Logos and Catholic publishers - what to expect?

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 29 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 32167
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 20 2012 12:30 PM

Andrew Jones:
The digital versions of public domain texts are not themselves in the public domain.

Thank you for confirming what people won't believe when I say it.Wink Now will you get in touch with Peter Kirby & Roger Pearse - they have some nice electronic public domain documents: see http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/   http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/fathers/index.html   http://www.earlyjewishwritings.com/

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 297
Hapax Legomena | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 20 2012 1:23 PM

Andrew Jones:

The digital versions of public domain texts are not themselves in the public domain. So, for example, the texts on corpusthomisticum.org are copyrighted by them. The complete works of Thomas Aquinas would be great and it is on my list of projects-- but I'm afraid even public domain projects are more complicated than they might seem.

So were the works in the "Perseus Collection."  If you ask nicely, though, they may give you a license for free or for little cost.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 20 2012 2:48 PM

Sleiman:
what specific Catholic resources of particular interest are most in demand by the user base and how is it determined?

I would hope the main input comes from the Suggestions forum and e-mails to suggest@logos.com and Andrew himself, as well as feed back during phone calls and when they're out meeting people. Though no doubt Andrew's and publishers' knowledge about what's good and what's sold well on paper also plays a role. And until the Catholic user base has become a bit larger, I would imagine they also take into account the possible Protestant interest.

I think that, product wise, Andrew's focus for his first year has mainly been to get those very basic and essential Catholic resources that Logos should have produced long ago: the Catechism, the Missal, the CCL, various papal documents, some Catholic commentaries, the most classic Catholic writers, some of the most important modern theologians, and so on.

As one who was here when he started, and saw the 'most urgent' lists we poured over him, I can say that almost everything on them is now released or in production. The exceptions that immediately come to mind would be Sacra Pagina, Berit Olam, the Sentences and the Glossa Ordinaria. Given that Sacra Pagina has been asked for by many Protestants as well, and given that Andrew is himself a medieval historian, I can only assume there are (or have been) 'issues' of some kind, but I would still hope to see them in a not too distant future, unless the publisher makes it impossible.

As he works his way down the lists through the less urgent but still much wished for resources, I would also expect to see more of the most important 20th century theologians. de Lubac is probably the one that's been most asked for, at least on the forums, but there are many others, of course. I imagine a few more of the authors that have endorsed Logos will also show up. Plus a steady flow of Patristic and Medieval writers.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 20 2012 6:25 PM

Not to start a new list, but the Catholic offering begs to have the revised New Jerome Biblical Commentary, a lot more Raymond Brown works, and the first Pope Benedict Jesus of Nazareth book (and more Joseph Ratzinger publications) if we are going to focus on 20th century Catholic scholarly work!!!

Posts 32167
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 20 2012 6:37 PM

Dominick Sela:
if we are going to focus on 20th century Catholic scholarly work!!!

But I LIKE the medieval commentaries on the Bible ... do I have to focus on the 20th century?Crying I want (no NEED) the TEAM publications.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 99
john joyce | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 20 2012 11:57 PM

Dominick Sela:

Not to start a new list, but the Catholic offering begs to have the revised New Jerome Biblical Commentary, a lot more Raymond Brown works, and the first Pope Benedict Jesus of Nazareth book (and more Joseph Ratzinger publications) if we are going to focus on 20th century Catholic scholarly work!!!

YesYesYes

Posts 11718
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2012 1:02 AM

john joyce:

Dominick Sela:

YesYesYes

As an evangelical with lots of the Catholic offering in my library: Yes  Yes  Yes as well for "Jesus of Nazareth" Vol 1 and the other stuff. And - a bit more lighthearted, but surely on strategy given Logos' focus on apps and broadening the user base into the less bibliomaniac areas of society- : YouCat! 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2012 9:42 AM

fgh:
Given that Sacra Pagina has been asked for by many Protestants as well, and given that Andrew is himself a medieval historian, I can only assume there are (or have been) 'issues' of some kind, but I would still hope to see them in a not too distant future, unless the publisher makes it impossible.

This goes into the heart of the matter. The exact reasons things get delayed won't probably be known (although we can speculate) but it seems to me that this not only applies to Sacra Pagina but to perhaps all the other similarly needed resources in one way or another. Hence my initial question about whether there's a sense of, perhaps, refocusing on the part of the Catholic team at Logos to target more realistic goals first, or maybe I'm just not being patient.

As of now, about 75% of the prepub offerings are classified as Catholic! Partly because of the recent flood of publications from Pauline. Beer Here's to hoping that the other major publishers that are sorely needed get on board as well.

Posts 670
Sleiman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2012 9:49 AM

MJ. Smith:
Now will you get in touch with Peter Kirby & Roger Pearse -

oh yes please :)

Posts 1795
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2012 10:38 AM

YesYes

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS