Recommendations on Wesleyan Commentaries?

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1085
JohnB | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Oct 19 2012 7:06 AM

I am a Logos 'new boy' and am looking for a Wesleyan Commentary to provide a bit of balance.   8-)

I have spotted three so far, not sure if there are others :-

Wesleyan Bible Study Commentary Series

Eerdmans Wesleyan Bible Commentary

New Beacon Bible Commentary

I am not looking for an in-depth technical commentary set but ideally a decent application based one with a Wesleyan outlook.

Any thoughts?

Posts 356
Ralph Mauch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 19 2012 7:55 AM

Ben Witherington III has a couple commentaries that are Wesleyan based.

Posts 743
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 19 2012 8:26 AM

I have both the Wesleyan Bible Study Commentary Series and the New Beacon Bible Commentary and enjoy them both a great deal. You will not be sorry with either of those. You should know that there is an UPGRADE currently on pre-pub for the New Beacon Bible Commentary that may interest you.

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | 4 Portfolio | 5 Platinum | 6 Feature Crossgrade | 7 Essential | 8 M & W Platinum and Academic Professional | 9 Academic Professional and Messianic Jewish Diamond

Posts 2951
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 19 2012 9:35 AM

The sets you mention are all good sets.  Personally, I would look for any commentary by John Oswalt, Bill Arnold, Thomas Oden, Gareth Lee Cockerill, Maxie Dunnam, and maybe Ben Witherington.  They are some of my favorite Wesleyan scholars. 

I would also say the Preacher's Commentary set is surprisingly good in some books, and it is not very expensive.  It is more expository and geared to preparing a sermon that a scholarly critical commentary, but it is a good and useful bargain.  It has a number of Wesleyan writers.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 19 2012 10:27 AM

John Bunting:

I am a Logos 'new boy' and am looking for a Wesleyan Commentary to provide a bit of balance.   8-)

I have spotted three so far, not sure if there are others :-

Wesleyan Bible Study Commentary Series

Eerdmans Wesleyan Bible Commentary

New Beacon Bible Commentary

I am not looking for an in-depth technical commentary set but ideally a decent application based one with a Wesleyan outlook.

Any thoughts?

I have both the NBBC and the WBSCS… The NBBC is much more technical, the original BBC was very devotional in spirit and I liked it a lot. I think the NBBC is worth owning but based on your desires I would say WBSCS will meet your needs better, even though only 3 OT volumes exist. I have no experience with the EWBC so I can not give you a good evaluation on it's possibility for filling your needs.

-Dan

Posts 1085
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 20 2012 11:03 AM

Thanks very much for your comments.

It is a pity that no-one has experience of the Erdmans but I am tending towards the WBSCS.

I value the names of suggested commentators to watch out for and will do a bit of checking here.

I also like the writing of Ben Witherington – at least that which I have read.

Posts 2951
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 20 2012 7:24 PM

John Bunting:

Thanks very much for your comments.

It is a pity that no-one has experience of the Erdmans but I am tending towards the WBSCS.

I value the names of suggested commentators to watch out for and will do a bit of checking here.

I also like the writing of Ben Witherington – at least that which I have read.

John,

I use the Erdmans set, and I like it very much.  It is older, but good.  It has the best Wesleyan Scholarship of the 1960's and 1970's, and they were very good.  I expecially appreciate commentaries by the legendary Dennis Kenlaw, former President of Asbury College and a brilliant OT scholar.  I think you would like it, but it is not quite as up to date.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 1008
Josh Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 20 2012 7:59 PM

John Bunting:
I am a Logos 'new boy'

The packages are a pretty good deal. I worked my way through those first, upgrading to one after another. I never bought the last one. 

Posts 1085
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 21 2012 2:00 AM

Michael Childs:

John,

I use the Erdmans set, and I like it very much.  It is older, but good.  It has the best Wesleyan Scholarship of the 1960's and 1970's, and they were very good.  I expecially appreciate commentaries by the legendary Dennis Kenlaw, former President of Asbury College and a brilliant OT scholar.  I think you would like it, but it is not quite as up to date.

Michael, do you find it for application usage?

Posts 1085
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 21 2012 8:35 AM

I meant to ask HOW do you find it for application content please?

Posts 2951
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 22 2012 4:24 PM

John Bunting:
Michael, do you find it for application usage?

I find the Erdmans set about average for application.  It is great for Bible study and sermon preparation.  It was done before commentaries like the NIV Application Commentary were written.  So it doesn't have their emphasis on application.  But they are good practical commentaries.  Some of the scholars were my seminary professors, so I have a sentimental attachment to it.

Posts 1085
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 31 2012 10:12 AM

Thanks for the info.

I could do with a very big Christmas present this year - or rather several smaller ones!

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS