Reading plan question

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1062
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 22 2009 7:51 AM

I set up a reading plan to read Romans in a certain number of days. And even if the standard verse and chapter boundaries are not logical (since we cannot change that, anyway), I liked that way it usually created daily reading boundaries based on reasonable paragraph and/or chapter markings. For example, on one day, I was assigned the 23 verses of Romans 6 and the following day, the first 9 verses of Romans 7. And that's cool.

But what I would like to avoid is stopping in the middle of a sentence. In both my preferred Bible (NA 27) and my top priority Bible (NRSV), Romans 7.9 stops in the middle of a sentence. It's as if the NIV (which ends a sentence at the end of 7.9) determines where the reading boundaries should be. Otherwise, it's hard to understand how it determined to stop at such a peculiar spot.

Is there any way to make daily readings obey more closely the sentence structure of a particular Bible?

Thank you in advance,

Lew

Posts 320
John Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2009 11:45 AM

I don't think the program is capable of distinguishing sentence endings and marking the reading there. But it really shouldn't be a big problem either way. If it marks the end of your reading in the middle of a sentence, just go ahead and read the rest of the sentence anyway...

perspectivelyspeaking.wordpress.com

Posts 1062
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2009 4:08 PM

Perhaps it isn't a problem for you either way, but in order to truly study a passage, it's not just a matter of flying past a comma and finishing the paragraph or sentence. I was just wondering why it worked the way it did and if there was any way around it.

Posts 235
Tom Geswein | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2009 9:28 AM

I had a similar concern with a reading plan of mine.  Sometimes it would have me reading 8-10 chapters per day and one day it had me reading only two.  (That was about 140 verses compared to 40 verses.)  It didn't make any sense to me...  If I remember correctly, L3 let you choose chapter boundaries or pericope boundaries.

"It seems our problems solve themselves when we look beyond us to those truly in hell."  -  Beyond Our Suffering - AILD

Posts 963
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2009 1:13 PM

It would be really helpful if the reading plan did allow breaks on chapter or pericope boundaries for Bibles and have an option for non-Bible books to read X chapters per reading session.  I'd like to read some books at a rate of one complete chapter a day for however long it takes, but with the current options, that's really not possible.

Posts 28
Karen Campbell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2009 2:57 PM

Tim Hensler:
It would be really helpful if the reading plan did allow breaks on chapter or pericope boundaries for Bibles

I, too, would like breaks on pericope boundaries. I thought there was something amiss with my bible reading plans. That is it.

Posts 320
John Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2009 6:33 PM

LewWorthington:

Perhaps it isn't a problem for you either way, but in order to truly study a passage, it's not just a matter of flying past a comma and finishing the paragraph or sentence. I was just wondering why it worked the way it did and if there was any way around it.

I'm still not sure why this would be a problem. You can simply ignore the "Stop Reading" marker and keep reading or "truly studying" the passage, if you prefer. However, I certainly agree that it would be more convenient if the user had more control over how the daily readings were divided. 

perspectivelyspeaking.wordpress.com

Posts 1
Todd K. Pedlar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 8:29 PM

Logos 3 used to allow this... why is this capability not present in Logos 4?  (or so it seems)  I hope someone from Logos can help here!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS