Creating New Paragraph Visual Filter?

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1268
Liam | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Oct 20 2012 11:08 AM

I noticed in the highlighting tool that there is a highlighter that allows you to basically place a return before and after the highlighted selection. What I want to do is just place a return before the selection. I can't find a way of doing this in the options for creating your own highlighting style. Does any one know if this is possible?

What I'm trying to do is create a visual filter that will allow me to see conjunctions easier for arcing (a lot like the HDNT). Basically I'm trying to create a new line when a causal conjunction (words like for or because), or an inference (therefore) occurs.

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 20 2012 1:22 PM

I don't know of a way to do what you are asking.  However, I believe you are talking about the Emphasis Markup called Newline Before And After.  If I understand you correctly, you can do what you are asking manually by highlighting the space before the conjunction and applying the Newline Before And After highlight.  I don't of any way to create this highlight style or apply the existing one in a visual filter to create this result.  You could use the visual filter to locate all the conjunctions and then highlight the space before them manually.  A lot more work, but I don't know any other way.  Perhaps this helped.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 32491
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 20 2012 1:40 PM

You mean something like this but without the second return? It's worth making the suggestion at suggestion@logos.com

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 20 2012 1:42 PM

Liam Walsh:
What I'm trying to do is create a visual filter that will allow me to see conjunctions easier for arcing

Personally have a conjunction visual filter with images superscript:

Visual Filters have option for text before, found a space caused before image to appear twice in ESV in Philippians 4:1, but only changed spacing in LDGNT:

Edit: duplicated style for "Newline Before and After" (had previously duplicated palette), then deleted label text after and added image before, and changed morph search for @CLI to use new style, which added a newline in ESV with image appearing twice:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1268
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 20 2012 7:15 PM

Wow! Awesome way to get around the system! I was able to so what I wanted to do! Works great. The only problem is that it is creating 2 images. One at the place where the text would have been, and one where the text is now. But hey, it works, and I can do what I wanted with the filter! Here's the end result:

Posts 44
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 23 2014 12:53 AM

Hi Liam,

I'm looking to do the same thing as you. Would you mind giving more details on how you did it?

Thanks,

Michael

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 23 2014 5:21 AM

Wiki => http://wiki.logos.com/Extended_Tips_for_Highlighting_and_Visual_Filters#Examples_of_visual_filters includes screen shot of Visual Filter with conjunction images plus if join Faithlife group Logos Visual Filters, can copy Highlighting palettes then Visual Filters by clicking Get Copy to the right of the desired document name followed by synchronizing Logos. Alternative is Select All then Action => Get Copies

Lexham Discourse Bible resources have line breaks

Noticed Notes attached to verse references appear by discourse markers.  Working on a another set of note documents with more allusions (circles) => OT Quotes in NT: follow-up  James 4:5 has an allusion to Exodus 20:5 with the color indicating major Bible groupings: e.g. Red for Torah and Gospels.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 44
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 23 2014 6:04 PM

Hi Keep Smiling,

Thanks for your quick reply! I have managed to attach images to the conjunctions as described in your posts, but where I get lost is how to insert a line break? I have tried duplicating the "Newline Before and After" style so that I can modify it, but the "duplicate" option is greyed out when I click on it.

I have had a look at the links you posted but am obviously missing something. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 23 2014 6:15 PM

Michael:
I have tried duplicating the "Newline Before and After" style so that I can modify it, but the "duplicate" option is greyed out when I click on it.

Logos provides four highlighting palettes whose styles cannot be modified (greyed out).  Suggest duplicating EMPHASIS MARKUP palette:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 44
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 23 2014 6:40 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Logos provides four highlighting palettes whose styles cannot be modified (greyed out).  Suggest duplicating EMPHASIS MARKUP palette

Thanks so much, that allowed me to do exactly what I was after:

God bless,

M.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 23 2014 7:15 PM

Michael:
Thanks so much, that allowed me to do exactly what I was after:

Caution: δὲ is never is the first word in a sentence.

Lexham Discourse Greek New Testament includes line breaks for conjunctions:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1268
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 23 2014 7:21 PM

Glad you were able to make it work Micheal! I find this filter is extremely useful for seeing the conjunctions for arcing!

Posts 44
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 23 2014 8:20 PM

Caution: δὲ is never is the first word in a sentence.

Thanks. Yes, I'm aware the postpositives aren't perfectly handled by this filter. I am only using it as a rough first-pass breakdown of the text, and use clausal outlines to refine it at a later stage of translation.

Lexham Discourse Greek New Testament includes line breaks for conjunctions:

Thanks for the tip. I may have to get it at some stage.

M.

Edit: corrected typo.

Posts 44
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 23 2014 8:23 PM

Thanks for allowing me to piggy-back off your thread. Smile

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS