Personal Books - Sermons

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 218
Scott Burke | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Oct 26 2012 4:15 PM

First, I want to thank the Logos team for putting the implementation of the Sermon File type in PB.  Secondly, if anyone has any PB's where they have put multiple sermon's in, would you please share it.  You can remove all your text and so forth.  I am curious as to how you have divided your Word documents and set them up.  I am looking to put together a template that I can use and am trying to determine what would work best for my needs.  I'm curious to see what others have done which may help in me developing my template.  Thank you and Lord bless.

Posts 2381
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 26 2012 6:38 PM

Scott Burke:

if anyone has any PB's where they have put multiple sermon's in, would you please share it.  You can remove all your text and so forth.  I am curious as to how you have divided your Word documents and set them up.

Did you see this? htttp://community.logos.com/forums/p/57234/409665.aspx#409665

My plan is for one sermon per book, but it is one idea. I will message you in case you want to email me and I will provide my Word document.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 383
Stephen Thorp | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 27 2012 3:09 AM

Hi, Logos has just downloaded the latest update, but I still don't have Sermon File Type or Illustrations listed under File types when I try to compile a book. I can import the sample sermon under 'Monograph' but of course that is not the same thing. Can anyone help please?

Posts 5794
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 27 2012 3:27 AM

Stephen Thorp:

Hi, Logos has just downloaded the latest update, but I still don't have Sermon File Type or Illustrations listed under File types when I try to compile a book. I can import the sample sermon under 'Monograph' but of course that is not the same thing. Can anyone help please?

Stephen there is no Sermon File Type or Illustrations File type.  I use bible notes as the file type and then follow the format in the sample sermon.  They key is the table at the start of the sermon / illustration in you word document.

Posts 383
Stephen Thorp | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 27 2012 3:36 AM

Right got it! Thanks Andrew for your help and quick response. Yes

Posts 97
Andreas Holmberg | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 11:43 AM

Andrew Mckenzie:

Stephen there is no Sermon File Type or Illustrations File type.  I use bible notes as the file type and then follow the format in the sample sermon.  They key is the table at the start of the sermon / illustration in you word document.

Hello Andrew and others

I'm trying to decide which file type to use for my sermons. What made you settle for the Bible notes file type?

Has anyone else decided to go for another file type, if so which one? I would have thought Bible commentary made sense but maybe I'm mistaken?

And what about strategies for your sermon PBB? Do you create one PBB for every sermon? Or do you collect sermons inte groups per bibble book or according to a given lectionary or ...?

I appreciate any suggestions or advice.

Andreas

Pastor in Stockholm, Church of Sweden

Posts 33
Mark Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 1:35 PM

Ditto!

And why isn't there?  With the headers that the Word macros create, it looks as if there should be a "Sermon" file type and an Illustration file type.  Why isn't there and/or why doesn't it show up in Logos?  Do we really have to decide to label sermons as Bible Notes, or Monographs, this seems silly and will make it more difficult to isolate sermons?

Posts 1805
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 5 2012 4:50 PM

Mark Davis:
 Do we really have to decide to label sermons as Bible Notes, or Monographs, this seems silly and will make it more difficult to isolate sermons?

Agreed.   Huh?

Bob P. Why can´t a sermon be labled a sermon?  Or is it covered some where else?

www.hombrereformado.org  Solo a Dios la Gloria   Apoyo

Posts 273
Brad Fry | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 6:51 AM

Tom Rach:
Why can´t a sermon be labled a sermon?  Or is it covered some where else?

I'd like to see some answers to Tom's question, please

Posts 11933
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 8:21 AM

Brad Fry:

Tom Rach:
Why can´t a sermon be labled a sermon?  Or is it covered some where else?

I'd like to see some answers to Tom's question, please

Brad, Tom,

my understanding would be that typically all sermons are in one big Logos file (one could name it "Sermons" or so), maybe built from dozens smaller Word docs.

"Monograph" is Logos type for anything that is not special - however, some preachers might use elaborate PB tags to have the Sermon file flow with the bible text (then Bible Notes or Bible Commentary would be good), others might make this follow some kind of Lectionary. Thus, with no dedicated type, you actually gain flexibility. 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 2381
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 10:36 AM

Tom Rach:
Why can´t a sermon be labled a sermon?

isn't "sermon" rather arbitrary as a label? In my own preaching over the years some sermons are very text-based (word by word or phrase by phrase) and are more like a commentary or Bible Note; other sermons are more topical and Monograph is a better description. Yet I (and the congregation to which I preach) would consider them all "sermons". Some of what I have heard from others they would consider a sermon, but I would consider personal thoughts (monograph).

WITHOUT making judgments about their theology, If I bought a collection of messages from John MacArthur and a collection of messages from Joel Osteen, a compiler could easily consider both to be "sermon" collections, but the content and format would provide VERY different  impact on my study of a passage.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 161
James William Roberts, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 12:19 PM

Send me an email and I will send you DB file to manage your sermons.

https://sites.google.com/a/oldpaths.org.uk/oldpaths-the-sword-of-the-spiritthe-word-of-god--eph-617b/personal-books/jamesroberts-docx

Posts 1805
Tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 6:32 PM

NB.Mick:

Brad, Tom,

my understanding would be that typically all sermons are in one big Logos file (one could name it "Sermons" or so), maybe built from dozens smaller Word docs.

"Monograph" is Logos type for anything that is not special - however, some preachers might use elaborate PB tags to have the Sermon file flow with the bible text (then Bible Notes or Bible Commentary would be good), others might make this follow some kind of Lectionary. Thus, with no dedicated type, you actually gain flexibility.

Thanks everyone how has posted  for  your input.   

I know that in the sermon file addin it came out as one big file (though that was rather stupid myself).

Monograph fits as a general catch all BUT it catches too many things.

I like many of you give various types of  sermonos, studies, reflections, they are all different, SO why not give us a few more options.

Just my preference :) 

Thanks again for your help, Tom 

www.hombrereformado.org  Solo a Dios la Gloria   Apoyo

Posts 11
Charles T Wesco | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2012 7:01 AM

Could you send me your sample DB file?  I do not know how to get your email to "send me an email"  -CandSWesco@gmail.com

Posts 204
David Salazar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2012 8:07 AM

Aside from Sermons and Illustrations, I'd like another category: Devotionals

I know that in conferences devotional can be about 1 hour long, but I'm referring to the 5-15minute devotionals. I keep them separate from my sermon docs that are 30-45 minutes sermon.

I'd like it separate just to know what I'm dealing with.  If i needs something short, then I wouldn't need to swim through all my regular sermons.

Posts 514
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 5 2013 8:40 AM

Scott Burke:
First, I want to thank the Logos team for putting the implementation of the Sermon File type in PB.  Secondly, if anyone has any PB's where they have put multiple sermon's in, would you please share it.  You can remove all your text and so forth.  I am curious as to how you have divided your Word documents and set them up.  I am looking to put together a template that I can use and am trying to determine what would work best for my needs.  I'm curious to see what others have done which may help in me developing my template.  Thank you and Lord bless.

Scott,

This thread is helpful, with sample documents including a blank sermon doc: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/57324.aspx

Follow the instructions on compiling a Personal Book such as those mentioned above or on the Wiki.

I'm not an expert at compiling PBs, but have found some success in starting to add sermons to a single sermon PB recently.  I don't use any macros at all. I simply use a MS Word template that I have prepared for making a document for each sermon.  I have some of the fields pre-populated (e.g. Speaker and Venue) to save time, as well as placeholders for main points. subpoints etc. to form a typical structure of a sermon.

But the main thing is that I have the title, main points, subpoints etc all listed in their respective styles, ready for overtyping (or pasting) with the actual text I want to use.  When I've filled in the contents,  I print out that document for preaching, and then after making corrections (the sermon actually preached often has a prepared illustration or application omitted, or other verses added etc) I copy and paste the whole of the contents on to the end of my Word doc that contains all my sermons, which I compile as a personal book in L5.

The key for me was to use 'styles' in MS Word:

Heading 1 for the title (with the syntax table located just after the title)
Heading 2 for the Introduction, Main points, Conclusion or Summary,
Heading 3 for Subpoints,
Heading 4 for illustrations, applications.

That way, when compiled, I see a list of sermon titles in the navigation list, and I can drill down to see the main points, and drill further to see the subpoints, and so on.  The index also works well based on the info in the syntax table. 

I also use a different 'style set' for the compiled Word doc, which is all black text, whereas the style I use for the individual sermon files that I print out has different colours for the different headings, to help me know where I am on the page (when pasting all the contents into the doc for compiling, the contents adopt the style of the Logos doc without needing to adjust anything). That way, I have individual Word documents for each sermon, formatted for preaching, as well as a differently formatted single Word document with all the sermons together which is recompiled in L5 each time a new sermon is added.

If you want, I can send you a copy of the individual sermon template Word doc (compatible with Word 2007 onwards), as well as the Word template for the PB compilation also.  Email me at johnduffy at cgcf dot ie

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS