Page 6 of 14 (267 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last »
This post has 266 Replies | 21 Followers

Posts 2910
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 17 2013 5:03 AM

[quote user="Bill Anderson"]I open up the highlighting palette in the Tools menu and leave it open

[/quote]

Bill, is it not possible to use shortcuts?

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 1825
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 17 2013 6:46 AM

Tes:

[quote user="Bill Anderson"]I open up the highlighting palette in the Tools menu and leave it open

[/quote]

Yes, I select the text and hit "y" and it highlights in yellow. (this is when I have the Type cover attached to my Surface) When I am in tablet mode (cover flipped back) it is easier to tap on the color with the Highlighter tab open than it is to call up the onscreen keyboard and select "y").

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 2910
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 17 2013 9:39 AM

David Thomas:

Tes:

Bill Anderson:
I open up the highlighting palette in the Tools menu and leave it open

Yes, I select the text and hit "y" and it highlights in yellow. (this is when I have the Type cover attached to my Surface) When I am in tablet mode (cover flipped back) it is easier to tap on the color with the Highlighter tab open than it is to call up the onscreen keyboard and select "y").

Thank you David.One more quetion, is it possible to type by both hands? How comfartable is it typing? Is it phisical? Or it is like the ipad keyboard? Is it possible to type with both hands without seeing?

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 20
Vincent Xavier Shaw | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 17 2013 9:57 AM

It touch type 95 words per minute accurate on the Type Cover, which has real mechanical keys.  I use shortcuts all the time, so it works as good if not better than most keyboards.  The short travel keeps it relatively quiet too.

When folded backwards, because it is a cover, it automatically shuts off the keyboard, to prevent accidental presses.  But it's easy to disconnect and reconnect, just click in.  :)  Try it in store or purchase at BestBuy where you get plenty of to know if this fits you.

Posts 2910
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 17 2013 10:25 AM

[quote user="Tes"]

[quote user="David Thomas"]

[quote user="Tes"]

[/quote]

[/quote]   Yes, I select the text and hit "y" and it highlights in yellow. (this is when I have the Type cover attached to my Surface) When I am in tablet mode (cover flipped back) it is easier to tap on the color with the Highlighter tab open than it is to call up the onscreen keyboard and select "y").

[/quote]

Thank you David.One more question, is it possible to type by both hands? How comfortable is it typing? Is it physical? Or it is like the iPad keyboard? Is it possible to type by both hands without seeing?

[/quote]

I am asking more questions,because we don't have it here yet.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 17 2013 3:25 PM

Hi David and others.

I know how to turn on highlighting and use shortcuts on my windows laptop but hoped the tablet gave me a way to set the highlighter style and/or color with a set and forget setting?  Am I dreaming?

Also, can you all weigh in on how warm the back of your Surface Pro gets after you leave it on.  I hope you will be honest...its warm, huh?  Warm enough you can use it as a hand warmer on cold days, right? (assuming you are not actually being radiated somehow).

I am giving serious thought to this Surface.  Its a tie between this and the Samsung 700T (which scares me because of the keyboard disconnects that many report including Lisa at mobiletechreview).  I also like the Hp Envy but its an atom and slower.  A close third would be the Lenova Thinkpad 2.

Decisions...decisions.

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 17 2013 4:39 PM

Anyone heard of this one

• Toshiba U295t

Its not out yet but apparently is supposed to be really great and really expensive.

Heavy sigh?  I wonder if the Microsoft "Easy Bake" Surface will do afterall?

Posts 1825
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 18 2013 7:26 AM

Heat has not been an issue personally, but I tend to close windows that I am not using. My taskbar usually only displays these open programs - IE, Outlook, Word and Logos.

I noticed the heat of the display models at the Microsoft Store, but they were under bright lights and were running demos that show off the brilliant screen.

When I am in tablet mode (preaching, listening to a preacher in church, or websurfing on the couch) I tend not to stress the system. If I am multi-tasking or running complex searches I use the surface in laptop mode with an external mouse and the type keyboard so I am not handling the back of the Surface where the vents are located. Honestly, the fan noise on my former Dell 15z laptop was more of an irritation than the heat of the Surface.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 18 2013 8:07 AM

Joshua Lieder:

Hi David and others.

I know how to turn on highlighting and use shortcuts on my windows laptop but hoped the tablet gave me a way to set the highlighter style and/or color with a set and forget setting?  Am I dreaming?

Also, can you all weigh in on how warm the back of your Surface Pro gets after you leave it on.  I hope you will be honest...its warm, huh?  Warm enough you can use it as a hand warmer on cold days, right? (assuming you are not actually being radiated somehow).

I am giving serious thought to this Surface.  Its a tie between this and the Samsung 700T (which scares me because of the keyboard disconnects that many report including Lisa at mobiletechreview).  I also like the Hp Envy but its an atom and slower.  A close third would be the Lenova Thinkpad 2.

Decisions...decisions.

Joshua,

As for the heat of the Surface Pro, it is warmer than I would like to be honest with you. That said, it is much, much better as far as heat goes and battery life if you modify the power settings. I turned down the brightness of the screen and scaled back the CPU and this has resulted in an acceptable level of heat for me and also better battery life.

As for your question about the tablet giving you a setting for your highlighting, remember, with the Surface Pro you are running full Logos 5 desktop. So, anything that you can set on your desktop, you can set on your tablet. Stated another way, if you can't set it on your desktop, you won't be able to set it on your tablet.

Below is a screen shot of my Surface Pro with the highlighting panel open.

Posts 20
Vincent Xavier Shaw | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 18 2013 9:23 AM

One more expensive and difficult to find option:  The Asus Transformer Book.

http://www.asus.com/vivo/en/transformerBook.htm

It has extra storage via 500GB Hard Drive and battery (thus stabilizing weight) in the dock.  The screen is bigger.  Like the Yoga 13, it's physically more of a laptop than a tablet.  Sadly, the price and unavailability makes this a lesser option.

On the other hand, the Surface Pro is largely available!  The Surface Pro IS a laptop, in a tablet shape.

Microsoft directly is offering its $100 extended warranty with Accidental Damage protection for $100.  That kinda seals the deal.  They are really standing behind their design.

Regarding typing on your lap:  http://pocketnow.com/2013/02/11/apple-microsoft-surface-lap-lessons

Here's a thorough review:  http://pocketnow.com/2013/03/28/microsoft-surface-pro-review

Additionally, keyboards in the future may include batteries in them, via the Pro's specially designed accessory spine, that has extra powered electrical contacts.  But for now, I'm glad with what I have.

I'd be glad to help you all out with more decision-making.  But please consider, nothing's perfect.  These are tools.  We have to pull the trigger and get to work.

Posts 1825
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 18 2013 10:18 AM

Before I purchased, I saw this video review which I believe fairly mentioned many of the pros and cons of the major players. Asus was not part of this comparison, so take it for what it is worth.

After watching this I bought the 128 GB Surface Pro

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 19 2013 11:26 AM

According to the latest rumours, Microsoft's next batch of Surface tablets will include a 7-inch edition, which will go up against the Google Nexus 7 and iPad mini and which will be available before Christmas.
Posts 490
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 19 2013 11:33 AM

Joshua Lieder:

According to the latest rumours, Microsoft's next batch of Surface tablets will include a 7-inch edition, which will go up against the Google Nexus 7 and iPad mini and which will be available before Christmas.

These will be Windows RT devices, so hopefully the Windows 8 Logos app will receive more downloads and eventually get updated someday to something more usable.

RMansfield@mac.com
http://thislamp.com 
youtube.com/user/rfmansfield
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 2
Brad Hill | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 8 2013 4:54 AM

I'm fairly new here... enjoying the desktop app but would really love to see a more complete experience on the Windows 8 Metro side. I use a Surface Pro as my only computer. Not having the more touch-friendly version of the app is limiting how much I can use it when I'm not at my desk.

Are there any updates on the availability of a more robust Logos app for Win8?  Apologies in advance if I missed another thread, I looked around but couldn't find much recent info.

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 18 2013 5:39 AM

Mr. Hill...your last post here is right on target.

I say amen....but to be fair I didnt spend the money on the Microsoft Surface because its a heavy, overpriced, oven-like, handwarmer with inadequate sound, imho.

Posts 80
Daniel R Bartholomew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 7:24 AM

I just got my Surface Pro (with 256 GB HD) a few days ago.  I'm still learning a lot, but I'm very pleased with it.

To be honest, the Metro App is disappointing after using the Apple App for a long time--it's functionality is extremely limited.  However, I love having the full Logos experience on a Tablet.

I guess I'd like to see a continued enhancement of using touch-enabled/Windows 8 gestures on the full Logos 5 version, rather than further development of the Metro app.

Some have mentioned the heat--I haven't noticed it to be a problem, though my wife complains that my body temperature is always abnormally high.  Smile  The weight, likewise, doesn't seem to be much of an issue.  Battery life IS disappointing, though keep in mind that you're not running some kind of Atom processor, but a full i5 Intel chip.

As a side note, I still have my old, old Acer TravelMate C110 I got 10 years ago.  I loaded Logos on that years ago, and loved that old computer.  I thought the world of computing would go with such Tablets, but it took Apple's marketing and packaging to really re-awaken that market.

I can see me falling in love with this Surface Pro like I did that old Acer.  And yes, I remember that the Acer's battery life was disappointing, too.

Maybe MS will develop a new type/touch cover (I use the type cover and love it) that is slightly thicker that could have a secondary battery.  However, as the type cover is usually used in a more desktop-ish environment (where power access may be less of an issue), it may not add that much functionality.

Posts 490
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 27 2013 9:27 AM

The Surface RT turned out to be a gateway drug for me. I traded up to a full Surface Pro (though a 128 unlike your 256, Daniel). It's the first full Windows computer I've bought since 1997. 

I agree that the only downside is the battery life. The Pro only lasts half as long as the RT, but will do twice as much. Nevertheless, it seems to me that the the metro version of apps are still valuable on the Pro because they seem to be much less intensive on the processor and thus don't drain the battery as quickly. It makes sense for companies such as Logos to continue to develop these apps while perhaps making their core product more touch-friendly at the same time. 

A metro app doesn't have to be as powerful as the regular one, but if it will do most things in a pinch, it can be used in place of the full app in most situations with the freedom to use the full app if necessary. 

RMansfield@mac.com
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 1825
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 4 2013 1:25 PM

Surface Pro Prices just dropped - http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57596910-75/microsoft-cuts-surface-pro-tablet-prices-by-$100/

In my opinion this is the best single piece of hardware to run Logos5.

L5 for Win still outperforms L5 for Apple (although parity is getting closer)

Surface Pro's tablet form allows me to use it for preaching, but when in my study I can connect to mouse and external monitor and do complex searches with the full L5 feature set.

Posts 490
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 5 2013 5:22 PM

David Thomas:

L5 for Win still outperforms L5 for Apple (although parity is getting closer)

David, I echo your praise for the Surface Pro. It's a very underrated machine--and the first full Windows machine I have bought since 1997 (unless you count the Acer Netbook I bought a few years ago to make into a Hackintosh). I especially love the stylus, which is a much better experience on the Pro than trying to use a mushy capacitive stylus on an iPad.

However, in regard to speed, L5 starts up much slower on my Surface Pro than it does on my MacBook Pro (although both of them take longer than they should this far into development IMO). And on my Surface Pro, sometimes startup gets hung while (I guess) trying to connect to Logos' servers, before the main window ever comes up. If it never connects it will just keep trying, and I have to force it to quit. After that, it won't even start up again at all unless I reboot the entire computer. This may be a Windows thing--I don't know--but I don't have that problem on my Mac.

RMansfield@mac.com
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Page 6 of 14 (267 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS