Missing Notes...Aaaah!

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 33
Sidney_W | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 24 2009 8:47 PM

Shalom,

I typed some notes in L4 and I can't seem to locate them anymore. Does anyone know where they're stored or how to retrieve them. I mean I can't find one.

Thanks,

Sid

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 8:50 PM

Avishalom:

Shalom,

I typed some notes in L4 and I can't seem to locate them anymore. Does anyone know where they're stored or how to retrieve them. I mean I can't find one.

Thanks,

Sid

Saved notes can be located here, on the right side of the File menu

Posts 33
Sidney_W | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 24 2009 9:08 PM

Okay, my notes are not coming up like that. However, "handouts" appear(I don't recall saving them but hey, o.k.).

I found my notes but I have to type in a big section of Scripture and my notes for those sectons pop up in "My content". If I select a note from there the "My content" section blanks out so I can't select it anymore eventhough there were additional notes for other veses in that section.

Am I saving my notes wrong? Again, they're not appearing as they are in your pic.

Posts 350
Chuck P. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 6:56 AM

This is the reason I've never used Notes in V3 and now in V4...When I study I keep MS Word open and stack my notes into it and later I can retrieve them as needed and make a document/lesson.  I have an external disk drive and continually  save my word processing folder for backup reasons...I've always felt more comfortable about that...but, that's just me....

Chuck

Laptop: Lenovo P580 - 15.6" IdeaPad Laptop
 - 6GB Memory - 750GB Hard Drive - Windows 7
 Iphone5s            Logos 7, Bronze

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 7:01 AM

Avishalom:
Okay, my notes are not coming up like that. However, "handouts" appear(I don't recall saving them but hey, o.k.).

Where are you typing these notes? are you typing them into the note sections of a passage guide or are you starting a separate note file by going to file>notes?

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 7:27 AM

Avishalom:

I found my notes but I have to type in a big section of Scripture and my notes for those sectons pop up in "My content". If I select a note from there the "My content" section blanks out so I can't select it anymore eventhough there were additional notes for other veses in that section.

Am I saving my notes wrong? Again, they're not appearing as they are in your pic.

Your notes should be automatically saved.  If they aren't, we have a bug in Logos and this is SERIOUS.  How did you create the note file?  Did you give it a name?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 33
Sidney_W | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 7:59 AM

Okay, I don't remember how I actually activated the notes options. It must have been through "File, notes," and not by Right Clicking on the verse and selecting notes. I say that because when I right click on a verse, I don't see the option to "add a note" but I do see an option to "add notes" to notes I already have.

Also, in L3, when I added notes to a particular verse there was a graphic(sheet of paper?) placed beside that verse and no such thing happens on L4. 

-----UPDATE------I just tried to save notes and got so confused I stopped. It seems if I create via "FILE, NOTES" that only creates a drawer to put all my NOTES in and I have to access those notes by continually going to "FILE, NOTES" instead of it appearing in the passage guide when I go back to that verse. These notes never appear in either "My Content" or at the very top selection which I assume where notes go.

However, if I type these notes into the top section of the Passage Guide, they won't appear in the "FILE, NOTES" or as a graphic beside the verse. The only way to retreive these notes is by guessing where(verse numbers) I placed them. That's frustrating because if you take a lot of notes it's impossible  to guess what verses contain notes.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 8:20 AM

Avishalom:
However, if I type these notes into the top section of the Passage Guide, they won't appear in the "FILE, NOTES" or as a graphic beside the verse. The only way to retreive these notes is by guessing where(verse numbers) I placed them. That's frustrating because if you take a lot of notes it's impossible  to guess what verses contain notes.

Ah, I thought that's where you might be saving them. that's the way the passage guide notes work at present. I was a strong advocate for these, and still see great value in being able to attach a note to a guide section, but now think the better way is it allow a note to be attached to the guide the same way they are attached to a verse.

Posts 34432
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 10:51 AM

Avishalom:
These notes never appear in either "My Content" or at the very top selection which I assume where notes go.

I've not had trouble getting the notes from either source to appear in My Content - but I rarely attach a note to a selection rather than a reference. While I expected a list of Passage Guides rather than a mark in the text, I agree that the lack of visibility for the Guide notes is a major problem. I have temporarily stopped making notes in Logos - my primary purpose for having Logos - until L4 has matured a bit more.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 11:15 AM

Avishalom:

Okay, I don't remember how I actually activated the notes options. It must have been through "File, notes," and not by Right Clicking on the verse and selecting notes. I say that because when I right click on a verse, I don't see the option to "add a note" but I do see an option to "add notes" to notes I already have.

Also, in L3, when I added notes to a particular verse there was a graphic(sheet of paper?) placed beside that verse and no such thing happens on L4. 

-----UPDATE------I just tried to save notes and got so confused I stopped. It seems if I create via "FILE, NOTES" that only creates a drawer to put all my NOTES in and I have to access those notes by continually going to "FILE, NOTES" instead of it appearing in the passage guide when I go back to that verse. These notes never appear in either "My Content" or at the very top selection which I assume where notes go.

If you don't have an icon in the text to which you wish to attach a note, you aren't using notes.  It must be the Passage Guide.  I've never used the Passage Guide yet (and have only played around with Notes since they're not yet ready for prime time), but I note that it says in the Help file "Use Passage Gude to generate a wide range of information about a specific Bible passage."  This tells me that the reason you aren't getting an icon is because it is already supposed to be dedicated to ONE passage.  I would suggest that you use the "File | Notes" option.  Better yet, use L3 for your notes until they improve on L4 notes.  I agree with MJ that I'm not creating notes in L4 at the moment.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 33
Sidney_W | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 4:46 PM

I agree thanks to everyone. I just love the little icon in L3 and the easy access to my notes. Please simplify L4.

Crying

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 7:31 PM

Avishalom:

I agree thanks to everyone. I just love the little icon in L3 and the easy access to my notes. Please simplify L4.

Crying

שָׁלוֹם

Peace to you, Avishalom!          *smile*

Please be just a bit patient for a while longer until you get to know L4 better.      L4 notes are far superior to L3 notes.  Firstly, one can search one's notes in L4.  Really great.  Secondly, if you save a note on a Bible Passage that is NOT selected, that note will appear in all your Bibles.  If you select a passage, the note will only appear in that particular translation.

Also,  you can colour your note headings so that they stand out, or you can use colours in order to remind yourself of different ideas ..    ........  different categories .......                   ........     whatever!  Just like in L3, in L4 clicking on your note opens it up  ..                 Look at the "help" file, and I think you will find other improvements over L4.                       

My point here, Avishalom, is that I believe you will prefer L4 notes once you give L4 a bit more of a chance........

oh, well!       I've been wrong before ..........           *smile*

Yours in Christ,

..........    Mel

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 25 2009 8:21 PM

Milford Charles Murray:

Please be just a bit patient for a while longer until you get to know L4 better.      L4 notes are far superior to L3 notes.  Firstly, one can search one's notes in L4.  Really great.  Secondly, if you save a note on a Bible Passage that is NOT selected, that note will appear in all your Bibles.  If you select a passage, the note will only appear in that particular translation.

Oh no !  I hadn't noticed before that the note icons appear even when the note file is closed.  They need to be turned off when the note file isn't open (unless a particular note file is to be considered always open as in L3).  I don't want my notes appearing whenever a text is open except in the case of General Notes.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 27 2009 7:29 PM

George Somsel:

Milford Charles Murray:

Oh no !  I hadn't noticed before that the note icons appear even when the note file is closed.  They need to be turned off when the note file isn't open (unless a particular note file is to be considered always open as in L3).  I don't want my notes appearing whenever a text is open except in the case of General Notes.

Rejoice, George!           *smile*

Here you may have your cake and eat it too. .............      that little triple thingie has the option to turn off or on your notes and/or highlighting ..

Yours in Christ,

Mel

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 27 2009 7:57 PM

Milford Charles Murray:
Here you may have your cake and eat it too. .............      that little triple thingie has the option to turn off or on your notes and/or highlighting ..

Thanks.  I didn't have enough note files in L4 to check this before so I created a General Notes file and put a test link in to test it.  I find that turning off a particular note file works WHETHER OR NOT THE NOTE FILE IS OPEN.  That is not good.  It should show the note if the note file is open even though it is set to the OFF position.  That is the way it worked in L3 and I think it is prefereable.  I would want my General Notes to display under any and all circumstances (whether or not the note file is open)  while I only want the other notes to display when the note file is open.  This still needs some work, but being able to turn off notes when not wanted is an improvement over their constant display.  The only problem is that you need to remember to turn them back on.   When they get improvements made to L4 notes I will consider transferring my notes to L4.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2009 6:01 AM

George Somsel:

Milford Charles Murray:

Thanks.  I didn't have enough note files in L4 to check this before so I created a General Notes file and put a test link in to test it.  I find that turning off a particular note file works WHETHER OR NOT THE NOTE FILE IS OPEN.  That is not good.  It should show the note if the note file is open even though it is set to the OFF position.  That is the way it worked in L3 and I think it is prefereable.  I would want my General Notes to display under any and all circumstances (whether or not the note file is open)  while I only want the other notes to display when the note file is open.  This still needs some work, but being able to turn off notes when not wanted is an improvement over their constant display.  The only problem is that you need to remember to turn them back on.   When they get improvements made to L4 notes I will consider transferring my notes to L4.

me too, George!

......   Mel

Posts 34432
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2009 3:30 PM

Avishalom:
type in a big section of Scripture and my notes for those sectons pop up in "My content"

Odd, mine appear without anymore more than a reference (citation)

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 34432
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2009 3:34 PM

Philip Spitzer:
now think the better way is it allow a note to be attached to the guide the same way they are attached to a verse.

I don't see this as an either/or situation ... one resolves the multi-verse reference problem, the other is the standard annotation of a resource feature.

Posts 34432
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 28 2009 3:36 PM

George Somsel:
I find that turning off a particular note file works WHETHER OR NOT THE NOTE FILE IS OPEN.  That is not good.

Actually I find it "very good" although I do see how for some workflows it wouldn't be an advantage.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS