Essential IVP Reference Collection and L4

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 2
Aaron Alvarez | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 24 2009 1:53 PM

Based on what I have seen on the forum postings there are some things still to come.  My question is that I have just bought L4 and have the essential IVP reference collection, is it yet possible to access the IVP collection from L4 or is it something I will need to wait for?  I would rather consolodate all my research into one place rather than looking here and in the other.

Aaron

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 1:55 PM

Aaron, all you have to do is sync your licences during the v3 install and when you next open v4 it will download the files for you.

Posts 2
Aaron Alvarez | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 6:16 PM

Not quite sure how that works.  My  IVP collection disk is v2 the libronix installed is v3 and I just purchased and installed Logos 4.  So where do I start?  L4 looks nice but is difficult to nav and seems to have taken control away from the user.

Posts 386
Clinton Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 6:47 PM

There might be a better way, but if you

1. install the V2 under L3;
  2. synchronize your licences in L3;
  3. then start L4, it should see it; and
  4. everything will be gr8.

Regards,

Clinton

Posts 709
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 6:52 PM

Actually, I think if you have every synchronized your licenses, L4 will download all your resources even with a clean install with no L3 on your computer.

It did that for me.

Posts 9542
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 7:28 PM

Russ Quinn:
Actually, I think if you have every synchronized your licenses, L4 will download all your resources even with a clean install with no L3 on your computer.

This is correct. The only way you might get messed up is if you never synchronized your licenses in 3.0 after loading the IVP. In that case you'd need to reload 3.0 and be sure the IVP collection is recognized, then synchronize your licenses, start 4.0 and let it discover your missing volumes and download them.

First, if you haven't done so, check your library in 4.0 to see if the IVP volumes are there.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 856
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 26 2009 6:40 PM

It's kind of strange that L4 cannot synch licences by itself. I guess this is a feature that is yet to come. 

Posts 10
Christopher Heil | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2009 3:50 PM

I have a quick question about this the Essential IVP Reference Collection and Logos 4.  Since installing Logos 4 (Bible Study Library Edition), I have had access to the New Testament Background Commentary and have really, really enjoyed it.  I do not think I had access to it previously in L3, but do not know for sure that it was not there and I just missed it.  I have not seen it listed in any of the L4 resource lists though so I am confused how I have access to it.

I would now really like to add the Old Testament Background Commentary to complete the set, but remember that the price of this Reference Collection was the same when I reviewed it months ago for L3.  Since I already have one of the books now, I do not know that I want to pay the same price I would have paid earlier this year for all the books.  I know Logos is doing a discount calculator on the Logos upgrade but what about other book sets?  I may make the purchase anyway as I liked the commentary that much, but I'm trying to save a little money at Christmas time!  :)

Posts 19364
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2009 5:25 PM

Christopher Heil:

I have a quick question about this the Essential IVP Reference Collection and Logos 4.  Since installing Logos 4 (Bible Study Library Edition), I have had access to the New Testament Background Commentary and have really, really enjoyed it.  I do not think I had access to it previously in L3, but do not know for sure that it was not there and I just missed it.  I have not seen it listed in any of the L4 resource lists though so I am confused how I have access to it.

I would now really like to add the Old Testament Background Commentary to complete the set, but remember that the price of this Reference Collection was the same when I reviewed it months ago for L3.  Since I already have one of the books now, I do not know that I want to pay the same price I would have paid earlier this year for all the books.  I know Logos is doing a discount calculator on the Logos upgrade but what about other book sets?  I may make the purchase anyway as I liked the commentary that much, but I'm trying to save a little money at Christmas time!  :)

That's strange. I don't see the IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament listed in any of the base packages. I don't know how you ended up with it if you never purchased the Essential IVP Reference Collection. Could be a felix culpa on the part of Logos. Do you have any of the other titles in this collection? The dictionaries in it are all excellent. Indispensable, I would say. Well worth the $129.95 for the whole package. I ordered it back ini 2007 for L3, and both the OT and NT Bible Background Commentaries are still accessible in L3, which I still have running on my computer. Odd that you'd only have one but not the other.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2009 5:41 PM

Christopher Heil:

This takes me back a ways, so I'm fairly uncertain, but my mostly vague memory, thinks that this may have been a resource released with the old Logos Lesson Builder. Did you ever have that installed? It was back in the L2 days.

But that's a long time ago. I could be remembering another similar resource.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2009 5:49 PM

Rosie Perera:
That's strange. I don't see the IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament listed in any of the base packages.

I know it came in Scholar's Library (RA).

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 19364
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2009 6:24 PM

Paul Golder:

Rosie Perera:
That's strange. I don't see the IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament listed in any of the base packages.

I know it came in Scholar's Library (RA).

Just the NT and not the OT?

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 9 2009 6:47 PM

Aaron Alvarez:
Based on what I have seen on the forum postings there are some things still to come.  My question is that I have just bought L4 and have the essential IVP reference collection, is it yet possible to access the IVP collection from L4 or is it something I will need to wait for? 

It is possible to use it with L4. In fact if you use this string for a collection you can make a collection of your IVP Reference Collection Resources.

“Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels“ OR “Dictionary of Paul and His Letters” OR “Dictionary of the Later New Testament and Its Developments” OR “Dictionary of New Testament Background” OR “IVP Bible Background Commentary: Old Testament” OR “IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament” OR “New Bible Dictionary“ OR “New Bible Commentary” OR “Hard Sayings of the Bible” OR “The Dictionary of Biblical Imagery” OR “New Bible Atlas” OR “New Dictionary of Biblical Theology” OR “New Dictionary of Theology” OR “Pocket Dictionary for the Study of New Testament Greek” OR “Pocket Dictionary of Apologetics and Philosophy of Religion” OR “Pocket Dictionary of Biblical Studies” OR “Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms” OR “King James Bible”

Posts 10
Christopher Heil | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 12 2009 7:48 AM

I did have the Logos Lesson Builder installed with L3.  Maybe that is how it got included.  Looking through my library, the NT Commentary is the only book from the collection I have in L4.

Posts 8653
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 17 2010 11:07 AM

The IVP Background NT came included in Logos QB version.  I know because I used to own that Scholar's package, the I sold it and then purchased Scholars Silver L3 Series X, then upgraded to Gold, and then when Logos 4 came out upgraded to Platinum.  I sure miss the IVP Background NT commentary but I'm planning on getting it again along with the other resources included in the IVP Reference library as soon as I get some input on the other resources.

Posts 34446
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 17 2010 2:51 PM

Douglas Alvarenga:
 I sure miss the IVP Background NT

If you ever owned it, you should still have access to it. Contact customer service if you have the serial number or it appears in your purchase history.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 19364
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 17 2010 4:41 PM

MJ. Smith:

Douglas Alvarenga:
 I sure miss the IVP Background NT

If you ever owned it, you should still have access to it.

Not if he sold it. He said he sold it.

Posts 8653
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 17 2010 8:30 PM

Correct, I sold it, so once you transfer  your licenses you no longer have access to it or any other book from that QB package.  Wow, QB sounds OLD...hehehe...But I'm sure glad I grew out of it.  I see the Scholar's package of the past and today's one and I still wonder why people buy it.  I guess I grew out of it and needed something more substantial like Platinum and the other books I've added.  Hopefully if there's a new "upgrade" for Platinum sometime soon, I hope they include other commentaries as well.  I'd like to see them give us Platinum owners the new PNTC volumes that just came out and the new NAC volumea that have come out and that will come out soon, plus have them include the REAL HALOT to supplement the concise edition we have so we can have the BDAG/HALOT bundle since we already have BDAG.  I would also like for them to include Lenski's set, Wycliffe's commentaries OT & NT, and to throw in the new HD commentaries on Philippians & Romans when they come out of prepub...hehehe...I guess I'm asking for too much, but hey, if we get the chance to pay a small upgrade price why not? That way we'll all benefit from my dream upgrade. Big Smile

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 17 2010 9:04 PM

Douglas Alvarenga:
The IVP Background NT came included in Logos QB version

If I recall correctly QB was what I started with and it also included Barclay's Daily Study Bible. I sold that license and bought a new one instead of upgrading. I did not know I would lose some titles doing that.  Upgrading is the better route.

As far as the IVP stuff, I already had the Essential Library Version 2 but think the additional volumes included in Version 3 are worth the sale prices you can get on it. I just wish there was a cheaper upgrade price so I wouldn't think I'm paying twice for the first half of the titles. This collection is still one of the greatest values offered by a third party. (I went ahead and bought Version 3 and am thinking about paying the transfer fee to move Version 2 Collection to my wife's license.)

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 8653
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 17 2010 9:16 PM

I just purchased the IVP Reference 3.0 version.  I'm really looking forward to getting it.  All those resources for less than $100 bucks was quite a deal!  I do feel a little bit like you do Matt.  I already own some of the resources included in the disk so I, too, wish there was some special discount for those of us who own some of the resources included in the 3.0 or 2.0 CDs.  Still, for less than $100 bucks the NT dictionary set is well worth the price! Can't wait to get the CD to install it and start learning about Paul in a more in-depth way!

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS