Logos4 on 64bit Windows7

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 23 2009 10:11 PM

do any of you Logos users run 64bit Windows7?  I am thinking of buying a new laptop and wanted to get 32 bit OS, but all the vendors I looked at have ONLY 64bit Windows7.  Now is Logos4 a 64 bit program or do you have to run it in "compatibility mode?"

What are your general impressions of Logos4' performance under 64bit OS?  Any snags so far?  I would also be interested to hear from people that recently upgraded their OS: what is the perceivable difference between running Logos4 on XP and Win7?

Vladimir

Posts 3
Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2009 10:16 PM

Not sure what to say. I have windows 7 64 and the program seems to run okay, but I cannot get the copy bible verse icon to show up in the notification area. I've gone into the set up and it is not even there.

Posts 59
Eric Ruhnow | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2009 10:28 PM

Logos is a 32bit program, but runs fine under Windows 7, if you have the horsepower.

I am running Win7 x64 on a nettop that does not really have the horsepower to run L4 well, but I haven't run across any compatibility issues running under 64bit Windows.

Lenovo TS130 Xeon E3-1245V2 | 20GB | 256 GB SSD (OS and Logos) | 3TB WD Red | Windows 10 Pro x64

L4 & L5 Platinum, L6 Gold, L5 Reformed Gold, L6 Reformed Bronze, L7 Lutheran Silver, L7 Reformed Starter, L7 Full Feature Set

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 23 2009 11:09 PM

VladimirLukyanov:
What are your general impressions of Logos4' performance under 64bit OS?  Any snags so far?  I would also be interested to hear from people that recently upgraded their OS: what is the perceivable difference between running Logos4 on XP and Win7?

Logos4 runs great on Win7 64. No question.

There is only one major issue I have with the 64bit environment and that has to do with music production. There aren't any really good midi synths that work with the 64bit Windows environment. This includes both SoundBlaster and Roland midi synths.

There may be other legacy programs that won't work in the 64bit environment as well. If there are any programs you use regularly that are critical, research them.

Otherwise go for it.  64bit is the way software is going these days.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 1:23 AM

stevelarson:
I cannot get the copy bible verse icon to show up in the notification area. I've gone into the set up and it is not even there.

Exactly, this has been replace by Tools -> Passage -> Copy Bible Verses in Logos4.

I would argue that Logos4 would run better in a 64bit environment since a 32bit OS cannot reference more than 3-3.5gb of RAM...

Posts 15
Graham Keys | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 1:26 AM

I do, I  run it on windows 7 64 and it runs sweet as. 

Posts 1764
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 1:34 AM

VladimirLukyanov:

do any of you Logos users run 64bit Windows7?  ... what is the perceivable difference between running Logos4 on XP and Win7?

Go for it! Logos 4 runs fine on Win7 64-bit.

The main advantage is if you have > 4MB RAM.

Posts 97
Greg Gray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 3:54 AM

I am running both windows 7 32bit and 64bit on my laptop.  Both are resent clean installs, and I have less problems and better responsiveness on the 64bit install.  

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 5:36 AM

I'm running Win 7 64x Home Premium (2.66 Quad core, 6 GB ram) and Logos works great.

Posts 188
Kevin Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 1:42 PM

I would say that absolutely 100% go with x64 Win 7 over x86.  64 bit offers much greater speed overall due to the ability to make greater use of RAM you have installed in your PC.  With Windows 7 32 bit you are maxed at 4 Gigs of RAM with Win 7 64 bit the OS can actually use up to 192 GB of RAM based on the motherboard of course.  Also the 64 bit version has overall faster processing power over 32 bit.

64 bit is the way to go...  I have Win 7 Ultimate x64 with 4 Gigs of RAM on my main PC and compared to my Vista and Win XP 32 bit installs there is no comparison.  Logos 4 definitely benefits from greater RAM when searching and indexing.

Logos 5, Windows & Android perfect together....

Posts 29
Jerry Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 3:03 PM

I've got L4 on two 64 bits laptops - one with 3 GB of memory and my main machine with 5 GB - It is generally fast and smooth on the 5 GB but sometimes slower on the 3 GB

Posts 3760
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 3:09 PM

VladimirLukyanov:
what is the perceivable difference between running Logos4 on XP and Win7?

Since Logos is a 32 bit app, the main difference will be the horsepower of the new machine, including the memory. Unless you get a significantly faster processor, the main advantage of a 64 bit machine is to overcome the 32bit o/s limitation on memory it can address (around 3.5Gb).

And, Logos has a preference for large amounts of memory (4Gb or more), faster processor (I7 chipset or better), & the largest fast disk you can afford (on setup, large packagesconsumed 10Gb  or more on the download & the disk) .

Blessings to you!

Bill

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
iPad 9th Gen iOS 15.6, 256GB

Posts 21
Todd Brooks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 3:52 PM

I'm running Win7 x64 Ultimate, quad core with 12GB RAM.  Unfortunately, I'm just running RAID 5 on spindle drives, so I get envious when I see the start up and search times in the training vids ;)  They HAVE got to be using SSDs for those speeds :)

Really, it's a combination of RAM and hard drive speed.  5400rpm drives on laptops will give you slow search times as the drives pull the data out and stuff into RAM.  Too little RAM (ie., < 4GB) and you will be doing a lot of swapping with the OS.

But I wholeheartedly agree with others, go with x64 Windows 7.

Posts 1055
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 13 2010 2:50 PM

Are Logos going to produce a 64-bit version?

I think it will be faster if it does, right? running the 32-bit Logos on a 64-bit windows should be slower than 32-bit on 32-bit, right?

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 13 2010 3:44 PM

Kolen Cheung:

I think it will be faster if it does, right? running the 32-bit Logos on a 64-bit windows should be slower than 32-bit on 32-bit, right?

For most of us, running L4 on a 64bit OS is faster than running L4 on a 32bit OS. I'm not sure why. I suppose that a 64bit version of Logos would run even faster on a 64bit OS.

I'm not aware of any plans by Logos to produce a 64bit version of L4. I would be surprised if they would before finishing the 32bit version (see what's Missing below), as well as the Mac version.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 13 2010 7:30 PM

Richard DeRuiter:

Kolen Cheung:

For most of us, running L4 on a 64bit OS is faster than running L4 on a 32bit OS. I'm not sure why. I suppose that a 64bit version of Logos would run even faster on a 64bit OS.

I'm not aware of any plans by Logos to produce a 64bit version of L4. I would be surprised if they would before finishing the 32bit version (see what's Missing below), as well as the Mac version.

On the flip side, there is no real good reason not to do it right away.  Producing a native 64-bit version by-and-large takes nothing more than a simple recompile of the code with a 64-bit compiler.  HOWEVER, in my experience (granted I'm a relatively light user compared to many here) I've never seen Logos use enough RAM while running to indicate that it would see any immediate benefit from being 64-bit.

Posts 1055
Kolen Cheung | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 13 2010 8:30 PM

Ronald S Keyston Jr:
I've never seen Logos use enough RAM while running

Do you mean the 3.3GB barrier?

My Logos never use that much too.

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 13 2010 9:10 PM

Kolen Cheung:

Ronald S Keyston Jr:
I've never seen Logos use enough RAM while running

Do you mean the 3.3GB barrier?

My Logos never use that much too.

Right, that's the point that I'm making.  If Logos was consistently using 2.5-3GB or more of RAM while running, then there would definitely be a benefit to moving to 64-bit immediately...but I've never seen it use more than a couple hundred MB on my system (which has 8GB of RAM and Win7 64-bit)

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 13 2010 9:12 PM

Oh, and in answer to your other question Kolen (about running faster if it were 64-bit) that is not necessarily true.  There are a number of cases where a 64-bit version of a program will actually run slightly slower than its 32-bit version due to the added overhead of 64-bit.  There should be little if any difference though between running a 32-bit program on a 64-bit OS vs running a 32-bit program on a 32-bit OS, all other things being equal.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS