Margin Notes Idea

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 13
Tim Hatch | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 24 2012 11:23 AM

I get the logos notes.  Those make sense for deep study in a particular passage or topic.  But what about a "Margin" notes idea.  Where you link great information found in a commentary or Bible dictionary to a particular verse so that you can remember it in regular reading.  Like you would make such notes in the margin of your Study Bible for future remembrance.  Any thoughts, ideas about this?  Anyone figure out how to do this?

Posts 29365
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 24 2012 11:31 AM

Timothy Hatch:
I get the logos notes.  Those make sense for deep study in a particular passage or topic.  But what about a "Margin" notes idea.

Actually, notes in Logos are intended to be like "Margin" notes. They are not intended to be places to write research papers. How does the note feature differ from what you want to see done?

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 29365
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 24 2012 11:32 AM

Timothy Hatch:
But what about a "Margin" notes idea.  Where you link great information found in a commentary or Bible dictionary to a particular verse so that you can remember it in regular reading.

Make sure you attach the note to "reference" instead of "selection" if you want the note to be viewed in all versified resources (i.e. Bible's & Commentaries).

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 24 2012 12:14 PM

Deep study where you are righting a research paper, study Bible, or commentary would best be done using the Personal Book tool. You can compile and tag it to really be useful.

Posts 13
Tim Hatch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 24 2012 12:44 PM

My concern is to have hundreds of note files for all the notes... As opposed to one that is marked for margin notes... Could someone suggest how to make this happen?

Posts 29365
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 24 2012 1:07 PM

Timothy Hatch:
My concern is to have hundreds of note files for all the notes... As opposed to one that is marked for margin notes... Could someone suggest how to make this happen?

I still don't understand, but I think there is a disconnect in terminology. In my first screen shot, there are two notes shown. The first is attached to the word "world," and has a purple star icon. This note will ONLY appear in this specific resource. Also notice that the note content appears when you hover over the icon. The second note is attached to verse 17, and has a red square icon. This note will appear in EVERY versified resource, whether bible translation, commentary, etc.

The second screen shot shows the note document. If you wanted to, you could create a note document called "Margin Notes," although EVERY note document really functions this way. The reason you might want to create such a document is just for organizational purposes. Personally, I create a note document for EVERY resource which I take notes/highlights in. 

The third screen shot shows how to switch back and forth between notes by "selection" and by "reference." NOTE: Highlight notes are ALWAYS and ONLY by selection.

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 24 2012 1:26 PM

Timothy Hatch:
Where you link great information found in a commentary or Bible dictionary to a particular verse so that you can remember it in regular reading.
If you haven't read the wiki articles on notes they would be helpful.  Note especially the section on adding hyperlinks to your notes.  I personally created four note files for my Bibles.  Pentateuch, Old Testament, New Testament and End Times.  I did this to reflect the areas where I would add the most notes so as not to create any one file to be too large.  You could at least create two files, one for OT and one for NT. 

Notes (ver 4.5 & up)

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 3295
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 24 2012 6:11 PM

I have started using the notes feature in L4 as "margin notes" as it apparently has been inteded.  I use Evernote for everything else and link notes in L4 to their Evernote expanded note.  Works well for me.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 217
Dudley C Rose | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 24 2012 6:43 PM

David Taylor Jr:

I have started using the notes feature in L4 as "margin notes" as it apparently has been inteded.  I use Evernote for everything else and link notes in L4 to their Evernote expanded note.  Works well for me.

Could you give an example?

Posts 3295
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 25 2012 5:31 AM

Sure, I put a note attached to a reference in L4 that simply says "See Evernote Entry" then give a one line summary of the note.  Then I go to the evernote link and copy note location from the edit or file menu and add that hyperlink to the note in L4.  Then I see there is a note in L4 and when I click the hyperlink Evernote automatically opens to the correct note. 

How to upload logs

Posts 217
Dudley C Rose | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 25 2012 5:27 PM

Thanks. Pretty nice.

Posts 5242
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 26 2012 2:34 AM

Timothy Hatch:

I don't think you are making yourself clear enough. "My concern is to have"--as bolded above--could mean you WANT "hundreds of note files for all the notes" or that you DON'T WANT that. Also, if you want (or don't want) hundreds of note files, can you give a brief explanation as to why you want (or don't want) this? It would help in answering your question...since there may be a better way of addressing your concern.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 5242
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 26 2012 3:00 AM

David Taylor Jr:

Sure, I put a note attached to a reference in L4 that simply says "See Evernote Entry" then give a one line summary of the note.  Then I go to the evernote link and copy note location from the edit or file menu and add that hyperlink to the note in L4.  Then I see there is a note in L4 and when I click the hyperlink Evernote automatically opens to the correct note. 

I use L3 primarily because I find its Notes feature is far superior to L4's (there are other better L3 features, too). The main thing I prefer is that the note pop-up that you get when hovering over the note icon can be as large as my work space...almost as large as my screen. Bob, on ridiculous complaints about pop-up size being too large, chose to limit L4's note pop-ups to about 2.5x3 in., which makes L4 dead in the water for me, regardless of other features. The thing I like about the L3 Notes feature is that there is NOTHING to click...just hover til your done. If a note is larger than will fit in a pop-up, then I still find L3's note input window a bazillion times more user friendly and uncluttered in appearance and utility than L4's.

So here's my first question: why use Evernote? I'm asking not as opposed to L4...I understand that chisel and hammer would be better than L4...but as opposed to what L3 offers. My second question is: can you provide a screenshot of Evernote so I can see what it looks like? I'm concerned about appearance, such as lack of visual clutter. Also, if you can, please post a screenshot of a rather complex note, such as one that has Hebrew text, and a variety of fonts, or copies of interlinear text.

For the life of me, I can't understand how having to click a hyperlink to another program that opens up another window that you have to close is better than an in-program Bible-context note that appears and disappears with a simple mouse hover. If I'm mistaken, I'd like to know why and how so. Thanks.

Btw, if someone else wants to provide the above requested ss's, I won't complain. Smile

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 3295
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 26 2012 5:07 AM

In an ideal world I would use L3 for my notes as I like the system as well.  However, I have not been able to get my resources working in L3, frustrating.  I'll work on getting you a screenshot.

How to upload logs

Posts 13
Tim Hatch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 26 2012 6:17 AM

The idea was: I don't want that. I'm learning a lot from all these replies however, thank you all.

Posts 29365
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 26 2012 7:15 AM

Timothy Hatch:
The idea was: I don't want that. I'm learning a lot from all these replies however, thank you all.

Can you explain more clearly what you want and how it differs from what Logos is doing now?

Posts 12
Danny Truitt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 9 2012 10:14 AM

Timothy:

I'm a late-comer to this topic and very low on the Logos learning curve, but I have been struggling a bit with the same concern that you express.  After reading your post and looking through the replies, I've come up with something that works for me.

I made a note file entitled "Margin Notes" that I will use when I want a note just as I would have written it in the margins of my "hard copy" Bible–a free-standing note, not intended to be tied to any particular subject.  I will use a distinctive icon (red star, for instance) to identify all notes that go to my "Margin Notes" file.  In this way, I can make notes in the same instantaneous, impulsive style that I am accustomed to in my physical Bibles.  When I "mouse over" the specially marked note (red star), I will see my note just as I would see a note physically written in the margins of my physical Bible.  This will be my place for impulsive notes (Margin Notes file) and serves me exactly as making physical margin notes.  I hope this helps.

Also, I don't want to offend anyone–just a kindly suggestion from a new-comer.  In looking through the replies, I think some of you may fail to realize that there will always be others who just aren't as "up to speed" as you are in the mastery of all things Logos.  Hopefully, that doesn't make us inferior.  Please try to help us without using the "surely you must know that!" attitude.

Thanks,

Danny Truitt

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS