Revelation Commentaries

Page 3 of 4 (79 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 78 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 19280
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 9:07 AM

Richard DeRuiter:

(If I were to use the terms "Infralapsarian vs. Supralapsarian" in the context of Reformed decretal theology, how would you research it in Logos? Probably something along these lines - with obvious variation at points, of course. Oh, please let's not rehash that particular debate here.)

I was once having a discussion with a Christian friend of some theological training over a cup of tea. We were disputing specifically whether it is best to put the milk in first before the tea, or after the tea. I'm for doing it after. My friend told me that I was a postlactarian, as opposed to a prelactarian. :-)

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 9:19 AM

Rosie Perera:
I was once having a discussion with a Christian friend of some theological training over a cup of tea. We were disputing specifically whether it is best to put the milk in first before the tea, or after the tea. I'm for doing it after. My friend told me that I was a postlactarian, as opposed to a prelactarian. :-)

That would make me an a-lactarian, since I believe the tea already has all the milk it needs.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 198
Bryan Brodess | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 9:28 AM

Let me see if I get this correctly.. A pre or Post lactarian would literally put milk in.. An A-Lactarian only symbolically interprets the milk as being there..Is this right??..lol

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 9:55 AM

Bryan Brodess:

Let me see if I get this correctly.. A pre or Post lactarian would literally put milk in.. An A-Lactarian only symbolically interprets the milk as being there..Is this right??..lol

Since this metaphor is already pushed beyond the breaking point, and this will stretch the metaphor beyond the breaking point. Let me say that the milk is not symbolic, bit it was already in the tea when I walked in the room. What is symbolic is the amount of time between brewing and drinking the tea.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 19280
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 5:03 PM

Richard DeRuiter:

Since this metaphor is already pushed beyond the breaking point, and this will stretch the metaphor beyond the breaking point. Let me say that the milk is not symbolic, bit it was already in the tea when I walked in the room. What is symbolic is the amount of time between brewing and drinking the tea.

The other question of course, which I almost hesitate to bring up because religious wars have been fought over it, is whether the tea bag should be taken up out of the tea (raptured as it were) after a few minutes (1000 literal seconds? or symbolic?) or left in the turbulation until the final consummation of the tea.

And as for being a-lactarian, it depends on whether it's black (a textual corruption of "Greek") or herbal (a textual corruption of "Hebrew") tea.

Posts 2833
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 9:02 PM

Thomas Black:
I've found Millard Ericksons Concise Dictionary of Theology to be a most helpful tool for deciphering terms that are new to me

Erickson, M. J. (2001). The concise dictionary of Christian theology (Rev. ed., 1st Crossway ed.) (11). Wheaton, Ill.: Crossway Books.

NOT in any base package that I could see

The Concise Dictionary of Christian Theology (Revised Edition), (SKU #2822) (1) $17.95 USD

Just got it [can not afford the other one that was in the next post] [and it loaded into both LOGOS 3 and 4]

Next I have to look up " eschatological "

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 9:49 PM

Nick Goins:

I am currently teaching a class on the book of Revelation.  I am looking for different commentaries from an amillennial, premillennial, and postmillennial view.  I figured someone might have a list on here.  I have tried searches in the products but had very little success.  Thanks.

The best commentary on Revelation hasn't been published yet  (that would be mine -- I'm so humble Hmm).   Believe it or not, you can get some insights into Revelation by reading Augustine's City of God.  It would be considered Amillenial.

I've been working on this for years.  If I can be of any help, feel free to ask  gfsomsel in the domain yahoo.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 19280
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 19 2009 11:19 PM

George Somsel:

The best commentary on Revelation hasn't been published yet  (that would be mine -- I'm so humble Hmm).   Believe it or not, you can get some insights into Revelation by reading Augustine's City of God.  It would be considered Amillenial.

I've been working on this for years.  If I can be of any help, feel free to ask  gfsomsel in the domain yahoo.

I'm looking forward to Gordon Fee's commentary on Revelation, to be published sometime in 2010 by Wipf & Stock. I took his class on Revelation at Regent College a number of years ago, and it was excellent. I'm kind of a Revelation junkie myself. I love the language of it and love the book and long to rescue it from all the nonsense that has been perpetrated upon it. I have amassed quite a collection of print-based books and commentaries. Haven't read all of them yet, but they all have been helpful in one way or another, and the few that I haven't cracked yet look great and I'd love to read them when I get a chance. Here's what I've got, in no particular order:

• Robert Mounce, The Book of Revelation (NICNT) -  too
  • G.K. Beale, The Book of Revelation (NIGTC) -  too
  • David Aune, Revelation, 3 vols. (WBC) -  only
  • Richard Bauckham, The Theology of the Book of Revelation (Cambridge)
  • Wes Howard-Brook & Anthony Gwyther, Unveiling Empire: Reading Revelation Then and Now (Orbis)
  • Darrell Johnson, Discipleship on the Edge: An Expository Journey through the Book of Revelation (Regent College Publishing) - I took a Regent class on Revelation with Darrell too.
  • William Dumbrell, The End of the Beginning: Revelation 21-22 and the Old Testament (Lancer)
  • Craig Koester, Revelation and the End of All Things (Eerdmans)
  • Paul Spilsbury, The Throne, The Lamb & The Dragon: A Reader's Guide to the Book of Revelation (IVP)
  • Barbara Rossing, The Rapture Exposed: The Message of Hope in the Book of Revelation (Westview Press)
  • John Stott, What Christ Thinks of the Church: An Exposition of Revelation 1-3 (Baker)
  • Graeme Goldsworthy, The Gospel in Revelation (Paternoster)
  • W.M. Ramsay, The Letters to the Seven Churches (Hendrickson)
  • Colin Hemer, The Letters to the Seven Churches of Asia in Their Local Setting (Eerdmans)
  • Eugene Peterson, Reversed Thunder: The Revelation of John and the Praying Imagination (HarperCollins) - I studied under Eugene Peterson, too
  • Hanns Lilje, The Last Book of the Bible (Muhlenberg)
  • Robert Clouse, ed., The Meaning of the Millennium: Four Views (IVP)
  • Jacques Ellul, Apocalypse (Seabury)
  • Marva Dawn, Joy in Our Weakness: A Gift of Hope from the Book of Revelation (Concordia)
  • Earl Palmer, The Communicator's Commentary: 1, 2, 3 John & Revelation (Word) - Earl was my pastor for many years and taught a class on Revelation
  • John Collins, The Apocalyptic Imagination (Eerdmans) - not specifically about Revelation but good background on the genre of apocalyptic literature
  • Mark Bredin, Jesus, Revolutionary of Peace: A Nonviolent Christology in the Book of Revelation (Paternoster) -  only
  • Stephen Finamore, God, Order, and Chaos: René Girard and the Apocalypse (Paternoster) -  only
  • J. Ramsay Michaels, Interpreting the Book of Revelation (Baker) -  only
  • plus a bunch of other commentaries  only

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 20 2009 2:22 AM

Now there's a list of hopefuls for Logos.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 32
Pastor Johnny | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 27 2009 2:25 PM

Logos currently has an excellent commentary on Revelation on pre-pub - by Robert L. Thomas  - An Exegetical Commentary: Revelation (2 Vols).

http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/5282

I have the hard copy set and used them when I was in school.

Posts 2896
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2009 8:04 AM

Premil means Christ will return before the millennium, not "the rapture" will occur before the millennium.  Dispensational premill means the rapture will occur before the mellenniun - a variant of premill that dates from 19th century.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2009 12:30 PM

Some good information and suggestions here.
Thanks. Using this as a marker.

Posts 187
Anthony Etienne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 28 2009 12:35 PM

Also, since I haven't seen him listed here; is Lerry Fogle's "Revelation Explained" commentary.

Posts 19280
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 31 2009 5:45 AM

Rosie Perera:

• W.M. Ramsay, The Letters to the Seven Churches (Hendrickson)

I just discovered that this one exists in PBB format. We'll have to wait until later for that to be readable in L4, but it's there.

http://www.stilltruth.com/2009/william-m-ramsay-seven-letters-seven-churches-asia

Posts 42
JM | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 7:25 AM

Richard DeRuiter:
That would make me an a-lactarian, since I believe the tea already has all the milk it needs.

...And all this time I thought I was a-lactarian because I'm lactose intolerant!

Posts 456
Roger Feenstra | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 7:28 AM

Philip Spitzer:
I would Suggest Footsteps of the Messiah

I like this book too.  I have read it a couple of times.  Arnold Fruchtenbaum always gives interesting insights from a Jewish perspective.

Elder/Pastor, Hope Now Bible Church, Fresno CA

Posts 62
Tony Garland | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 8 2010 11:02 PM

Speaking of Fruchtenbaum's "Footsteps of the Messiah," another Revelation commentary which draws upon his work which I don't believe I've seen mentioned--is "A Testimony of Jesus Christ" by myself Smile

It isn't available directly on the Logos site (for some unknown reason), but can be had in Logos format within a collection of Revelation Commentaries by Galaxie Software

http://store.galaxie.com/product.asp?ProductID=29

It is also available as a two-volume hardback

http://www.bestbookdeal.com/book/compare/0978886410

http://www.bestbookdeal.com/book/compare/0978886429

or available free in various other formats (PDF, HTML, eSword):

http://www.spiritandtruth.org/download/revelation/index.htm

It goes hand-in-hand with an MP3 course on the internet consisting of over 70 hours of lecture set to over 980 slides:

http://www.spiritandtruth.org/teaching/5.htm

It is written from a premillennial perspective.

Posts 1522
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 9 2010 2:33 AM

Michael Childs:

Premil means Christ will return before the millennium, not "the rapture" will occur before the millennium.  Dispensational premill means the rapture will occur before the mellenniun - a variant of premill that dates from 19th century.

Did Scripture foretell the rebirth of Israel as a nation in 1948?

Posts 769
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 9 2010 4:17 AM

Anthony -

Per forum guidelines, Logos has asked us not to post links to companies selling software other than Logos.com. I know you are trying to be helpful, but this is what they have asked us not to do.

Jerry

iMac (2019 model), 3Ghz 6 Core Intel i5, 16gb Ram, Radeon Pro Graphics. 500GB SSD.

Posts 65
Dale Winters | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 9 2010 5:47 AM

How about Revelation:  Four Views   http://www.logos.com/ebooks/details/REV4VIEWS

Page 3 of 4 (79 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS