Revelation Commentaries

Page 1 of 4 (79 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 78 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 5
Nick Goins | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 22 2009 7:19 PM

I am currently teaching a class on the book of Revelation.  I am looking for different commentaries from an amillennial, premillennial, and postmillennial view.  I figured someone might have a list on here.  I have tried searches in the products but had very little success.  Thanks.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2009 7:23 PM

For premil, I would Suggest Footsteps of the Messiah. For a more even book of different views I would suggest Revelation: Four Views

Posts 103
Jason | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2009 7:30 PM

Here's a link to a site that has many of the Revelation commentaries linked, rated, and some categorized by viewpoint (a-mill, pre-mill, or post-mill):  http://www.bestcommentaries.com/category/revelation/

Many refer to Beale's NIGTC commentary for an a-mill perspective.  Others to look at are Aune's in WBC, Osborne in BECNT, and Mounce in NICNT.

Hope that helps!

Jason

the ancient art of shalom: thots on sustainable spirituality in san francisco - http://me.jasonkuo.com/thots

Posts 709
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2009 7:35 PM

Osborne's commentary in BECNT and Beale's in NIGTC are two of the finest exegetical commentaries on the Greek text.

Beale comes from an eclectic perspective with an emphasis on the historical setting of the text. His work on the use of the OT in Revelation is second to none.

Osborne also claims an eclectic perspective but focuses more on future fulfillment.

Aune in WBC and Mounce in NICNT are also good.

Posts 10837
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2009 7:41 PM

Premillennial: Bible Knowledge Commentary, Revelation, An Expository Commentary (Harry Ironside), MacArthur New Testament Commentary, Escape the Coming Night (David Jeremiah), The Revelation of Jesus Christ (John Walvoord), Studies in Revelation (Hampton Keathley)

Posts 19314
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2009 8:09 PM

Nick Goins:

I am currently teaching a class on the book of Revelation.  I am looking for different commentaries from an amillennial, premillennial, and postmillennial view.  I figured someone might have a list on here.  I have tried searches in the products but had very little success.  Thanks.

What about a "pan-millennial perspective? The notion that it will all pan out in the end.Smile

Jason Kuo:

Here's a link to a site that has many of the Revelation commentaries linked, rated, and some categorized by viewpoint (a-mill, pre-mill, or post-mill):  http://www.bestcommentaries.com/category/revelation/

Wow! Great site. Thanks, Jason.

Posts 3916
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2009 9:04 PM

not a commentary, but offers a hermeneutical approach to Revelation from the amill perspective: Revelation's Rhapsody: Listening to the Lyrics of the Lamb by Dr. Robert Lowery.  It is the first of a trilogy, the last two being a commentary and a "special issues" volume.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 19314
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2009 9:15 PM

Also not commentaries, but the very best books on Revelation that I've read are:

Reversed Thunder: The Revelation of John and the Praying Imagination by Eugene Peterson
The Theology of the Book of Revelation by Richard Bauckham

Posts 33474
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2009 9:17 PM

Nick Goins:
I am currently teaching a class on the book of Revelation.

Available as a PDF's - David Chilton's Paradise Restored: A Biblical Theology of Dominion and Rev. Father Tadros Y Malaty's Commentary on the Book of Revelation

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2009 9:31 PM

If you still have L3 around and have a PBB reading key, you can go over to www.stilltruth.com to download E.W. Hengstenberg's commentaries on Revelation.

Bill

Posts 109
Larry Heflin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 22 2009 10:19 PM

www.revelationcommentary.org is an online commentary that can be downloaded as a pdf. It represents a pre-mil and a pre-wrath viewpoint.

Posts 27
CharlesJ | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 8 2009 3:36 PM

There are two books on Revelation that I've enjoyed.  The first book is written by Jim McGuiggan, "The Book of Revelation" and the second is written by Arthur M. Ogden, "The Avenging of the Apostles and Prophets."   Both books approach the Book of Revelation with the amillennial view. 

Although both are amillennial, they take different views.  The big reason on two different views is "was Julius Caesar the first king or was Augustus Caesar?”   Jim starts his count with Augustus while Arthur starts his with Julius.  It does make a difference in “dating” the book.  Both use Revelation 13 where it says “…five have fallen, and one is, ….”   The “one is” is the living king at the time of the writing of Revelation.  If you say Julius was the first king, then the “one is” is Nero, or if you say Augustus was the first king, then Titus was the “one is.”  (Because of the shortness of reign of Galba, Otho & Vitellius they are not counted and Titus is the “one is” … Daniel 7 tells us that three were “uprooted” and these are the three that John doesn't mention.  Daniel sees the animals looking forward in history while John sees the same animals in the vision looking backwards.)

Arthur dates during the reign of Nero while Jim dates it during the reign of Titus.

Hope you enjoy teaching Revelation. 

Your servant in Messiah, Jesus the Christ,

Charles

cjemeyson@satx.rr.com

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 8 2009 5:52 PM

Nick Goins:

Peace and Joy in the Lord to you, Nick!                 *smile*

One of my most favourite Logos Books is the Concordia Publishing House  Commentary on Revelation by Louis Brighton.  It is amillennial.  Thoroughly scholarly and fascinating to read.

I find Brighton's work in Rev 1st chapter to be extremely insightful, particularly in regard to the clear exposition of The Holy Trinity.

For example:          (a quote .. )ὁ ὤν ("the One Who Is") in the phrase ὁ ὢν καὶ ὁ ἦν καὶ ὁ ἐρχόμενος ("the One Who Is and Who Was and Who Is Coming") leads one to the LXX’s rendering of the holy name (the tetragrammaton, Yahweh) in Exodus 3. In Ex 3:14 the LXX translates אֶהְיֶה אֲשֶׁר אֶהְיֶה ("I Am Who I Am") with ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ ὤν ("I Am the One Who Is"). After God identifies himself, he then tells Moses to say to the children of Israel that, in the LXX’s rendering, ὁ ὤν ("the One Who Is") sent him.22 In Rev 1:4 John follows the LXX rendering of the holy name by his use of ὁ ὤν; in the context of 1:4–6ὁ ὤν then refers to God the Father.23

But what are the referents of

John, in his own way, uses

Anyway, Nick, some of my thoughts ........          For some reason, Concordia Publishing House -  a Partner with Logos and Libronix - has not made available that commentary on the Logos web site and has to be ordered in Libronix Format directly from CPH.              Unfortunate ......

Blessings and Yours in Christ,                    ............    Mel

ὁ ἦν ("Who Was") and ὁ ἐρχόμενος ("Who Is Coming"), for these expressions do not appear in the LXX’s rendering of Exodus 3? Could ὁ ἐρχόμενος ("Who Is Coming") be in the same or a similar tradition as the rendering of אֶהְיֶה ("I Am") with a future tense, as Aquila and Theodotion do in Ex 3:14?24 (Here in Rev 1:4 John uses the present participle ἐρχόμενος ["is coming"] in a future sense since it contrasts with the imperfect past tense of ἦν ["was"] and with the present tense of ὤν ["is"].) That might possibly be part of the answer, but the full tripartite title seems to be unprecedented.ὁ ὢν καὶ ὁ ἦν καὶ ὁ ἐρχόμενος ("the One Who Is and Who Was and Who Is Coming") for the holy name in Exodus 3. He takes ὁ ὤν ("the One Who Is") from the LXX of Ex 3:14 and then expands it by adding καὶ ὁ ἦν καὶ ὁ ἐρχόμενος ("and Who Was and Who Is Coming"). By so doing he states that the ever present One is continually present now, as he was in the past and as he always will be in the future. The entire three-part phrase, then, is really a rendition ofאֶהְיֶה ("I Am," which is in the Hebrew Qal imperfect tense) in Ex 3:14, which is God’s own explanation for the tetragrammaton,יהוה, the holy name, Yahweh (Ex 3:13–16). John ma ............. "

.......        "It is better to hear 1:4–5 as naming three distinct persons: (1) "the One Who Is and Who Was and Who Is Coming"; (2) the seven Spirits; and (3) Jesus Christ. Each refers to one of the persons of the Trinity.

First, the revelation comes from God the Father.

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 8 2009 5:54 PM

Sorry, but somehow my message got mixed up when I put in the media for Concordia Publishing House

Takes a bit of effort to put the whole quote from Brighton together since it is "interrupted."    Sorry!         *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 2898
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 8 2009 6:25 PM

Historic Premil ought to be distinguished from Dispensational Pre-mil.

For historic premil there is none better that George Ladd's commentary on Revelation.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 130
Robert J Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 8 2009 6:26 PM

Revelation: Four Views, by Steve Gregg covers all of those in parallel.

Posts 27
CharlesJ | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 8 2009 6:36 PM

You said, "I am looking for different commentaries from an amillennial, premillennial, and postmillennial view.." 

On an earlier post, I gave you two commentaries (books) on the ammillennial view.  I found, over the years, to "go to the source," that is, if you want to know what the premillenial view is then go to someone like John Walwoord, (a premillennal despensationalist)  but DON'T go to Walvoord if you want an amillennial view because it will be biased.  I suggest if you want a premillennial view, then seek those who write on premillennial views and if you want the amillennial view, then go to them.  Jim McGuiggan and Arthur M. Ogden are ammillennialists.  Jim lives in Ireland and taught here in the U.S. for years.  Ogden is living in the central part of the U.S. (Somerset, Ky)

In my last post, I gave you the "key" to the dating of Revelation.  It isn't the most popular dating (being as most date Revelation around 94-95 A.D.) because of something John said to a disciple. (I've heard all the arguments on this I think)  

Notice:  In the  first verse and the last verse (Rev 1:1 & 22:6) you have  the same statements:  "... this must take place shortly."  Also in 1:3 & 22:20 "...the time is near."   John gives the Revelation story, but he begins it with "hey fellows, this is going to take place shortly ( "at your elbow," in the Greek).  He was speaking to a Jewish audience.  He was waring them of 70 A.D.  I follow the ideas of Aurthur Ogden althought Jim McGuiggan was my bible college teacher in 1976. LOL

May the Lord be with you,

Charles

cjemeyson@satx.rr.com

Posts 2852
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 6:33 PM

Nick Goins wroteI am looking for different commentaries from an amillennial, premillennial, and postmillennial view.

Would some one please post the definition of each please

[I know that they have something to do with the Millennium – I guess they are when the Millennium will be – when Jesus comes, before Jesus comes or after Jesus comes – but that is just a guess]

Posts 19314
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 6:48 PM

premillennial - "the rapture" will occur before the millennium
postmillennial - rapture will occur after the millennium
amillennial - the millennium is symbolic and not literal

panmillennial - it will all pan out in the end Smile

Posts 3916
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 7:39 PM

maybe add to that that the Millenium is seen by pre-millenialists as a literal earthly reign of Christ before the final consummation of the New Heaven and Earth.  Amill's see the period of the church as being the "millennium."  None of the views are nice neat and tidy.  Each one has some scriptures that are kind of head scratchers--hard to  fit in their system.  Pre-mills often read revelation as linear: this happens then this happens, and if often read thru modern lenses--heavy emphasis on reading today's events into the symbolism and structure of the book, trying to unlock the blueprint for when the end will come.  Amillennialists see Revelation as a cyclical structured book (see Hendrickson, more than conquerors, or Lowery, Revelation's Rhapsody, for examples.  The latter is in logos)  There are several good commentaries representing the various views in Logos.  They just released one for the premill dispensationalist viewpoint--but i can't rmember the name.  Beale's in the NIGTC is very highly regarded for amill, but it is pretty technical and detailed.

The trick is learning to talk about it with others without getting all rankled.  AngelConfusedDevil

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Page 1 of 4 (79 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS