SLOWER & slowerrrrrrrrr

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 132
George T. Kelley | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 3 2012 8:16 AM

With every update Logos gets slower and slower. This last one for Faithlife Study Bible makes Logos 4 the slowest program on my computer. This morning I launched Logos, made a cup of coffee and came back, usually it is loaded by this time, but it was still in its first stage of loading. It took forever, will a long time, for it to load and then I had to wait for a much longer time, than usual, to load the layout I use for my morning devotions. The pageup and pagedown are sluggish, etc. The only thing that seems normal is to switch between home and my loaded layout.

A few months ago there were some patches that was supposed to have speeded up the loading time, but it has only made Logos slower and slower. (All other programs, Word, Excel, Photoshop, Quickverse, etc. are all loading as they have in the past.) (I am running Win7 64bit with 12GB memory.)

George T

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE
Posts 2089
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 3 2012 8:25 AM

What version of Logos are you using? Did you get the accidental upgrade last weekend? I find L4 (stable & beta) works fairly quick (or at least a lot quicker than what you describe) on a similarly equipped system: Win7 64 on i7 w/ 12GB.

Posts 132
George T. Kelley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 3 2012 8:49 AM

I am running "Logos Bible Software 4.6 SR-2 (4.60.0.3010)" , I also am running i7. It seems to me that each update only slows it down a little more and this last one went from warm syrup to cold molasses. If I close it and then reopen it of course it does load faster, but not as before.

George T

Posts 132
George T. Kelley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 3 2012 9:28 AM

I rebooted, loaded it by itself, I usually use a Word macro to start it with four other programs, and it loaded under a minute and the layout loaded a little less than a minute and a half (the smallest layout I have). However, when loading it with the other programs, and they have not changed, it takes around five minutes, used to take under three. I don't believe that I have a program that does not start within half a minute and is ready to use (Photoshop Elements takes a little longer if I am loading several pictures at the same times as I start the program, but still faster than Logos).

The internal slowness was cured by starting, closing and restarting Logos several times and now the pageup and down is only a little slower than it was, but of course the notes drag along.

George T

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 3 2012 10:24 AM

Have tried any of the suggestions here: http://wiki.logos.com/Speeding_up_Logos_4_responses ?

Also, the behavior you describe sounds a lot like there is either indexing happening, or a lot of syncing. There were some issues with the Logos servers last weekend causing sync errors. These had to be fixed on the Logos end.

If Logos speeds up significantly by running Logos off-line (hold down the CTRL key as Logos starts, and press the "Work off-line" button), the issue is likely with sync mechanism.

If Logos does work better in off-line mode, or if it doesn't, please enable logging by carefully following all the instructions in the following link : http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging

Then run Logos as you normally do. Let it finish all it's startup routine. Feel free to use it for a while, if you want. Then close Logos4. Make sure to post all  the log and txt files here for review. Post the logs before restarting Logos4

Here are the Wiki instructions for how to upload logs. http://wiki.logos.com/Uploading_Logs

The logs might help diagnose the problem, or they might not. If this is a server issue, the logs might confirm that and the Logos techs may be able to fix it, if problems really are on their end. If there's some other issue, that may be uncovered by the logs too. I'm somewhat hopeful, because your experience isn't normal. For nearly everyone Logos updates increase speed, and I'm not aware of others who have the issues you describe.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 6717
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 3 2012 11:58 AM

Just downloaded and indexed the update. One system is a i5 processor 2.5 GHz and finished it in no time, even though it has a 5400 rpm The other system has a pentium dual core 3.2 processor. The desktop with the slower processor is still indexing even though it started first, and the i5 processor has finished a long time ago. The desktop with the faster HDD 7500 rpm is at 60% complete.

The processor can really make a difference. The Windows Experience Index on the i5 is 5.9 compared to the 3.5 Windows Experience Index on the desktop with the faster HDD.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 132
George T. Kelley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 3 2012 12:01 PM

I did start with the CTRL key and it did start in about thirty seconds and I guess I am using Logos wrong, after reading the wiki. I guess I like too many of the bells and whistles; I will have decide which ones I really need or are important and which I can get otherwise.

With any other program I would simply reload the program, but with Logos that would be a project.

George T

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 3 2012 1:12 PM

George T.:
I did start with the CTRL key and it did start in about thirty seconds and I guess I am using Logos wrong, after reading the wiki. I guess I like too many of the bells and whistles; I will have decide which ones I really need or are important and which I can get otherwise.

Note that not everyone experiences the slow down issues you have. There are some unknowns related to Logos4 and speed that are still beyond explanation. So some folks need to do what you describe, others find that Logos hums right along, no matter how many filters, guides and notes they have going on. Yes, I know. It's strange.

George T.:
With any other program I would simply reload the program, but with Logos that would be a project.

If you mean uninstall and reinstall, you're right. Not only that, it wouldn't be likely to help, since all your documents, visual filters, guides, layouts, settings, etc., would still be downloaded to your new installation. For now, your best strategy is to turn off and/or close what you're not using.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 3187
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 4 2012 7:43 AM

Hi George T,

I'm sorry Logos 4 is not performing as quickly as you would expect. There is a lot that goes into opening a saved layout depending on the complexity and size of it, but we won't be able to assess whether or not your experience is expected behavior under the circumstances or not without looking at it directly. If you call us at 800-875-6467 we can set up a support session for you and take a look. 

Posts 291
Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 4 2012 4:46 PM

Really doesn't make a lot of sense. I am running an i5 2500K CPU with 16 gig of RAM and a mediocre SSD. My load time is 15 seconds. And that is totally up and ready to use. I have three monitors and several resources opening up at startup- I wonder if there isn't some hardware issue affecting your performance.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 4 2012 7:12 PM

This doesn't quite sound like the performance issue some of us are having on Mac, but just in case, since it's so simple: try clearing History (Tools > History > Clear).

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 2878
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 5 2012 7:00 AM

George T.:
With every update Logos gets slower and slower. This last one for Faithlife Study Bible makes Logos 4 the slowest program on my computer. This morning I launched Logos, made a cup of coffee and came back, usually it is loaded by this time, but it was still in its first stage of loading

I don't know what the problem may have been that made your start up so slow.  Perhaps the program was indexing or downloading resorces?

Anyway, I just started my laptop and then started Logos.  It took 19 seconds from the moment that I clicked on the Logos icon until it was up and ready to go.  I closed Logos, then started it again.  This time it took 13 seconds until it was up and ready to go.  That is on my laptop, which has an i7 processor and 8 gig of ram.  I barely had time to open my Dr. Pepper (diet) - don't do coffee.  (Perhaps if you switched to Dr. Pepper it might speed up Logos.  Just my personal experience.) Wink

Seriously, you might contact Logos techs and see if they can help configure your machine for more speed.  Something must be causing your results.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 164
DivineCordial | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 5 2012 3:23 PM

Have you defragmented the hard disk since updating Logos?

Logos 9 | Faithlife Connect Essentials
27" Win10 (20H2) AMD FX-8350 (4GHz) 16GB DDR3 2x500SSD 1x240SSD 2x3TBHDD
rMBP13" macOS 10.15.7 i7 (2.9GHz) 8GB DDR3 512SSD
iPadPro (2020) iPadOS 14.5 | iPhoneXR iOS 14.5

Posts 132
George T. Kelley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 5 2012 4:52 PM

I deleted the history, the hard drive was already defrag (defraged it again), etc. It will load the second time in about 15sec., but after a boot around 45-60 seconds to open home page. The layouts are still just as slow, but I have not tried turning all the features off. However, many of these that they (wiki) suggested as ways of speeding up the process I use.

George T

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS