receive a working copy of the hebrew pronunciation that they had to develop it with the abilities built into 4.0 and once again, patience in waiting for this since its pre-release date of years and years ago.  Now, hindsight says I should not have spent on that upgrade and just stayed with logos 3.  Never did receive the hebrew pronunciation plugin as of yet. 

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord

Posts 20
Rickey Lamphere | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 17 2012 2:09 PM

I apologize to the forum. I am a user and currently still learning how to operate my Logos 4 system. The way I understood the information was it was going to cost me money to keep getting updated. Sorry for my misinterpretation.

Respectfully, Rickey Lamphere 

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 18 2012 5:40 AM

I like pie:

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 74
Ralph Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 18 2012 6:36 AM

obviously

Posts 133
Cindy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 23 2012 3:04 AM

Only a few more days till D day folks!  I'm really posting though because of something I saw in the above post that made a lot of sense.. I sure hope that all future books as will have a note on them saying whether or not they'll work for those of us who use XP.  I'd sure hate to buy a book only to discover that it didn't work on my computer.....  I'm still very sad this is happening.  It just doesn't seem right. 

Page 21 of 23 (446 items) « First ... < Previous 19 20 21 22 23 Next > | RSS