Computer Jargon

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 5
Nick Goins | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 21 2009 9:12 PM

Does anyone know a good book for improving my knowledge on computers? I am trying to follow some of these posts with the PBB and other acronyms but can't.  I was straight hard copy, but my wife is frowning upon my bookshelf so I am trying to convert to computer software but feel lost.  I probably need a dummy or blockhead book. Please help but be gentle on the mocking.  Thanks.

Posts 3846
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 21 2009 9:21 PM

I do not know what resources you have available, but you might check with your local library.  Ours has beginner courses that are offered periodically.  The same is true of the local school district.  Both are brief courses for adult learners.  I have also seen courses offered by through the state employment office.  I do not if you have to be unemployed to be eligible for these, but it might be worth checking.  Your community may be offering continuing ed or adult ed course in other venues as well.  All of these will allow you to learn without adding to your book collection.

Blessings,

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 10837
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2009 3:27 AM

Nick Goins:

Does anyone know a good book for improving my knowledge on computers? I am trying to follow some of these posts with the PBB and other acronyms but can't.  I was straight hard copy, but my wife is frowning upon my bookshelf so I am trying to convert to computer software but feel lost.  I probably need a dummy or blockhead book. Please help but be gentle on the mocking.  Thanks.

Some of those acronyms are Logos specific. PBB means Personal Book Builder, a feature of version 3 that allows users to create Logos resources. That ability is not yet ability is not yet incorporated in version 4. If you see terms you do not understand, just ask. Someone will be kind enough to explain.

Welcome to the Logos family. Yes. Now, your wife cannot see the size of your bookshelf--just hide the credit card receipts Geeked

Jack

Posts 19314
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2009 4:35 AM

Nick Goins:

Try Computer Hope. It offers "free computer help for everyone." It's a great site with lots of useful help for newbies, and it has a dictionary of computer jargon. There are lots of common questions with answers, basic troubleshooting info (with all confusing words linked to their definitions in the jargon dictionary). There's also a live chat room where you can post your question if you don't find what you're looking for, with a community of users who like answering people's computer questions. (We're a pretty friendly computer-savvy bunch here too, so feel free to ask, but that forum is specifically targeted to computer questions.)

Another helpful computer Q&A site written in plain English is Ask-Leo.com (run by my former boss).

There's a series of Free Basic Computer Video Tutorial Series on YouTube (to find all of them, go to the author's YouTube channel and then under "Uploads" click "See all," and scroll down past all his videos about other things to get to the computer ones. Various other people offer free tutorials online too. Browse around among the "related videos" on that first link I gave to find others. Here's another series titled Learn Basic Computer Skills.

And if you're just trying to figure out what some TLA (three letter acronym) means (unless it's something specific to Logos like PBB as Jack pointed out), then go to AcronymFinder.com and type it in. They've got a massive database of acronyms, including all the computer jargony ones and forum shorthand (FYI, BTW, FWIW, OTOH, LOL) that you're likely to ever encounter. Welcome to the Logos community! Let us help you get over the hump of being a beginner.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS