Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 32 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 212
Steven Yu | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Aug 9 2009 5:28 AM

Is there a way for us to install everything (including all the books, commentaries.... both download and cdrom order) from the web without copy the resources files from disc?

"And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free", John 8:32.
"你們必定認識真理,真理必定使你們自由", 約翰福音 8:3.

Posts 401
Timothy Ha | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 9 2009 7:22 AM

Thanks for raising this question.  It would be very convenient to be able to reinstall books and add-ins with your license backup files on another computer, without copying the files themselves.  Perhaps the ResourceAutoUpdate script could do this?

Otherwise, I have to synchronize the resource I have at home with the resources I have purchased on the road and installed on the laptop.

JesusChrist.ru - Russian Christian Portal, with free Bible software; Timh.ru - blog

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 9 2009 8:30 AM

Steven Yu:

Is there a way for us to install everything (including all the books, commentaries.... both download and cdrom order) from the web without copy the resources files from disc?

Last week my hard drive crashed. Since I had not yet used Dave Hooton's Backup & Restore for Libronix or Robocopy, or any other backup program, I lost my Logos. I had to reuild from the ground up. (Original Languages > Series X > Scholar Silver 3.0b > SS 3.0e > & so on.) I had recently switched to downloading most of my new purchases. I was able to click & download from my Logos.com account and it was very fast. I also discovered I could get some of the resources I had recieved on CD by going to the product description page and downloading the book from there. (You will still need your activation codes from the CDs.) Because the base package had to be installed by disc, it took several hours.

I think the new SD flash card Logos offers is well worth the price. http://www.logos.com/products/details/5280

My guess is that someday (Logos 4 ??) we will be able to download all resources. Meanwhile get the SD Media only card. After you have to switch discs 72 times you will wish you had. And don't wait to backup everythig wih Dave's programs.

Confused Here is one thing that baffles me: I purchased the Works of B. B. Warfield on disc from Pre-Pub. I had already restored all my licenses by lighting fast email from Logos. When I began to install Warfield I discovered the resources were already installed and accessible. Maybe I had already installed it and my senility is worse than I thought. But I wonder if Logos 3.0e DVD has the Warfield content as well as Baker NTC since both appeared without me remembering the instal procedure.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 9 2009 11:53 AM

There are over 6000 resources for download on the FTP site - probably all the Logos files, and many of the 3rd party files.  Unfortunately there are no names although a lot are fairly easy to figure out.

Rather than restoring every individual licence, it's much more convenient to synchronize with the Logos computer and restore from there. 

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 9 2009 12:00 PM

Alex Scott:

There are over 6000 resources for download on the FTP site - probably all the Logos files, and many of the 3rd party files.  Unfortunately there are no names although a lot are fairly easy to figure out.

Rather than restoring every individual licence, it's much more convenient to synchronize with the Logos computer and restore from there. 

How do you do that? And where is the FTP site?Computer

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 9 2009 12:12 PM

Alex Scott:

I think there are over 10K now, but I could be mistaken.

It would be nice if the Logos software would automatically download any resource that it has a license for, but is not currently installed. (or at least prompt you telling you that it is available for download and then giving you the choice).

Maybe this could go on the wish list for a future version of the software?

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 9 2009 1:19 PM

Donovan R. Palmer:

Alex Scott:

I think there are over 10K now, but I could be mistaken.

It would be nice if the Logos software would automatically download any resource that it has a license for, but is not currently installed. (or at least prompt you telling you that it is available for download and then giving you the choice).

Maybe this could go on the wish list for a future version of the software?

That sounds like a winner.  It could be a separate section in the Update dialogue -- "Licensed but no file."  It could then have a checkbox next to each so you could choose which, if any, to download.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2746
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 9 2009 1:40 PM

George Somsel:
That sounds like a winner.  It could be a separate section in the Update dialogue -- "Licensed but no file."  It could then have a checkbox next to each so you could choose which, if any, to download.

Good suggestion. I always thought it works this way already. Are you sure it would not offer you the title you have a license for and you do not have the file on your computer? If it is not working this way, we need it, at least in the new version.

Bohuslav

Posts 6779
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 9 2009 1:52 PM

I too have several discs that have to be copied from. To be albe to restore my lisence, download the latest version of  the books including addins from the website would be a wonderful idea.

Also how about putting everything that has been released for Libronix on one or two master discs. Say a 8 Gig sd card, and the ability to store new books that are purchased on the card. In that way everytime I purchase a new book, I install it on the computer and then back it up onto the card.

This makes it easy when installing the software for someone who has suffered a hard drive failure.

Just maybe, I can purchase Logos Platinum or whatever name they give it, via download. That way I get it as soon as it is released, rather than waiting 3/4 weeks for it to arrive in the Bahamas. They can always ship the disc or sd card via mail for backup purposes.

Lynden Williams Communications

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 9 2009 4:46 PM

FTP site is   ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/  

To synchronize your licences, (before you have a failure), go to Tools, Library Management, Synchronize Licenses.  This works well with Prepubs when they come out too rather than going through the e-mail process.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 212
Steven Yu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 9 2009 5:07 PM

Matthew C Jones:
I think the new SD flash card Logos offers is well worth the price. http://www.logos.com/products/details/5280

Does the MicroSD contain all the resource ever published using libronix system?  I have "The Essential IVP Reference Collection" and "The Word Commentary" on seprate CD, would the Micro SD cover both this resources?

As for the FTP site, are we able to download all the files and save say on a 8gb dvd, and when we restore our backup license, use the dvd contain all the ftp download to copy the licensed book over to logos?

Posts 27986
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 9 2009 6:09 PM

Steven Yu:
Does the MicroSD contain all the resource ever published using libronix system? 

No - it is a subset of the FTP site covering the base library products (up to Scholar's Gold on the 4GB card), and the FTP site itself does not provide every resource published under the Logos banner.

BTW If you have a DVD drive you should purchase the media only DVD for $5 as it offers the same products as the 4 GB SD card.

Steven Yu:
As for the FTP site, are we able to download all the files and save say on a 8gb dvd, and when we restore our backup license, use the dvd contain all the ftp download to copy the licensed book over to logos?

Why copy 8 GB from FTP when you only have 6 GB of resources. You'll end up with a lot of locked resources whilst there is no guarantee it will have all your resources!

If you backup what you have onto an 8 GB SD or USB drive you will have a better recovery experience. Check out "Backup and Restore of Libronix" in the Files forum (http://community.logos.com/forums/t/285.aspx), if only for my peace of mindStick out tongue

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 9 2009 6:23 PM

Steven Yu:

Matthew C Jones:

Does the MicroSD contain all the resource ever published using libronix system?  I have "The Essential IVP Reference Collection" and "The Word Commentary" on seprate CD, would the Micro SD cover both this resources?

I'm assuming that if it's on the ftp site then it's on the card.  I do find the WBC on the ftp site.  I'm not sure about the IVP collection.  Remember, when they update a file you will once again need to download the new version.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 9 2009 6:46 PM

Dave Hooton:

If you backup what you have onto an 8 GB SD or USB drive you will have a better recovery experience. Check out "Backup and Restore for Libronix" in the Files forum for my peace of mindStick out tongue

As often as Pre-Pubs are shipping, it would be a good practice to backup weekly on to the 8GB SD card. My primary concern is avoiding the disc changing.  That is where the installation gets bogged down. I frequently had to insert the disk twice because I had removed it after installation was complete but before resources were loaded on the hard drive.

I don't want a mirror of the whole Logos FTP site. I already have more locked resourcces on my drive than I want.  I guess it acts as an advertisement -- taunting me; "You don't have it all yet...." Devil

Posts 2746
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 9 2009 10:56 PM

Dave Hooton:
If you backup what you have onto an 8 GB SD or USB drive you will have a better recovery experience. Check out "Backup and Restore of Libronix" in the Files forum (http://community.logos.com/forums/t/285.aspx), if only for my peace of mindStick out tongue

Yes, that is the way to go. After my HDD crashes I found there is no easier way to re-install Logos but your own backup. I use Dave's Backup-Restore utility and (as a second backup) SyncBack utility (it is not free however). If you do regular license backup, than you just install Libronix from the Logos web, restore license and restore all the resources and you are done. Very easy.

By the way, how reliable are the SD cards? Is it good way to store your backup on? DVD's are not the best. External HDD is good, but you can have crash. I had a USB flash disk crash also. Is SD card more reliable?

Bohuslav

Posts 27986
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 10 2009 1:27 AM

Bohuslav Wojnar:
By the way, how reliable are the SD cards? Is it good way to store your backup on? DVD's are not the best. External HDD is good, but you can have crash. I had a USB flash disk crash also. Is SD card more reliable?

Removable flash drives (SD/USB) are very reliable if you remove them infrequently and properly (via Safely remove hardware). SD cards can remain in their slot on a notebook when it is being moved around; thus potentially safer than USB!

BTW I always recommend using the media only DVD (or the new 4 GB SD product) to restore Libronix.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 212
Steven Yu | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 10 2009 4:40 AM

Well, is time for me to reinstall Logos :-(

Just upgrade my laptop to Windows 7....

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 10 2009 12:15 PM

The ability to match my license with the missing book and download it from within Logos would be a WONDERFUL feature. 

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 212
Steven Yu | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 10 2009 3:52 PM

Ok, I got most of the item intalled, but I think I still have a few resource and plugin missing.

Where can I find all the autoupate plugin link so I can check whether I got all the plugin for logos?

Posts 271
Don | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 10 2009 4:11 PM
Try these and see if they help.

Series X autoupdate
Addins autoupdate
Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS