Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 26 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 50
Darrell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 11 2012 4:29 PM

My solution to replacing my 40 year old KJV wide margin edition, which let me tell you, was no easy decision. I’m still in the process of converting my margin notes to electronic notes.

I opted for the Google Nexus 7 inch tablet. The size is adequate for comfortable reading. I don’t think it would be large enough for preaching or teaching from though, at least not for me. I also purchased an 18 month Day-Timer zippered portfolio, after removing the 5-ring binder I secured my tablet in place with Velcro for easy removal if I choose to. The portfolio has a pocket large enough to hold printer paper folded in half so I can carry a few hard copy notes and a few business cards, also a slip on the right for a paper tablet and pen holder. The zipper closure keeps it all secure. My church provides Wi-Fi so I get full software functionality while connected.

Screen capture of Home page just to give an idea of what it looks like.

Screen capture of split screen showing bible choice on top and commentary choice below.

Screen capture showing the word “pleasant” has been selected and the lower fly-up  window has

appeared for selected Bible Word Study information and surface text searching.

Screen capture showing resulting Bible Word Study with Word-Ring.

Screen capture showing Dictionary of Biblical Languages result.

My only complaints are the missing characters for word pronunciation,(a font problem) and

would like more bible dictionaries/encyclopedias available.

All in all a good functioning tablet for the price, $250 with 16G of memory.

The electronic bible gives us so much more information available at our fingertips.

Dell Lap Top Win 10_Home,  Logos 7,    

Samsung gs7 phone

Posts 2089
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 11 2012 5:03 PM

Rumors are the slimmer 32GB Nexus will come in at the same price as the "older" 16GB. Rumors also say 10" coming, price unknown; and a $99 version, specs unknown - possibly subsidized through mobile carrier. And I suspect they would drop the price on the 16GB to $200, but that's speculation. So possibly worth the wait.

I jumped at the 16GB when they first hit. I haven't run out of space yet though with a lot of my platinum books downloaded: most all of the commentaries, dictionaries, encyclopedias and other references, plus a whole lot of junk apps (aka games). I don't see a downside to the 16GB version unless you download a lot of media: games, music, video.

As I said before, I find the 7" perfect for most cases. It's more easily portable, easier to hold when reading. For anything bigger, I would suggest waiting to see what the smaller Windows 8 Hybrids look like with full Windows and removable and transformable keyboards. Full Logos and super portable!

Posts 938
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 11 2012 5:05 PM

Thanks for your post, Darrell, especially the screen shots.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 1753
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 12 2012 6:44 AM

My Nexus 7 8 mb will be with me shortly (usps delivery).  I found it on Amazon used with a cover, and a usb to bluetooth keyboard.  I hope 8 is enough.  I primarily got it to use as an e-reader and to use blackboard learn and Logos for Seminary.

Posts 938
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 12 2012 7:28 AM

Let us know what you think about it, Joseph, after you have a little time with it. Hope it works out well.

Posts 938
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 29 2012 9:53 AM

The 32GB Google Nexus 7 is now available for $249. I may go with that since it will be great for reading and then see how the larger Windows 8 tablets (e.g. Surface Pro) look for more productive work.

Posts 178
Sir Maru | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 29 2012 11:33 AM

I've been using the Kindle Fire HD 7" 32 Gb for four days now.  It gets along with Logos much better than my old Kindle Fire 1st Generation did.

Fonts are improved immeasurably and the Bible Book icons on the KFHD7-32 are like day and night compared to how they appeared on the KF1G.

Plus, I've downloaded lots more Logos resources on the KFHD7-32 and hardly dented the storage capacity.

Logos definitely performs much better on the KFHD7-32 in many other ways.

One problem I've noticed is that on the KF1G I was able to get "Morning and Evening" devotions all the time.  For some reason on the KFHD7-32 I cannot get it to appear in my devotions.  I have no idea why that happened.  Another problem is that some functions require WiFi access.  I'd like to be able to function fully without any WiFi connection when away from home.  Almost all WiFi networks outside of my home have password protection denying me access.

If one is in to Amazon products, sticking with the KFHD7-32 is a lot better than going off to the Nexus.  I read lots of eBooks from Amazon, buy my music there and use their Prime advantage.  Nexus will not be able to duplicate that.

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS