LN Index for Swanson's Dictionary of Biblical Languages?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 136
Mark Hoffman | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 30 2012 9:55 AM

The Louw-Nida Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament based on Semantic Domains (LN) is a great resource for finding and comparing Greek words in a specific semantic domain.

There is no comparable work for the Hebrew OT, but we do have:

• The Semantic Dictionary of Biblical Hebrew from the UBS, but this resource is incomplete, and very little progress seems to be occurring. (It's also rather confusing trying to negotiate the site...)
  • Logos offers James Swanson's A Dictionary of Biblical Languages: Hebrew Old Testament which provides links to the semantic domains identified by Louw-Nida. Swanson is well aware of the drawbacks and limitations of such a solution, but it definitely does have value.

BUT (and I'm getting to a question), I can't seem to find anywhere where Swanson's analysis has been indexed in terms of the semantic domains. That is, w/ LN, I can go to domain 1.69-78 and find all the terms related to "Bodies of Water." I can't do the same w/ Swanson, and LN codes embedded in the definitions are not one of the search fields. Thus, it seems the only way to find the Hebrew words in a domain is to do a laborious and cumbersome search within the document using CTRL-F.

Am I missing something? Is there another resource I'm overlooking?

It would be work but not overly difficult (I think) to supply a LN domain index for Swanson...

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 4:59 PM

Peace, Mark, et. al.           *smile*

Just came across this very thoughtful and meaningful post of 9 months ago ...

...    am wondering if this perhaps is a better time to look at this important need???

eh???         *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 9 2013 5:45 PM

Mark Hoffman:

The Louw-Nida Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament based on Semantic Domains (LN) is a great resource for finding and comparing Greek words in a specific semantic domain.

There is no comparable work for the Hebrew OT, but we do have:

• The Semantic Dictionary of Biblical Hebrew from the UBS, but this resource is incomplete, and very little progress seems to be occurring. (It's also rather confusing trying to negotiate the site...)
  • Logos offers James Swanson's A Dictionary of Biblical Languages: Hebrew Old Testament which provides links to the semantic domains identified by Louw-Nida. Swanson is well aware of the drawbacks and limitations of such a solution, but it definitely does have value.

BUT (and I'm getting to a question), I can't seem to find anywhere where Swanson's analysis has been indexed in terms of the semantic domains. That is, w/ LN, I can go to domain 1.69-78 and find all the terms related to "Bodies of Water." I can't do the same w/ Swanson, and LN codes embedded in the definitions are not one of the search fields. Thus, it seems the only way to find the Hebrew words in a domain is to do a laborious and cumbersome search within the document using CTRL-F.

Am I missing something? Is there another resource I'm overlooking?

It would be work but not overly difficult (I think) to supply a LN domain index for Swanson...

You can do a basic search on DBL Hebrew for the domain 1.69 (and more if you desire).

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 136
Mark Hoffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 10 2013 11:37 AM

Thank you, George. I see that the way you did this is to use the Basic search and look at all text. This works because LN will be coded with a ##.### format.

I do see that a search for 1.69 works, because it is the start of a sub-section in LN. A search for 1.75 will not work, however. I did find a workaround. It's inaccurate, but it will get you results to consider. I can search for <superset 1.75>

That will give me the any reference in which 1.75 is within the range.

Thanks.

Posts 26619
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 14 2013 9:57 PM

Mark Hoffman:
I do see that a search for 1.69 works, because it is the start of a sub-section in LN. A search for 1.75 will not work, however. I did find a workaround. It's inaccurate, but it will get you results to consider. I can search for <superset 1.75>

Because Louw-Nida is a datatype you should search using <LN 1.75> which will find 1.75 in a range of LN numbers.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 136
Mark Hoffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 15 2013 4:20 PM

Excellent, Dave! Thanks for providing that tip.

Posts 26619
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 15 2013 10:51 PM

As a further tip, right click any hyperlinked reference, choose Reference on the RHS and then select Search this Resource on the LHS to get the full search syntax e.g. for TDNT  <TDNT = TDNT Volume 5, Page 744>, which can be simplified to  <=TDNT 5.744> (exact match) or <TDNT 5.744> for a limited intersection match.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS