Working offline

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 98
J. Kane | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 5 2012 10:45 AM

Is there a way to make sure Logos does not go "on line" when launched?  I disabled auto updates but I want to configure one of the machines its on to not go on line so as to upset layouts and such. 

Reason for question:  my wife has a new computer at home and needs to access Logos from time to time for her devotions.  Since I use the program literally all day every day I don't want her to mess up a layout or something inadvertently if I am studying.

Thanks.

Posts 3519
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2012 11:31 AM

I believe if you go to settings and tell L4 not to use internet it wil accomplish this, but I could be wrong.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2012 11:37 AM

J. Kane:

Is there a way to make sure Logos does not go "on line" when launched?  I disabled auto updates but I want to configure one of the machines its on to not go on line so as to upset layouts and such. 

Reason for question:  my wife has a new computer at home and needs to access Logos from time to time for her devotions.  Since I use the program literally all day every day I don't want her to mess up a layout or something inadvertently if I am studying.

Thanks.

As Logos launches hold down the CTRL key. Then when the dialog box pops up press the "Work Offline" button.

This would be difficult to remember to do each time, Logos starts, but I'm not sure that setting "Use Internet" to "No" might be copied to your second computer. Some settings are and some aren't - I'm just not sure.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 3519
Posts 1002
LimJK | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 5 2012 7:01 PM

In the case you mentioned, working Offline, merely delays the problem.  

If she indeed messes up yours layout(s) or whatever other Logos settings, once her machines goes online (you need that from time to time to update) and sync up, you will still get messed up, may be a greater surprise.

Sorry, I just want to flag the issue to you.

JK

MacBookPro Retina 15" Late 2013 2.6GHz RAM:16GB SSD:500GB macOS Sierra 10.12.3 | iPhone 7 Plus iOS 10.2.1

Posts 3519
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 6 2012 8:22 AM

Also a good point, it's really just not how the software is designed.

Posts 3519
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 6 2012 8:23 AM

J. Kane:

Thanks.

What exactly on Logos is she needing to access?  Perhaps looking at a free online Bible might be better for doing devotions?  There are several good ones out there...Biblia?

Posts 98
J. Kane | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 11:43 AM

Thanks for the input everyone.

The computer at issue is technically our "home" computer.  When I study at home I have my own laptop - at the office I use a desktop.  Up to know she's been using my old Libronix on our home computer.

My wife leads a ladies' Bible study and so studies but not in the original languages and so on needed for preaching and such.  I was concerned that there might be a time that she opens up Logos if I happen to be studying and we'd get some kind of conflict that I don't need.

So I was just thinking...thinking of eliminating that possible contingency.

Based on the input here we'll keep the home computer Logos live and we'll just go with it.

Again:  thanks.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 12:02 PM

The easy way is through the virus-prevention software. If yours allows it, set Logos4 'No internet'. This actually works better than the internal settings, since they require a restart each time you want to indeed have Logos update or something.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 7 2012 1:31 PM

J. Kane:
I was concerned that there might be a time that she opens up Logos if I happen to be studying and we'd get some kind of conflict that I don't need.

What can happen with 2 instances of Logos4 open at the same time is note duplication. If neither one of you use notes, this shouldn't be a problem, if either of you use notes it can be a problem. This has been a problem for a while, as far as I know Logos hasn't fixed this (I could be mistaken).

If she doesn't need Logos to access the internet, I would definitely prevent Logos from accessing the internet for those times when you both use Logos simultaneously.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS