Inside Microsoft Surface - Needs Logos!

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1993
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 16 2012 10:15 AM

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/16/3511002/microsoft-surface-inside-look-history

I'll confess to having been ambivalent about Windows 8 and particularly Microsoft's vision of how it would be used on tablet devices. Reading this article, though, makes me want to at least try one of the new Surface tablets.

Of course, I'm only going to get one if I can run Logos (full or app) on it. Bob, Bradley, et al: Time to get busy! ;)

Donnie

Posts 26688
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 16 2012 2:19 PM

Donnie Hale:
I'm only going to get one if I can run Logos (full or app) on it.

You currently need the Surface Pro which runs Windows 8.

The Surface RT will need an app from Logos, which they have hinted is possible

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 6720
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 16 2012 2:28 PM

Dave Hooton:
You currently need the Surface Pro which runs Windows 8.

Any idea of the cost? The idea of a tablet, Keyboard and Full Logos software is very interesting.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 16 2012 2:53 PM

Lynden Williams:
Any idea of the cost?
I don't believe they have released price info on the Surface Pro yet.  I want mine with the maximum amount of memory and a keyboard, so I figure I will have to set aside no less than $900.  My wife will inherit my iPad.  Sorry fellas.

BTW I hope Logos 5 has some touch screen capability.  Bob you know this is the future :-)

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 29467
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 16 2012 3:07 PM

Jerry M:
BTW I hope Logos 5 has some touch screen capability.

I wouldn't count on a feature being available soon based upon a platform which hasn't been released yet...

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 16 2012 3:17 PM

alabama24:

Jerry M:
BTW I hope Logos 5 has some touch screen capability.

I wouldn't count on a feature being available soon based upon a platform which hasn't been released yet...

The Surface Pro will run Logos 4 as it is right now, as I understand it.  Other users who have been running L4 on  touch screen slates have already been asking for the interface to be more accommodating to touch screens.  Walmart is now carrying touch screen computers All-in-ones or whatever they call them.  I wasn't referring to a Logos app.  Did I miss something?

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 29467
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 16 2012 3:53 PM

Jerry M:
The Surface Pro will run Logos 4 as it is right now, as I understand it.

As I understand it, the surface pro hasn't been released yet. Wink

Jerry M:
Walmart is now carrying touch screen computers All-in-ones or whatever they call them

They stink. Touch screen desktops are a gimmick.

I'll preface my comments by admitting that I am an Apple fan. There are many reasons for my loyalty to Apple, but a major one is design. In my opinion, desktop apps will NOT make good "touch" apps… which will have to be built from the ground up… at least UI wise. Furthermore, I don't know what the specs are on these devices, but I am doubting that it will come close to what is needed for a good experience with L4/L5. Even today, there were users complaining about the lack of certain features on the mobile app… but the hardware just isn't capable (yet) of doing what they want to do within the Logos environment. (Consider how large your index file is, for example). 

I know that there are "touchscreen laptops" out there… I don't consider those tablets. They are hybrids. I will let others decide for themselves their value. My opinion about them is similar to my dad's poor choice of the Ford Explorer Sport Trax. Half Truck - Half Sport Utility. All the cons of both and except in rare instances, the benefits of neither.

EDIT: Thinking a little bit more about it, I think that Logos could (in the future) build an app which could change its UI based upon its context. (The iOS app, for example, knows if it is being used on an iPad or an iPhone and displays appropriately). I don't anticipate Logos spending much time on this presently (nor do I think they should – at least until there is a market for it), but it could be very beneficial in the future. Smile

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 16 2012 4:13 PM

alabama24:
As I understand it, the surface pro hasn't been released yet
But we already have Logos 4 users using Windows 8.

alabama24:
I'll preface my comments by admitting that I am an Apple fan
You shouldn't let that color your comments.

alabama24:
Furthermore, I don't know what the specs are on these devices, but I am doubting that it will come close to what is needed for a good experience with L4/L5.
I believe that to be incorrect.  They are probably equal to your regular Mac. Google it.

Come on Alabama you can do better than that! 

Posts 204
David Salazar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 16 2012 8:19 PM

Doubt that most people think that they will get the same power as a desktop (even a laptop) on the surface pro tablet.

There are things that a desktop makes so much easier than a laptop. The obvious advantage of a laptop is size which = mobility.  Tablets provide even more mobility but ultimately take a hit on power.

I have a tablet already so even though I'd really like the Surface Pro currently I will not be getting it.  Having legacy programs will make life a lot easier when I'm going out somewhere and light productivity is needed and I wouldn't have to haul the laptop.   Even if more extensive productivity is needed, while not being ideal, the Surface Pro would be great to have.

Posts 29467
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 16 2012 8:41 PM

Jerry M:
I believe that to be incorrect.  They are probably equal to your regular Mac. Google it.

Too lazy, but more than willing to read any articles that you find for me. Stick out tongue

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 16 2012 9:09 PM

I would assume the processor uses thread technology to make it fast and the hard drive would also be fast.  I don't see anything to slow it down too much, but then I am not a techie. Oh and did I mention it will have digital inking?  What about those ports!

OS

Runs current Windows 7 desktop applications and integrates with your existing enterprise management infrastructure. Use the programs and the apps available in the Windows Store.

Exterior

10.81 x 6.81 x 0.53in 
2lbs
VaporMg casing
Dark Titanium color
Volume and Power buttons

Storage

64GB*, 128GB
*1GB = 1 billion bytes; formatted storage capacity may be less

Display

10.6" ClearType Full HD Display
1920x1080 pixels
16:9 (widescreen)
10-point multi-touch

Pen Input

Pen input and pen (included with purchase)

CPU

3rd Gen Intel Core i5 Processor with Intel HD Graphics 4000
4GB RAM—Dual Channel Memory

Wireless

Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy technology

Battery

42 W-h

Cameras and A/V

Two 720p HD LifeCams, front- and rear-facing with TruColor
Microphone, 
Stereo speakers

Ports

Full-size USB 3.0
microSDXC card slot
Headset jack
Mini DisplayPort 
Cover port

Sensors

Ambient light sensor
Accelerometer
Gyroscope
Compass

Power Supply

48W power supply (including 5W USB for accessory charging)

Warranty

1-year limited hardware warranty

Apps (included)

Windows Mail and Messaging; SkyDrive; Internet Explorer 10; Bing; Xbox Music, Video, and Games.

Posts 938
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 17 2012 8:36 AM

The Surface RT's having only a 1366x768 display is a deal-breaker for me, and I'm not sure I want to spend the money for the Surface Pro. Frankly, it would be overkill for my tablet needs. Had the RT a "Retina-like" display, I would probably have pre-ordered.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 3168
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 17 2012 8:56 AM

Bill Moore:

The Surface RT's having only a 1366x768 display is a deal-breaker for me, and I'm not sure I want to spend the money for the Surface Pro. Frankly, it would be overkill for my tablet needs. Had the RT a "Retina-like" display, I would probably have pre-ordered.

Hi Bill,you could see this thread what Bradley has to say.http://community.logos.com/forums/t/53269.aspx

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 938
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 17 2012 10:39 AM

Hi Tes. Are you saying that the Surface RT would not run Logos anyway so its display doesn't matter? Bob indicated that Logos is working on a Windows 8 app.

Posts 29467
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 17 2012 10:52 AM

Bill Moore:
Are you saying that the Surface RT would not run Logos anyway so its display doesn't matter?

Yes, that is what he is saying. Not all "Windows 8" devices will run full fledged apps. The "Surface RT" isn't compatible with L4.

Posts 938
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 17 2012 11:16 AM

alabama24:

Bill Moore:
Are you saying that the Surface RT would not run Logos anyway so its display doesn't matter?

Yes, that is what he is saying. Not all "Windows 8" devices will run full fledged apps. The "Surface RT" isn't compatible with L4.

I don't understand the reason for Tes' post, then. As I indicated above, I'm not really interested in a tablet such as the Surface Pro that will run the full-blown L4. As I said, that is "overkill" for my needs and I don't want to spend money for what I don't perceive needing. I am interested in using a Logos app in the way that a Surface RT may, but the lack of a Retina-like display is a deal-breaker for me.

Interestingly, the Surface Pro is to have a more Retina-like display. Having enjoyed reading on my iPhone 4S, the RT's 1366x768 display is a non-starter.

Posts 3168
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 17 2012 11:26 AM

Bill Moore:
I don't understand the reason for Tes' post,

Sorry, it is my personal suggetion, based on what Bradely has said in the previous thread, I would better wait for the pro surface.so that I can use my entire Logos library.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 938
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 17 2012 11:40 AM

Tes:

Bill Moore:
I don't understand the reason for Tes' post,

Sorry, it is my personal suggetion, based on what Bradely has said in the previous thread, I would better wait for the pro surface.so that I can use my entire Logos library.

I agree, Tes, if you need access to Logos books on a tablet that are restricted when using the app, it is a good idea to wait for the Pro or another Windows 8 tablet such as Asus or Lenovo may produce. I am almost always on my notebook computer, so I don't perceive that to be a need for me.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS