What book should I buy.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1000
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 9 2012 2:24 PM

Like a lot of pastors I buy a lot of books. When I bought a Kindle 3 years ago I shifted to buying all Kindle books. I currently have 950 Kindle books. Recently, I have discovered Vyrso books at about the same price with these advantages:

• Can still read on my Kindle Fire.
  • All Scripture are index into the Logos world.
  • Books are searchable using Logos powerful search technology. 
  • The copy and paste works much better. I write Sunday School lessons for a living and often include excerpts from books. 
  • In short, Logos is much better for research and I can still read on my Fire

So, I am ready to make the plunge to all Vyrso/ Logos books. However. . . 

I was wanting this book. http://www.logos.com/product/26689/hell-under-fire-modern-scholarship-reinvents-eternal-punishment

This looks like this is the same book as http://www.amazon.com/Hell-Real-Everyone-Heaven-ebook/dp/B0054K8U8U/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1349817467&sr=1-2&keywords=hell+morgan

(I am not completely sure of this. This book is a collection of articles. the authors and order has changed but it appears to be more or less the same.)

The Kindle books is $9. the Logos books is $20. I'd like to get loyal to Logos/Vyrso and buy all my books there. I am a good customer; I buy about a book a day. However, when the books are double the price I am not so sure. 

Posts 73
Matthew Godwin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 9 2012 2:37 PM

They don't seem to be the same to me - Amazon book, 96pp, Vyrso 256pp...

Posts 12158
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 9 2012 2:49 PM

Matthew Godwin:

I wanted to say exactly the same. It seems someone took nearly all the good scholarship out of "hell under fire" (such as Moo, Block, Beale) and all that could be challenging (such as Annihilism) and only left Keller - and Mohler for those who can stand him - and somewhat rephrased the text to ride on the anti-Rob-Bell-wave.

I would buy the Amazon one only if it was one of those 0.99 deals.  

By the way, the other one is no Vyrso book, but a real Logos production. Clear decision where the value is, imho. EDIT: Amazon has "hell under Fire" as well - as a dead-tree-book only, if I see correct - and you can compare the TOCs and the reviewer's comments.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 9 2012 3:20 PM

I don't think they are the same. Regardless, I am almost always willing to pay a premium to get a book in Logos instead of Kindle for multiple reasons:

1. Bible references are linked
2. Searchable
3. Integrates into the environment in which I do all of my study/sermon prep and the vast majority of my reading making finding a quote, making a clipping, or storing highlights most efficient
4. I am supporting Logos 

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 29918
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 9 2012 3:27 PM

They seem like different books to me, Josh. Speaking on more general terms... I have found that MOST Vyrso books are competitive with the market, including Amazon. Some are actually a bit cheaper from time to time. Amazon, however, is a behemoth willing to LOSE money on books in an effort to gain market share. Amazon has single handedly put a number of brick and mortar stores out of business. If a book is similarly priced, I will always buy the Vyrso edition. If I REALLY need the book, and if the price difference is great enough, I will buy elsewhere. I am not going to squabble over $18 vs. $20... but I will purchase elsewhere if 1) the savings is significant enough and 2) I need the book right away.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1000
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 9 2012 6:27 PM

NB.Mick:
By the way, the other one is no Vyrso book, but a real Logos production.

What is the difference between a Vyros book and a logos production?

Posts 1000
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 9 2012 6:28 PM

alabama24:
I am not going to squabble over $18 vs. $20... but I will purchase elsewhere if 1) the savings is significant enough

I agree. I have a strong bias toward buying a Vyrso / Logos book. . . but not at double the price. 

Posts 1000
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 9 2012 6:33 PM

Matthew Godwin:

I believe you are right; i stand corrected. Curious the Timothy Keller chapter in the Amazon book is not in the Logos book. 

Posts 29918
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 9 2012 7:31 PM

Josh Hunt:
What is the difference between a Vyros book and a logos production?

A "Vryso" edition is a "plain jane" eBook which has undergone an automated process to be compatible with your Logos library. A Vyrso edition does have hyperlinks to scriptures... most of which work properly (remember... its an automated process). A "Logos" edition is a "value added" resource, which has been tagged to other books in your library.

In my opinion, books like Deep and Wide are great for Vyrso... there isn't much of a need for hand tagging. By using the automated process, the book is made available MUCH sooner and at less expense. A commentary or systematic theology, on the other hand, I would want as a "Logos" edition.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1000
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 10 2012 8:59 AM

alabama24:
which has been tagged to other books in your library.

What does that mean?

Posts 159
David Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 15 2012 1:19 PM

It's the same as being tagged to a Bible, except it's to other books. For example, if you hover over a Bible reference, the text of that ref will pop up for you to read. If a writer quotes, say, from Bunyan's 'Pilgrim's Progress' and there is a superscript letter (or similar) in blue at the end of it, and assuming you have Bunyan's book in your library, hovering over the superscript will bring up the quotation from that book. If you don't have it, that link will not show anything.

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 15 2012 1:36 PM

David Matthew:

It's the same as being tagged to a Bible, except it's to other books. For example, if you hover over a Bible reference, the text of that ref will pop up for you to read. If a writer quotes, say, from Bunyan's 'Pilgrim's Progress' and there is a superscript letter (or similar) in blue at the end of it, and assuming you have Bunyan's book in your library, hovering over the superscript will bring up the quotation from that book. If you don't have it, that link will not show anything.

Also, if the hand tagging is done thoroughly, even if the Logos book author mentions another book by title only without a footnote, it will be hotlink that will let you jump to that book if you have it in your Logos library. Or if it's not a work that Logos carries, at least you can get bibliographic info by hovering over it. For example,

Something else to note, though, is that regardless of whether a book is a Logos edition or Vyrso ebook edition, you can always right-click on any untagged word and get the Logos context menu which lets you do useful things like look up that word in one of your prioritized Bible dictionaries, search for it in your entire library, or do a Power Lookup:

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS