Non-Logos - Billy Joe Daugherty

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 706
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 22 2009 12:58 PM

Just wondering how many people Billy Joe Daugherty has a direct or an indirect influence on your life. For those who may not know Pastor Daugherty went Home to the Lord very early this morning.

For me personally the ministry I got saved under and first served under were graduates from Victory and the ministry I am currently serving in were tightly connected as well. So he had a very impactful influence on my life without my ever having met him...

Anyone else?

Posts 2765
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2009 1:07 PM

I only know the name in connection with the ORU "issues" a few years ago..

My thoughts and prayers are with his friends family and church at this time.

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 17
Matt W | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 3:45 PM

I attended his church for years, knew his family and met him a few times.  Bill Joe has a solid reputation in Tulsa.  Even though busy, he wouldn't hesitate to speak to small groups if asked.  I remember him pouring his heart out at my small college bible study (<20 people).  I would also hear stories of him giving strangers rides home that were caught in the rain.  I had a coworker that had a grudge against TV preachers until he had to unload a large shipment at Victory Christian by himself, and found out later that the man helping him unload boxes of heavy cargo was Billy Joe.  Billy Joe decided to provide a bus so people from the inner-city could join in worship, even as many of his wealthier members protested and left.   He would make every effort to remember each church member's name even though the congregation was around 10,000.  He was someone that really wanted to share Christ with everyone he came into contact with.  This passion for Christ and humility in the midst of success in ministry is what I remember most.

Posts 706
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 3:53 PM

Cool story Matt... Yeah I never got to meet him and have only been to Tulsa to visit one of our churches that is out there in Sand Springs... But a lot of the men who have been influential in my life have been in relationship with or trained to some degree by Victory....

Posts 411
Ken Shawver | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 4:47 PM

Well I am shocked and saddened. I couple of years ago I was in Tulsa visting family. His ministry was instrumental in getting a family member understanding that Christianity isn't a religon but a relationship. The impact he had in the Tulsa area was a definite blessing.

God definitely used Vistory to reach those in the Tulsa and surrounding areas. My families prayers will be with the Victory family at this time.

In Christ,

Ken

Dell Studio 1555; 15.6 True Life LCD; Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20 GHz, 2M Cache, 800 MHz FSB ; 500GB 5400 HDD; 8GB RAM, Win 10, Chrome 70

http://wiki.logos.com/

Posts 34372
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 4:49 PM

Kenneth Shawver:
Christianity isn't a religon but a relationship

Just curious - I agree that Christianity is a relationship but what do you mean by saying it "isn't a religion?"

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 706
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 4:55 PM

MJ - this is my take as I explain the relationship not a religion...

Religion is just a system of beliefs.

Christianity is a relationship with the One True God, Our Savior, Our Comforter and Our Body, the Body of Christ. Christianity is not based on just a system of beliefs, but on belief and relationship with the Risen Christ!

Posts 34372
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 5:19 PM

Frank Sauer:
Christianity is not based on just a system of beliefs, but on belief and relationship with the Risen Christ!

Got it. Thanks.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 411
Ken Shawver | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 11:30 AM

Thanks Frank for clarifying, was off-line last night. MJ, frank clarified it very nicely. Sorry about the confusion.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

In Christ,

Ken

Dell Studio 1555; 15.6 True Life LCD; Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.20 GHz, 2M Cache, 800 MHz FSB ; 500GB 5400 HDD; 8GB RAM, Win 10, Chrome 70

http://wiki.logos.com/

Posts 1
Barry Noor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 26 2009 8:13 PM

Actually I would say Christainity is very much a religion, that is to say, a system of beliefs, not necessarily laid down by the objective truth of the Word, but the subjective opinion(s) of people. Doubt it? Attend church this Sunday or attend an Annual Business meeting or the like and it will be quite apparent where God's direction ends and people's wills begins.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS