On startup logos defaults to interlinear view on all open windows

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 76
Tim Bray | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 10 2012 10:04 PM

Nothing to really earth shattering just a bit annoying for a neat freak like me ;-)

I have a default 'general study' layout with the following:

PG / EG / Favourties etc on the left

Top Bibles (ESV, NASB95 etc etc) with an interlinear view open at the bottom, in the middle  section of the layout

and a 'send targets' window open with my ESV bible on the right.

My problem is that the interlinear section (at the bottom of the bible passage) opens in the 'send target here' window no matter what I do...turn it off, save new layout with it closed etc etc...every time I open this layout there it is again...Is this just a setting or a logos quirk?

Thanks

Tim

Posts 26029
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 1:39 AM

tim bray:
.Is this just a setting or a logos quirk?

It seems like a quirk as I cannot reproduce the behaviour (using a different layout but the same bible with "Send hyperlinks here").

What version of Logos?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1002
LimJK | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 8:37 AM

tim bray:

My problem is that the interlinear section (at the bottom of the bible passage) opens in the 'send target here' window no matter what I do...turn it off, save new layout with it closed etc etc...every time I open this layout there it is again...Is this just a setting or a logos quirk?

Tim,

I am glad that you are reporting this too, see my post here sometime ago, I guess I do not know how to express it well enough to get Logos's attention in the following post.

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/52781/386336.aspx#386336

Possible work around: Try turning off ALL Interlinear Pane for both instances of your ESV, before you save your Layout.  After loading your Layout, Turn on the RVI Pane on the instance of ESV only as and when you need it.  

In my above mentioned post, I was trying to show that depending on which Panel on which Tile the RVI is last access before you save your layout you get different results when opening your Layout. If you actually have other Layouts, you will also notice that the last time when you turn on or off a particular RVI when using it, it actually affects ALL your other Layouts that has this particular RVI in an open panel too.

Hope to see it fixed.

JK

MacBookPro Retina 15" Late 2013 2.6GHz RAM:16GB SSD:500GB macOS Sierra 10.12.3 | iPhone 7 Plus iOS 10.2.1

Posts 76
Tim Bray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 11:32 AM

Thanks for the replies:

This is my version - Logos Bible Software 4.6 SR-1 (4.60.0.2993) 

@LimJK tried your work around and it works until I use it once and then reverts back to both interlinear panes open :-(

Not sure what to do from here...

Posts 1002
LimJK | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 5:09 PM

tim bray:

@LimJK tried your work around and it works until I use it once and then reverts back to both interlinear panes open :-(

Tim,

For the workaround I meant Turn Off the Interlinear Pane, each time after you use it.  If you keep it ON state it will have an impact when you open the Layout or any other Layouts in your system including your PG Bible Panel.

Another reason why I decided to keep Interlinear Pane off is ...  Assuming you are using ESV in 2 Layouts, say, one with OT passage and one with NT passage, leave your Interlinear Pane On and switch between the OT and NT Layout, and observe the Interlinear Pane. I hope Logos fix this too.

This problem was reported here:

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/51594/389034.aspx#389034

JK

MacBookPro Retina 15" Late 2013 2.6GHz RAM:16GB SSD:500GB macOS Sierra 10.12.3 | iPhone 7 Plus iOS 10.2.1

Posts 3183
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 28 2012 12:51 PM

Hi Tim,

When I attempt the repro steps I'm understanding from your description the behavior does not seem to be consistant with your experience. Let me go through what I tried. Please correct me as needed, and give detailed "What I expected" vs "what actually happened" information.

1. Opened two copies of the ESV.
  2. Gave one the "Send links here" option.
  3. OPened a search panel and did a bible search. 
  4. The Interlinear pane did not open in the targeted ESV whether the interlinear pane was open int the alternate ESV or not, and-regardless of them being chain linked or not. 

Let me know what I'm missing if anything.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 28 2012 9:34 PM

tim bray:

Logos has a tendency to remember reverse interlinear setting for a resource, which can appear in a number of places.  Also applies to font sizing and visual filter highlighting.  If want to see different sets of visual filters, need to use different resources.

Apologies: personally do not display reverse interlinear lines. am finding visual filter highlighting is more effective, which combines many searches so one word can have many highlights.  For example, Pray in Matthew 24:20 has present tense (background), imperative mood (font), middle voice (superscript image after word), and plural number (image above word: squiggly line) from four of my Logos Greek Morphology visual filters.  Several of my highlighting palettes have style names to reflect usage so can use Highlighting tool as a color code key.

In the the top two resources am highlighting verbal usage and things.  In the ESV, a right click on brown words often has a Biblical Things choice.  With verbs and things highlighted in Greek and English, can quickly compare across languages plus can see each language in context. The Greek verbal system is more expressive than English so verbal highlighting shows range of expression: e.g. Matthew 24:15-28 has nine verbs in the imperative mood, including two with negation so have seven items to do plus two items to avoid.  The Lexham Discourse Greek New Testament (LDGNT) also includes tagging to emphasize words that are not in expected order (have been moved for emphasis, which has a visual filter with image below):

The bottom two resources has more Logos Greek Morphology visual filtering turned on along with displaying Louw-Nida numbers for Greek words.  Hovering over a Louw-Nida number shows a pop-up with contextual range of meaning.

WIki has => Examples of visual filters with screen shots showing visual filters, which use reverse interlinear tagging.  Personally wish for way to share visual filters and highlighting palettes.

Caution: English is not Greek, both are not Hebrew.  Proper names tend to have a one to one correspondence between languages while other words have range of meaning nuances.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 76
Tim Bray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 29 2012 10:25 AM

Thanks for that everyone...was using the visual filters before buy upon seeing yours have expanded my palette to include a few other things...thanks heaps for all your help.

Tim Smile

Posts 501
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 2 2012 4:09 AM

LimJK:
For the workaround I meant Turn Off the Interlinear Pane, each time after you use it.  If you keep it ON state it will have an impact when you open the Layout or any other Layouts in your system including your PG Bible Panel.

LimJK, thanks for that tip.  I was getting a bit frustrated with the interlinear showing each time I started L4 (4.6 SR-2), having to click it closed on two ESV panes each time I started Logos before getting down to any work.  But I had a third ESV pane that was not shown, yet it had the interlinear active in it.  Each pane of the same resource defaults to showing the interlinear if even one pane had it active on the last layout.  It seems to assign the interlinear status on a resource basis, not a pane or tab basis.  Now that none are active when I shut down, none show up when I start L4 again. :)

Posts 45
Darren Loechel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 26 2013 7:40 PM

I am running Logos 5.1b and still have issues with the interlinear opening when I restart Logos. I only use this rarely, so it is annoying having to turn it off all the time. I typically have 2 copies each of the ESV and NIV open, along with UBS4 and multiple other Gk helps. I couldn't find anything in the Options panel to control this. Any ideas?

Posts 501
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 27 2013 1:27 AM

Hi Darren,

Since you have 2 panes of the ESV and NIV open, I suggest that the solution to my similar problem might help. 

John Duffy:
Each pane of the same resource defaults to showing the interlinear if even one pane had it active on the last layout.  It seems to assign the interlinear status on a resource basis, not a pane or tab basis.

If you check the other ESV or NIV panes and ensure that the interlinear is not active in any of them, I think you might find that it doesn't reappear when you next startup L5.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS