Command box is a quick way to do things

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1627
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Oct 12 2012 6:06 PM

If you are not yet using the Command Box (next to Tools menu), give it a try.
Once you become familiar with your library, this thing is seriously useful.

Perhaps others can add examples of how they use this feature too.
Here are the kinds of things I often do:

esv -- open the English Standard Version bible.

nlt to Psa 19 1  -- open the New Living Translation to Psalm 19:1

nrsv to sir 51 8  -- open the New Revised Standard Version to Sirach 51:8 (Apocrypha)

lxx to ex 20  -- open the Septuagint to Exodus 20

isbe to Jerusalem  -- open the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia to the article on 'Jerusalem.'

coed to sapiential  -- look up the Compact Oxford English Dictionary entry on 'sapiential.'

carson to Jn 11 1  -- open the commentary by D A Carson on John's gospel, to John 11:1

131 christians to Anselm  -- open 131 Christians Everyone Should Know to the article on Anselm.

jets 53 -- open the Journal of Evangelical Theological Society Volume 53.

piper -- open the book by John Piper, to the page you were up to.

piper to 25  -- open the John Piper book to page 25.

institutes in new window  -- open Institutes of Religion (John Calvin) in a floating window

biblical places to ephesus -- open a map showing Ephesus.

projector -- load the Layout you saved with the name "projector."

open articles -- open my Notes file named "Articles."

update now -- tell Logos 4 to find the book I just bought, and download it.

For a more detailed list, see:
http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4_Commands 

I don't see a recent thread on this, so hopefully this will help some newer users. Other helpful suggestions very welcome too.

Posts 26118
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 12 2012 6:16 PM

very useful - some I didn't know I could do.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 12 2012 6:51 PM

Allen Browne:
nlt to Psa 19 1

Didn't know I could use space instead of colon or comma. That's going to be very useful with a Swedish keyboard.

Hadn't thought about opening layouts and files this way either. Though as a Mac user I'm generally a mouse person.

Allen Browne:
Other helpful suggestions very welcome too.

Might be worth pointing out that one can add abbreviated titles to books that don't have such, making it easier to open them this way.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 9913
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 13 2012 5:40 AM

fgh:
Might be worth pointing out that one can add abbreviated titles to books that don't have such, making it easier to open them this way.

Very helpful and comes right in time! I knew about that, but totally forgot.

Yesterday I was rabbit-trailed from a suggestion for Rogers/McKim to Grudems ST (I have in paper). Grudem refers to J.I.Packer's "Inerrancy" article in NDT. NDT - I somehow recall this short title. Isn't it in Logos? Library knows no such thing. My paper library doesn' have it. I look up on Logos.com - no NDT. Nothing remotely correct in the first half dozen search hits there for New Dictionary of Theology either (should've scrolled on or used quotes). Look amazon - yes, this cover looks familiar - isn't it as black as all the IVP Dictionaries? But then I do have the Essential IVP Reference Collection! Luckily the box is nearby - sure, NDT is there! Back to Logos library - yes "new dictionary of theology" will yield it.

Today, after you reminded us here, I checked that about half of the IVP Ref Collection (I find them through mytags) has no short title, even though they are regularly abbreviated. I just remedied that.

Afterthought: wouldn't it be nice if Logos broke up this collection? And if Logos.com searches would find common abbreviations, or even misspellings rather than claim "we don't have this"?

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 753
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 13 2012 8:26 AM

how would I find the code to a particular book? Say I wanted to know how to open NIV84 and it wasn't NIV84?

this is helpful by the way. 

Posts 9913
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 13 2012 10:18 AM

Josh Hunt:
how would I find the code to a particular book? Say I wanted to know how to open NIV84 and it wasn't NIV84?

I think with "code" in the context of this thread you mean the short title? You may use the long one. Or a part of it. Logos will try to parse your command into something it understands and give a list of near-lying options below the command box - otherwise it will offer to search for what you input. 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 582
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 13 2012 1:38 PM

Josh Hunt:

In addition, if you don't know what short titles certain resources have, you can find them in your library. Open the Information display -- the Short Title follows the title of the resource. You can add one if it doesn't have one, or you can edit the one that's there.

πάντα εἰς δόξαν θεοῦ ποιεῖτε

Posts 4877
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 13 2012 1:54 PM

Allen Browne:

If you are not yet using the Command Box (next to Tools menu), give it a try.
Once you become familiar with your library, this thing is seriously useful.

For a more detailed list, see:

http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4_Commands 

I don't see a recent thread on this, so hopefully this will help some newer users. Other helpful suggestions very welcome too.

Thanks Allen,  I hadn't taken up usage of all of these,  but will have to start implementing some more.

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 13 2012 2:07 PM

Allen Browne:
others can add examples
Thanks Allen for the reminder of the power of the command bar.  Another powerful command used to open links to all your Bible dictionaries to a topic is for example.  topic:hell    If the search doesn't have Entire Library selected then you must select it.  Of course the list of links to your dictionaries is under topic in the search results.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS