Annoyance: Logos4Setup.exe gets put in new folder each time instead of overwriting old one

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 19314
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 14 2012 4:52 PM

Every time there is a new update of Logos, my firewall software (AVG) asks for confirmation to allow "Logos Bible Software 4 Setup" to access the Internet. This is in spite of the fact that every time I select "Save my answer as a permanent rule, and do not ask me next time."

This is because the full path to the installer changes every time. There's a new numbered folder created in LOGOS4\DATA\{random}\UPDATEMANAGER\INSTALLERS where LOGOS4SETUP.EXE is placed.

There's no reason I'd ever need to rerun an old version of LOGOS4SETUP.EXE, so why keep all these old ones around? Why not just overwrite the last installer with the new one?

The current method means I have to accumulate a new rule in my firewall for each new version of the installer, and I can never permanently mark it not to ask me next time whether it can allow Logos4Setup.exe to access the Internet. And none of these old rules will ever be referenced again, so they are pointless.

EDIT: Clarification - My firewall software happens to be AVG, and I gave detailed description of how I interact with it, but that wasn't the point. The same issue could happen with any firewall software that lets you make rules for what programs are safe that you don't have to confirm access to the Internet with each time. And how that is done is immaterial. So disregard all the pretty graphics above. The point of the problem I was describing was that LOGOS puts the installer in a new folder each time, which doesn't seem necessary to me and makes it impossible for firewall rules to work. Any firewall that uses rules, not just AVG. I haven't tried it with other ones but I suspect there would be similar issues.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 14 2012 4:55 PM

Sorry can't help ya much, I do not use avg either. Maybe if you could delete all the other instances recorded this might help..../?

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 19314
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 14 2012 4:58 PM

Room4more:

Sorry can't help ya much, I do not use avg either.

Doesn't matter whether it's AVG or whatever. My point was, when one has any firewall software that asks for confirmation and allows you to set up rules so you don't have to give that permission every time (which is how a lot of them work), this is always going to be a problem unless Logos changes their behavior. It was more of a bug/criticism than a plea for help with a workaround. My workaround is I just click to confirm every time I update Logos. It's annoying but it isn't going to kill me. I don't believe there is any other workaround. I have edited my subject line and put in a clarification at the bottom of my post.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 14 2012 5:07 PM

but I do not have that problem, and I use one of the 'whatever'. Mine has never asked for continued 'confirmation' once i applied the rules.

Posts 67
LogosEmployee
Bryan Albert | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 14 2012 6:46 PM

Rosie,

Logos 4 Setup shouldn't be connecting to the Internet in this mode... it's certainly not downloading anything, since Logos 4 has already downloaded everything it needs before launching Logos 4 Setup. Just in case, could you please post the logos4setup.log file? I'll be looking into it. 

Thanks,

Bryan

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 15 2012 4:12 AM

I ckecked my firewall protector/watcher/list enabler, and I only have one listing for Logos.

I also checked the directed folder you directed to, Rosie, and I only have two listings, one old and the newest one. It may be that there is an algorythmic flaw in the firewall software that is creating this issue. But I do not run AVG, so it is just a speculation.......

R4m

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS