Top 3 Commentaries

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 28 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 7
Scott Tidwell | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 8 2012 3:18 PM

What are your top 3 commentaries you use for sermon building?

Posts 8140
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 8 2012 9:24 PM

1.  Pillar's NT Commentary

2.  College Press OT & NT

3.  Expositor's Bible Commentary

Plus, the Bible along with the TSK for good cross references to see what other passages say.  Other's I've had in the past and plan to add them again (maybe)...NIVAC OT & NT, BECNT, and now that they are sold separately slowly start with NICNT & NICOT; but we'll see.  I'm not in full time ministry anymore, so it's kind of hard to invest on something you don't use as often anymore.

Blessings!

DAL

Ps. I do wish Logos still sold NIV84 Bible.  I don't understand why the publishers wanted it removed.

Posts 9481
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 8 2012 9:37 PM

If I could only have three sets the top two would be easy:

New International Commentaries (OT/NT)

Word Biblical Commentary

The third, not so easy.

New American, Pillar, New International Greek Testament Commentary, and the NIV Application Commentary (OT only) would all be vying for third position.Probably New American would win out solely based on the number of Biblical books covered.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 24768
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 9 2012 3:10 AM

I would probably go with

• New International Commentary (Old and New Testament)
  • New American Commentary
  • Preaching the Word

Posts 117
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 9 2012 5:04 AM

DAL:
Ps. I do wish Logos still sold NIV84 Bible.  I don't understand why the publishers wanted it removed.
If I may ask, What do you miss about it? I have both, but don't see a great difference.

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 9 2012 5:10 AM

Paul C:
a great difference.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 50
john nerdue | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 9 2012 5:11 AM

I use three categories of commentaries based on Morris Proctors recommendations. So I would need to know what category you were talking about. I will give you my three from each category for a total of 9 (a couple have only New Testament and so I sometimes use another set so the total is actually 11. The Titles are in order of my favorite. So #1 is my top choice from each category.

Language commentaries

1.      UBS Handbook series (Old and New Testament)

2.      Word Biblical Commentary (Old and New Testament)

3.      A Textual Guide to the New Testament

Expository commentaries

1.      The College Press NIV Commentary (Old and New Testament)

2.      The Expositor’s Bible Commentary (Old and New Testament)

3.      The New American Commentary (Old and New Testament) OR Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament

Devotional/application commentaries

1.      NIV Application Commentary (New Testament – I don’t have the Old Testament)

2.      Holman New Testament Commentary OR Tyndale Commentary (Old and New Testament)

3.      N.T. Wright’s “For Everyone” series (New Testament)

See also James Chaisson's blog post for more helpful resources:

http://www.james-chaisson.blogspot.com/2012/09/some-helpful-resources.html

Posts 450
Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 9 2012 5:20 AM

Mark Smith:

If I could only have three sets the top two would be easy:

New International Commentaries (OT/NT)

Word Biblical Commentary

The third, not so easy.

New American, Pillar, New International Greek Testament Commentary, and the NIV Application Commentary (OT only) would all be vying for third position.Probably New American would win out solely based on the number of Biblical books covered.

I think Mark put it right on the dot for me. I would potentially add Baker/Tyndale as third options. I bounce around between Pillar, NA, Baker, Tyndale, NIGTC depending on what book I'm reading and the insight I can gain from the commentator. Once the EEC if finished, I may have my overall solid third but that will be quite a while. I really enjoy the James layout. I'm getting EBC when it comes out at the end of the month so maybe that will tide me over Big Smile

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 9 2012 9:33 AM

My list would never be the same...It depends on the book that Im studying.

Posts 8140
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 9 2012 10:56 AM

Jerry M:

Paul C:
a great difference.

DevilZip it!Wink

Posts 452
Is Mebin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 9 2012 2:19 PM

Yes, depends on what book...and which part of Scripture.

Posts 961
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 9 2012 6:37 PM

Preacher's commentary

Preach the Word

MacArthur

Focus on the Bible

Warren Weirsbe

NIV Application 

sorry, couldn't get it to 3

Posts 961
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 9 2012 6:38 PM

Mark Smith:
NIV Application Commentary (OT only)

is the NT not any good?

Posts 961
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 9 2012 6:39 PM

Mark Smith:
Word Biblical Commentary

My dad used to day we don't all see things alike. this one is too technical for me. i have it but rarely use it. 

Posts 9481
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 9 2012 7:13 PM

Josh Hunt:
is the NT not any good?

To tell the truth I am at the point of picking individual commentaries after trying to read reviews and recommendations. The compiled reviews for the OT commentaries is much higher than for the NT on bestcommentaries.com. http://www.bestcommentaries.com/series/niv-application-commentary-nivac/

Add to that a surfeit of riches in NT commentaries, I was interested in picking up the OT set. I got it at a good price during the Christmas sale last year.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9481
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 9 2012 7:17 PM

Josh Hunt:
My dad used to day we don't all see things alike. this one is too technical for me. i have it but rarely use it. 

Well I groan at the format. The series is quite uneven, but at $399 (for which it seemed to be offered for sale often at one time) it was worth having the coverage. I have found some volumes to be quite useful, others not worth consulting.

I'm fortunate enough to have enough commentaries I can use the 'best' I have on each book and avoid the ones that are weaker. Not everyone can afford this, nor is it an approach that appeals to everyone, but I count myself blessed to be able to do this after many, many years, and it suits me fine.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2883
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 10 2012 9:00 AM

1. New International Commentary OT / NT

2. Word Biblical Commentary  (might use Pillar Commentaries or ICC instead)

3. Something a bit more expository  - The Preacher's Commentary, Wiersbe, Boice, N. T. Wright's for Everyone Commentaries, John MacArthur

I generally check out the Ancient Christian Commentary as well,  Might also use the Tyndale Commentaries, but you asked for three.

Also, if Martyn Lloyd-Jones preached / wrote on the passage, be certain to read him.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 117
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 10 2012 9:54 AM

Michael Childs:
but you asked for three.
Not bad at all...He asked for 3....You narrowed it down to a dozen.Stick out tongue

Posts 483
Gary Butner, Th.D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 11 2012 1:38 PM

NICOT/NICNT

Pillar

Word

Posts 32528
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 11 2012 1:44 PM

Hermeneia

Sacra Pagina/Olem Berit

JPS

Anchor

(I get four since one isn't in Logos)

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS