Hebrew search

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 23
Jeremiah Ketchum | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 11 2012 6:44 AM

Could someone help my Logos illiteracy? I am trying to search for other occurances of the Hebrew phrase קָהָ֣ל וְעֵדָֽה (found in Prov 5:14). I have tried and tried the forums but with no success. How do you search for two Hebrew (or Greek) words to see if they occur together elseware?

Posts 25211
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 7:01 AM

Hi Jeremiah

Do you actually want the exact phrase or are you looking for similar words?

If the exact phrase, then you can select the two words, right click and search the open resource for other occurrences (as far as I can see this is the only occurence of this phrase)

If you want more control and flexibility then you need to look at some of the Boolean and proximity operators so you can search for one word NEAR another (for example). See http://wiki.logos.com/Detailed_Search_Help#Using_Boolean_Operators for more details

Hope this helps - apologies if I have misunderstood what you are trying to do

Graham

Posts 2459
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 7:03 AM

<Lemma = af/he/קהל:2> NEAR <Lemma = af/he/עדה:3>

yields 3 results in a Bible search of AFAT

I right clicked on קהל and selected the lemma  then "search this resource"

I right clicked on עדה and did the same

I then copied and pasted  <Lemma = af/he/עדה:3> from the 2nd search window into the search parameters of the first search window separated by NEAR

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 2459
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 7:07 AM

If you enter the same parameters in a Morph search you can view the way the words are rendered in an English Bible.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 23
Jeremiah Ketchum | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 8:34 AM

Thank you David, that answers my question!

Posts 912
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 8:36 AM

This exact phrase does not occur again in either the Hebrew Bible, the DSS, or the preserved Hebrew portions of Sirach. As demonstrated above the two words comprising the phrase occur twice again in a construct phrase (word pairs are often part of a construct phrase). However, Logos does have its shortcomings. If you want to see the full picture you have to see the intersection of the root קהל and the root יעד. You can either use a printed concordance ordered by roots such as Mandelkern, or a competitor of Logos. To save you the hassle, were you to search the Hebrew bible for the occurrence of these two roots in the same verse you would have gotten the following results:

Ex 12:6; 35:1; Lev 4:13–14; 8:3–4; 16:17, 33; Num 1:18; 8:9; 14:5; 16:3, 19; 17:7; 20:2, 6, 8; Josh 18:1; 22:12; Judg 20:1; 2 Chr 1:3; Prov 5:14. 

Posts 2459
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 10:52 AM

Jeremiah Ketchum:

Thank you David, that answers my question!

I am glad to help. I just learned the trick of specifying the lemma last week from another forum thread. Freely I have received, freely I give.

Posts 2459
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 11 2012 10:57 AM

Here is the link to the other forum thread if you want to glean the logic and the tricks behind lemma searching.

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/53586/391526.aspx#391526

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS