Theology/Denomination Tags

Page 23 of 30 (593 items) « First ... < Previous 21 22 23 24 25 Next > ... Last »
This post has 592 Replies | 39 Followers

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 8 2014 4:22 AM

Dr. Charles A. Wootten:

Just a note to remind everyone to double check the spelling of the Bible books. I just found misspellings in Pauline Prison Epistles, Pauline Epistles, and a couple others with respect to Colossians and Philippians (and probably others). I found the errors when updating my Romans collection from a recent purchase.

God bless

{charley}

If you're speaking in reference to the thread, then Andrew double checks things before they go live.

If you're speaking of the live product, only Andrew (whom we haven't seen in three months) can adjust them.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 1:12 PM

abondservant:

Also Dennis Gordon Lindsay is pentecostal/Charismatic. You may click the link and think "why am I on the page for CFNI"? DGL is president of CFNI, and his father founded it. He himself is careful not to mention a denominational affiliation, but his school in their code of moral conduct refers to the school as having "Pentecostal, charismatic and evangelical roots".

Apologies for the long absence.  I've added Dennis Gordon Lindsay and will publish the updates in the next 24 hours or so.

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 1:13 PM

abondservant:

James D. Berkley a Presbyterian

Added.  Thanks.

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 1:25 PM

abondservant:

New Southern Baptist Subcategory. Its important and influential. Even today its considered when the baptist faith and message is updated.

Landmarkism was a subset of the SBC that came about as a response to the Stone-Campbell movement.

Citing Dr. Nathan Finn (professor of baptist history at SEBTS), the following groups and individuals are current/past authors tied to landmarkism. I can email you an excerpt from the notes, but I'm not allowed to post them publicly.

Proto-Landmark: Benjamin Keach, Thomas Crosby, Andrew Fuller (these three are english baptists), Isaac Backus, Jesse Mercer, (both Americans).

Landmarkists: J.M. Carroll, J.R. Graves, Paige Patterson (much of his writtings were, and he had this as a requirement for employment at the seminaries he led for a time, this position he has since largely backed away from), G. H. Orchard, J. M. Cramp, William Cathcart, Adam Taylor and D. B. Ray, Ben M. Bogard, J. M. Pendleton, A. C. Dayton, much of the publications of the Baptist Bible Board (led by Dayton, and pre-curser to the Baptist Sunday School Board, now lifeway), William H. Whitsitt (who later in life rejected aspects of landmarkism), American Baptists. 

A key component of this is Baptist Successionism - the linked wiki article names most of these people. Landmarkism Wiki page lists two names. But as I said, most are in the notes packet from my prof, that I can't post to the internet (though I will email a short excerpt for this purposes to Andrew if he wants).

Had to reinstall windows on my PC, and seem to have lost my excell spreadsheet with the names of the signers of the CSBI, will reproduce it as I can. 

Thanks, abondservant.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baptist_successionism, "It is now identified primarily with Landmarkism, though not exclusively so."  By this I understand that they are not the same and would need separate categories.  If you have very clear lists of authors available in Logos for each (e.g. Is J M Carroll a Logos author?), and the lists are of a reasonable length, preferably with evidence that can be checked on the web, then I can add them to the spreadsheet.  The Landmarkists should be people who definitely were not in, or withdrew from, the SBC and were in an independent tradition.

Hope that's clear and helpful.  I'm grateful for the work you put into this, abondservant.

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 1:30 PM

abondservant:

Another Subset of the SBC.

Anti-Missions Baptists (more accurately Anti-Mission Society, but that isn't what history calls them).
John Leland, John Taylor, Daniel Parker, Two Seed in the Spirit Predestinarian Baptists (now Primitive Baptists - who I should add are calvinist),  Alexander Campbell (who went on to form his own denomination subsequent to his involvement with Baptists),

Are these Logos authors, abondservant?  I couldn't find John Leland and Daniel Parker at www.logos.com.

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 1:32 PM

abondservant:

John D. Barry Faithlife Author was the president of a Reformed church. I found his faithlife profile, followed the link to the churches page, and then found the denomination. However, I asked him specifically what denomination he's a part of, and what he said is in the third image.

I've added John D. Barry.  The classification seems accurate, but if he asks me to remove him, I will.

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 1:34 PM

Dr. Charles A. Wootten:

Just a note to remind everyone to double check the spelling of the Bible books. I just found misspellings in Pauline Prison Epistles, Pauline Epistles, and a couple others with respect to Colossians and Philippians (and probably others). I found the errors when updating my Romans collection from a recent purchase.

God bless

{charley}

I'm not sure whether this is a criticism of anything in this project, Charley.  If so, please could you be more specific and I'll be sure to make the corrections?  Thanks for the input.

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 1:39 PM

abondservant:

Assemblies of God should be added to Believers Baptism (Immersion).

http://www.ag.org/pentecostal-evangel/Articles2002/foundational_five.cfm

Evangelical Free Church as well.

Thanks again, abondservant.  I think both of these are already listed as Believers Baptism.  There isn't yet a category for Full Immersion only.  As always, if it's worth a new category, I could add one.  Please provide details.

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 1:49 PM

Andrew Baguley:

abondservant:

Thanks again, abondservant.  I think both of these are already listed as Believers Baptism.  There isn't yet a category for Full Immersion only.  As always, if it's worth a new category, I could add one.  Please provide details.

I wouldn't have mentioned it if I hadn't seen an evfree, and AOG author that was falling through the cracks :). As to who? I can't remember now. I just took it to mean none of them were.

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 2:26 PM

abondservant:

Andrew Baguley:

abondservant:

I wouldn't have mentioned it if I hadn't seen an evfree, and AOG author that was falling through the cracks :). As to who? I can't remember now. I just took it to mean none of them were.

Are you remembering that this is now done by denomination?  The relevant collection is now called "Church Theology: Believers Baptism".  There were just too many individual authors for Excel to cope with otherwise (see https://community.logos.com/forums/p/54491/613856.aspx#613856).

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 9 2014 2:35 PM

The latest edition of the spreadsheet is: 5466.Denominations and Theology 09 November 2014.zip

The reference guide is here: 1641.Theology and Denomination Tag Reference.doc

Sadly, there has been little time for me to add many new authors from my own research, but I think I have added all of the suggestions so far from crowdsourcing.  Feel free to make suggestions, corrections, etc. and I'll try to add them as soon as I can.  Thanks to Logos and Ray Deck III for mentioning us on the blog again (https://blog.logos.com/2014/11/4-faithlife-groups-you-should-join-today/).  The Faithlife Group (https://faithlife.com/logos-library-theology-denomination-tags/about) is now up to 835 members.

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 10 2014 4:55 AM

Another School to add to your list.

Burk Parson author of: John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine, and Doxology
Is a graduate of Trinity College of Florida. Founded by the C&MA they are officially non-denominational. Much if not all of the administration are Christian and Missionary Alliance. Most of the teachers are from a broad range of charismatic, and cessationistic churches, from arminians to amyraldians, to reformed baptists, to (only one adjunct) Presbyterian.

Their most notable alum is Billy Graham back when their name was the "Florida Bible Institute".

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 10 2014 5:16 AM

Andrew Baguley:

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baptist_successionism, "It is now identified primarily with Landmarkism, though not exclusively so."  By this I understand that they are not the same and would need separate categories.  If you have very clear lists of authors available in Logos for each (e.g. Is J M Carroll a Logos author?), and the lists are of a reasonable length, preferably with evidence that can be checked on the web, then I can add them to the spreadsheet.  The Landmarkists should be people who definitely were not in, or withdrew from, the SBC and were in an independent tradition.

Hope that's clear and helpful.  I'm grateful for the work you put into this, abondservant.

As I understand it, Baptist successionism sprung out of Landmarkism, it may have grown beyond that. In any case the authors on the Baptist Successionism page are also in my professors notes as Landmarkers. Landmarkers were a subset of the SBC, some withdrew. The SBC may be worth being a denom stream of its own as there have been many spin offs and new denominations seeded by internal controversy.

As logos expands its baptist coverage a number of these authors are coming into pre-pub and CP. I will determine just exactly who is and isn't. Though I think all of them ought to be included to save from having to re-trace our steps later. I understand if thats outside the scope.

Posts 5
David Menton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 2:25 PM

Perhaps denominational designations are not as useful as they once were given the broad spectrum of beliefs within denominations. For example, as a conservative Lutheran, I am theologically closer to a conservative Baptist than I am to a liberal Lutheran. Maybe just tag resources as being conservative or liberal.

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 12 2014 2:29 PM

David Menton:

Perhaps denominational designations are not as useful as they once were given the broad spectrum of beliefs within denominations. For example, as a conservative Lutheran, I am theologically closer to a conservative Baptist than I am to a liberal Lutheran. Maybe just tag resources as being conservative or liberal.

The problem is that who I (as a reformed baptist) see as liberal is going to be different than who a campbelite sees as liberal, will be different than who you see as liberal, and a Presbyterian may think were all liberal. 

Conservative seems to be the term one uses to describe their own position, liberal - the people to ones left, and fundamentalists are possibly more conservative still. 

Posts 286
Dr. Charles A. Wootten | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 13 2014 5:48 AM

Andrew Baguley:

Dr. Charles A. Wootten:

I just found misspellings in Pauline Prison Epistles, Pauline Epistles, and a couple others with respect to Colossians and Philippians (and probably others).

I'm not sure whether this is a criticism of anything in this project, Charley.  If so, please could you be more specific and I'll be sure to make the corrections?  Thanks for the input.

As you see I only drop by once in awhile. My comment is NOT a negative criticism. If olny my tpinyg was good... heheh. Going through "mytags" at my site recently I found my own typos, so I cannot "cast the first stone." Other than the generalities I posted above I cannot recall specifically the others but Pauline Prison Epistles collection and Pauline Epistles collection had those two proper nouns misspelled. They may have been corrected by now.

God bless

{charley}

running Logos Bible Software 6.0a: Collector's Edition on HP e9220y (AMD Phenom II X4 2.60GHz 8.00GB 64-bit Win 7 Pro SP1) & iPad (mini) apps.

Posts 4138
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 13 2014 5:51 AM

Dr. Charles A. Wootten:

Andrew Baguley:

Dr. Charles A. Wootten:

I just found misspellings in Pauline Prison Epistles, Pauline Epistles, and a couple others with respect to Colossians and Philippians (and probably others).

As you see I only drop by once in awhile. My comment is NOT a negative criticism. If olny my tpinyg was good... heheh. Going through "mytags" at my site recently I found my own typos, so I cannot "cast the first stone." Other than the generalities I posted above I cannot recall specifically the others but Pauline Prison Epistles collection and Pauline Epistles collection had those two proper nouns misspelled. They may have been corrected by now.

God bless

{charley}

Thanks Charley - but I am not sure you got those collections from this project :)

We focus on Theology, denominational, and meta-denominational groupings. Your commentary collections must have come from another project. 

Blessings!

Posts 34
James W Uhlmann | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 16 2014 6:49 PM

If I understand Dr Wootten's question correctly, the way to deal with typos is to Highlight the offending sentence/passage, Right Click on it, when the window opens scroll down in the search panel to find Report Typo, Click on that. A new window opens showing the offending passage, make the needed changes in the second version of the passage and explain your change if that is necessary. Submit your Typo correction.

You will get an automatic response.

Changes are logged and dealt with when there is enough to justify an update of the book. 

Posts 3062
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 16 2014 8:48 PM

David Menton:

Howdy, Dr. Menton!

I don't know if you remember me...I used to be the Division Chair for Natural Sciences at Missouri Baptist University back in the '90s. I appeared on a few panels with you on Creationism issues.  Glad to see you here!!  I have no idea how to send IMs on this thing, or I would.

Hope to visit with you soon!

(J. B. Boren)

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 791
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 16 2014 9:38 PM

Andrew Baguley:

The latest edition of the spreadsheet is: 5466.Denominations and Theology 09 November 2014.zip

The reference guide is here: 1641.Theology and Denomination Tag Reference.doc

Sadly, there has been little time for me to add many new authors from my own research, but I think I have added all of the suggestions so far from crowdsourcing.  Feel free to make suggestions, corrections, etc. and I'll try to add them as soon as I can.  Thanks to Logos and Ray Deck III for mentioning us on the blog again (https://blog.logos.com/2014/11/4-faithlife-groups-you-should-join-today/).  The Faithlife Group (https://faithlife.com/logos-library-theology-denomination-tags/about) is now up to 835 members.

Hey thanks for that. That might come in handy one day.

Page 23 of 30 (593 items) « First ... < Previous 21 22 23 24 25 Next > ... Last » | RSS