Logos4.exe v4.6 SR1 shown as malware by Avast

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 1
Shelby Cooper | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 11 2012 5:44 AM

This morning when starting Logos, it was reported by Avast as "Threat: Win32:Malware-gen"  and moved to the Virus Chest.  I have sent a report to Avast indicating false positive.  Has anyone else seen this?  I recently upgraded to Logos v4.6 SR1 and this was "caught" by Avast after virus definition updates this morning.

Regards,

Shelby Cooper

Posts 12
Joseph Bella | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 6:11 AM

I also received the false positive by Avast.  I went into the file system shield and excluded the following path: C:\Users\Pastor Joe\AppData\Local\Logos4.  This is a temporary fix until Avast takes care of this.

Joe

Posts 10
Karen Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 6:27 AM

Likewise...when I tried to run Logos, Avast prevented it and moved it to the Virus Chest. My concern is whether there has been a Win32Malware-gen infection or not. I ran a quick scan with MalwareBytes but found no infection, and will also run a full scan. While running the scan, Avast identified and moved a second file to the VirusChest, unp11707241.tmp. I'm not sure what that is, but not being an executable, I guess I wouldn't worry about it.

The page at the following link has a good amount of info about this.

http://www.im-infected.com/trojan/win32malware-gen.html

Any thoughts on whether it's safe to override and use Logos....that is, is it really a false positive?

Thanks!

Karen's Hubby

Posts 3297
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 6:33 AM

I haven't seen this with Avast, but BSecure logs Proclaim as Malware.

McAfee said LOGOS was performing risky operations.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 10
Karen Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 8:02 AM

Looks like it's a pretty common issue this morning as tech support is getting lots of calls on it. They worked me through it by essentially doing what Pastor Joe said - excluded the Logos 4 folder, DLed the install MSI file and did a fix on the installation. Worked great!

Karen's Hubby

Posts 1
Daniel Barkley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 8:27 AM

I also have Avast and it is doing the same thing to me. I tried unistalling/reinstalling Logos to my computer but it came up with the same malware warning.

I am not smart enough to be able to send a false positive report I guess, because it is saying I am not putting in the right information.

I can't open the program, and it took away any shortcuts to the program off of my computer.

I have no idea what to do

Help!!

Daniel

Posts 1
Kevin Beard | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 8:31 AM

So is this a genuine infection or just a false positive by Avast?

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 8:34 AM

Joseph Bella:

I also received the false positive by Avast.  I went into the file system shield and excluded the following path: C:\Users\Pastor Joe\AppData\Local\Logos4.  This is a temporary fix until Avast takes care of this.

Joe

I worked out the following step by step procedure a while back to try to keep Avast from using realtime scanning on the Logos folders while I was using them. I thought this might increase performance. I don't know if it did or not, but it essentially does what you suggest.

Here's the procedure:

You can tell Avast to ignore the Logos4 files when it does Real Time scanning by doing the following:

1.    Open the Avast! user interface
2.    Click on the  "Real-Time Shields" tab button (on the left).
3.    Click on "File System Shields" (in the circle, or in the column of options on the left).
4.    Click on the "Expert Settings" button (on the right, below the "Start" and "Stop" buttons.
5.    Enter your password in the authorization check to continue.
6.    In the window that opens click on "Exclusions" (in the column of options on the left)
7.    Click the "Add" button and enter "C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Logos4\*" (or your path to the Logos4 directory)

This will disable real time scanning anywhere in the Logos4 directory and all sub-directories. If you're concerned about monitoring possible corruption in the L4 program, you could enter individual directories to scan (e.g., Logos4\Documents\*; Loogs4\System\*; Logos4\Users\*; Logos4\Shared\*; Loogs4\Data\*; and any others you don't feel need monitoring). The advantage of disabling scanning in the entire Logos4 directory structure it's simpler to enter the data and it will keep Avast! from slowing down any aspect of L4 operation.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 2
Ken & Dana Vermilya | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 9:12 AM

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

I had the same thing happen this morning w/Avast.  I submitted a false positive report to Avast and let Avast know that I know Logos is NOT malware, but that my concern is if my Logos has been infected.

Ken V.

Posts 84
rksaw | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 9:13 AM

Is there any way to restore the Logos4.exe file from the "chest"?  (Man, sometimes this is so frustrating; but I am encouraged that so many love God's word - and Logos - and "live & breathe" using this software.)

God bless, Richard

Posts 84
rksaw | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 9:18 AM

Is there any way to restore the Logos4.exe file from the Avast "Chest"?

On a separate note, it is great to see just how many people are addicted to God's word via Logos!

God bless, Richard

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 9:27 AM

rksaw:
Is there any way to restore the Logos4.exe file from the "chest"?

I believe you can do it, though I've never actually tried.

In the Avast User Interface, click "Maintenance" > "Virus Chest" then right-click on the file and choose "Restore." Not sure if other steps are required after that, though I suspect you'll need to put in your Avast password to proceed.

Posts 2
Ken & Dana Vermilya | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 9:29 AM

Daniel,

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

Please do submit a false positive report which is done in the following manner:

1.)  Click-on “MAINTENANCE” on the left side.

2.)  Just below “MAINTENANCE,” select “Virus Chest.”

3.)  Find “Logos4.exe” and then right-click on that line which will bring up a sub-menu; select (w/a left click) the “Submit to virus lab...” option.

4.)  In the “Type:” drop down box select “False positive”

5.)  In the next three boxes

Logos

Logos Bible Software

6.)  Be sure to check the “The program come from a trusted source” box.

7.)  Recommend that in the “Additional info:” box you put something to the effect of:

“Since I know that the Logos program (see www.Logos.com) is not malware, my concern is if Logos has been infected; otherwise, this is a false positive.  Please reply ASAP as to whether or not my Logos program has been infected.” 

8.)  Second to the last step is that one must check the “I know what I’m doing” box which by this point you do (unless you believe any of this posting is incorrect).  Note if is box is not check then the report cannot be submitted.

Ken V.

Posts 84
rksaw | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 9:30 AM

THANK YOU!!!  And sorry for the double post.

RIchard

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 9:34 AM

Ken & Dana Vermilya:
Please do submit a false positive report which is done in the following manner:

Thanks for the step-by-step, Ken. I remembered doing this a couple of years ago, but didn't remember the procedure.

Posts 109
Larry Heflin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 10:34 AM

Got me too. I submitted a false report. I did the right click - restore from the virus chest, tried to load Logos, got another malware report. Tried turning off Avast. Windows reports it can't find Logos. I'll keep trying. 

Posts 84
rksaw | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 11:44 AM

Larry,

Did you edit the "Exclusions" like Richard DeRuiter suggested earlier in this thread?

I hope that you get it fixed,

(Another) Richard

Posts 277
Ergatees | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 11:44 AM

I wished I had read all this before I spent two hours scanning my computer after Avast 5 told me Logos4 was a threat and to move it to the Virus Chest. The Support Column on our web pages gave me the solution and I followed it to the letter and everything is now fine.

Thanks to all those who mentioned this...and to support!

Ergatees

Posts 1993
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 12:02 PM

This has come up in the past. My instructions for fixing the problem would be slightly different:

1) Download Microsoft Security Essentials. I think the latest version is 4.0.##.
2) Disconnect your computer from the internet.
3) Uninstall Avast.
4) Install MSE.
5) Reconnect your computer to the internet.
6) Allow MSE to update to the latest virus signatures.

Big Smile

Donnie

Posts 1
Ronald Owens | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 12:27 PM

Adding the exclusion worked for me too. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS