Best Video Card Capable of 3 Outputs

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 27
Randy Allen | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 18 2012 1:31 PM

As of yet I have not completely given up on my USB video card, but I want to start researching a new card.

I have a PCIe slot for the video card with no room to simply add a 2nd video card.

What is the best option that has been proven to work with Proclaim for a video card with 3 outputs?

Posts 1996
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 18 2012 8:06 PM

I know you said that you have no room to add a second video card, but do you mean just via a pci-e slot?  Is it possible that you could add one via a pci slot?  If so, you could run your 3rd card off of that.  It may be that you don't have any slots, and if that is the case, then I would search around at Newegg.com and read the reviews.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 27
Randy Allen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 19 2012 7:00 AM

Thanks Joseph - no, there is no place in the computer. I cracked it open because it looked like there was an open space on the outside, but no pci slot there.  There are no available/open slots at all. 
I even looked the model up, and that was one of the constant complaints.  Oh well.

I think I found a card - the biggest issue is that some just say "Multiple Monitors" while others say how many they support.  Finding one that supports 3+ was tricky. 

Posts 27
Randy Allen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 20 2012 7:50 PM

BEWARE!  

Just because TigerDirect says it supports 3 monitors does not mean that it does!

Back to the search!

Posts 1996
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2012 3:34 AM

Did you look at Newegg.com?  That is where I go for all computer builds/upgrades.  To Tiger Direct's defence though, it may have been the way the right up was from the manufacturer that caused the problem.  I always read the reviews to get the information that I need.  I hate that you had a set-back!

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1729
LogosEmployee
Hunter Clagett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 22 2012 1:59 PM

I would take a look at the number of available ports on the video card. Typically, the ports are one-to-one to the number of monitors available for that card.

Hope that helps,

- Hunter Clagett

Logos 4 Bug Report - Mac | PC

Proclaim - Mac/PC

Posts 27
Randy Allen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 24 2012 2:13 PM

I wish that were the case Hunter. The card I have, and the card I bought both have 3 ports, but are only capable of 2 outputs at a time.

Posts 194
Allen Petersen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 25 2012 9:21 AM

I believe it is a physical limitation of the Nvidia GPUs that they can only support a maximum of two simultaneous outputs. I have not tested this, but the ATI technology "Eyefinity" allows up to 6 monitor outputs per video card. I see a number of Radeon cards on the market with Eyefinity support with 3-4 monitor outputs. This might be something to try.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/amd-eyefinity-technology/for-consumers/Pages/what-is-eyefinity.aspx

Posts 1729
LogosEmployee
Hunter Clagett | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 25 2012 9:26 AM

Randy Allen:

I wish that were the case Hunter. The card I have, and the card I bought both have 3 ports, but are only capable of 2 outputs at a time.

Ah I see. I did not anticipate that. I would follow Allen's advice.

- Hunter Clagett

Logos 4 Bug Report - Mac | PC

Proclaim - Mac/PC

Posts 390
Alain Maashe | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 25 2012 1:15 PM

I have a Sapphire ATI Radeon 5870 attached to three  24 inch monitors. The card supports 2 DVI output, one HDMI and one Display-port.

If you do not have a display port monitor, you will need a Display port to DVI adapter (it must be an active not passive adapter). Amazon has this model that I boughtfor $30 (Accell B087B-005B). The HDMI cannot be used as the same time as one of the DVI input that is why you need the adapter even if your monitors support HDMI

You could get a newer generation of ATI Radeon HD like the Radeon HD 7700 for $ 130-140 on sites like Newegg.com or wait for sales leading to black Friday and get it even cheaper.

Just keep in mind that not all Radeon HD have two DVI ports. it varies by brands and you will need to verify the type of outputs before buying a card.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS